The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2014, 12:58 AM   #51
Squareforceone

Re: James and Rachael's Full Service '64

subed
Old 07-08-2014, 09:15 AM   #52
TypeSL2

Well, I guess I could do another small update for the new follower.

Got our new seats. They will eventually be recovered and have some padding put in them.

Also finally found a spare tire mount for sale and nabbed it.

I love it, the wife hates it. She said she will just appreciate the truck from the passenger's side view. lol

More updates to come next week. Will be working on it at a more steady pace after the wife's b-day weekend.

James
TypeSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:30 PM   #53
TypeSL2

I think I will call this wiring endeavor officially started. Started putting the underhood fuse block together last night. It is looking good so far. Still got a ways to go, but I am almost 50% done with the underhood fuse block.

The wires are all for the B+ and IGN power wires. That is why they are all red. The rest of the wires going in are going to be factory colored since the majority of them come from the factory LS harness.

I am going to start working on the interior fuse panel as soon as I figure out how many fuses and what they are all going to be for. Starting from scratch on the dash harness, so there is still a lot of work left. Just glad I finally got started on the part I have been looking most forward to, aside from finally driving it obviously.

James
Old 07-18-2014, 03:10 PM   #54
TypeSL2

More fuse block progress. This time on the interior fuse block. About 40-50% done with it now.

The 2 side by side.

And the back of fuse panle #2

James
Old 07-18-2014, 03:16 PM   #55
1963c-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeSL2 View Post
Well, I guess I could do another small update for the new follower.

Got our new seats. They will eventually be recovered and have some padding put in them.

Also finally found a spare tire mount for sale and nabbed it.

I love it, the wife hates it. She said she will just appreciate the truck from the passenger's side view. lol

More updates to come next week. Will be working on it at a more steady pace after the wife's b-day weekend.

James
Nice score on the carrier!!!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:54 PM   #56
TypeSL2

Thank you sir. I will finally be able to add my pictures to the carrier thread. Just gotta get an extra wheel/tire and modify the bracket to accept them and I will be adding it to the page.

James
Old 07-18-2014, 04:10 PM   #57
1963c-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeSL2 View Post
Thank you sir. I will finally be able to add my pictures to the carrier thread. Just gotta get an extra wheel/tire and modify the bracket to accept them and I will be adding it to the page.

James
Very cool. Looking forward to it. And they take some time to grow on you.....give the wife a few weeks and she'll come around. I get a lot of compliments off it....people just don't see them anymore and they are very nostalgic even though they are correct for our trucks.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:06 AM   #58
TypeSL2

More progress. Got the exhaust started on the truck yesterday. So far, I am loving it. It is getting welded tomorrow and then I will install it. Also finished up my fuel pump install in the tank. Pretty happy with how that turned out.

James
Old 08-05-2014, 12:23 PM   #59
TypeSL2

Have made more progress on the exhaust system. The back half is all cut to length and everything mocks up well. Just have to pick up some clamps and clamp it all into place. I am pretty pleased with how it has turned out.

Also got the rear disc brake brackets installed. The brake parts just showed up today, so now I am only waiting on my axles to come back from the machine shop. I will get some pics of the brakes mocked up tonight. I just want to see what it will look like with all the new fancy parts installed. Thanks CaptFab for all your hard work on this brake kit.

James
Old 11-10-2014, 05:36 PM   #60
TypeSL2

Finally was able to order my new axles from Moser. They weren't cheap, but they should last a long time. Got new bearings, seals and studs with them. Custom made so that the hub register fit the new wheels and brakes.

Finally back on the ground after months of messing with the axles.

Yesterday I mocked up a throttle pedal out of a '79 TA. Fits pretty great on the firewall next to the brake pedal. Hooked up the throttle cable and it opens and closes 100%. Super happy about that. I will get pictures of that stuff later this week, or maybe tonight. Also knocked out some wiring going to the firewall plug. Got the park/turn signals wired up, horn wired up, and the front half of the brake/taillights and reverse lights. And mostly mounted the seats finally. Just have to put the 8 nuts on the bottom of the bolts going through the floor. More wiring going on tonight. Would love to have the dash harness squared away this week. We will see what happens.

James
Old 11-15-2014, 07:11 PM   #61
TypeSL2

Got the firewall plug on the outside finished up. Still have to connect the headlights, taillights, reverse lights and tag light. Also have to wire up the fuel pump.

Got the hole cut for the shifter. Still have to fill the old hole. You can kinda see the gas pedal I am using in this picture.

Started on making the new battery tray. Just have to transfer this template to sheet metal and weld the stuff together and bolt it in. Already have the battery cables made, so just gotta get this finished up and I can start confirming all of my electrical stuff.

Just gotta finish up the battery tray, finish making up the fuel lines, wire up the fuel pump, put oil and coolant in it and I should be able to attempt the first startup.

James
Old 11-20-2014, 10:52 AM   #62
TypeSL2

Much progress has been made! Got about 80% of the fuel lines made.

Fuel filter adpaters to connect fuel filter to the metal fuel pipe. These will get installed tonight. Along with the fuel filter.

Nylon Lines to connect the fuel feed and return from the tank to the metal fuel pipes on the frame rail. These got installed last night.

This is the tool I used for 1 90* fitting...

...before it broke almost immediately. I ended up making the rest of that stuff with the clamps supplied in this kit and a dead blow hammer.

Hoping to have the fuel lines totally done tonight, and then I am left with just wiring and a battery tray before I can attempt startup.

James
Old 11-21-2014, 12:12 PM   #63
TypeSL2

Yet another update!! I got the fuel system 95% done last night. I am one union away from having a complete system.

Battery tray final mockup...

...And final assembly. Just have to drill some holes for the tray to bolt to the truck with. That may happen tonight.

How the engine bay sits as of now.

All that's left before I can attempt first startup:
Install final union onto fuel return line
Install battery tray
Install battery
Hook up all starter wires
Hook up ignition switch
Wire up fuel pump
Put in oil, coolant
Start truck???

James
Old 11-22-2014, 08:24 PM   #64
NEWFISHER

Sweet! Keep at it. I like the fuel lines vs expensive braided all the way.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:34 PM   #65
Blue666(2)

The truck looks great. I really like the mods you've done. What is the tie to Selinsgrove?
Blue666(2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 03:14 PM   #66
TypeSL2

The truck was originally bought at Selinsgrove to my understanding. The bumper looks pretty terrible and I am going to eventually swap it out for a different bumper. In the meantime, more updates!

Got the battery tray about 80% installed last night. Just have to install 1 more bolt and build a battery strap.

I am pretty happy with it. Not perfect by any means, but not bad for my first real fabrication project.

Got the fuel lines totally wrapped up, fuel pump wired up, vacuum lines routed, gas pedal installed, and battery cables routed and installed. Just have to finish up wiring the ignition switch and run the power to all of the fuse blocks. Then fluids and attempt startup.

James
Old 11-30-2014, 09:38 PM   #67
TypeSL2

I spent several hours yesterday finishing up wiring at the fuse panels and relays, mostly hung the exhaust, installed fuel filler neck, put gas in it, put oil in it and put coolant in it. This morning I finished up the wiring needed to start the truck up. First problem, had no fuel pressure. Found out that I wired up the fuel pump relay incorrectly. Quick, easy fix. Then I had a fuel leak just after the fuel filter. Then I had a fuel leak just before the fuel rail. Again, quick easy fixes. Tightened up fittings and now there are no fuel leaks.

Finally, attempted startup. She fired up, but sounded pretty weird. Best I can tell, bank 2 is not firing at all. The header on the driver's side is hot as hell on all runners, and all the runners on the passenger side are cool to the touch. I checked injectors, and all seem to be firing fine. The coils don't seem to be firing on bank 2. All coils are good because I swapped them from side to side and they are still only firing on the driver's side. I checked all of the wires from the coil plug to the pcm and all the wires tested perfect. Checked my power, it checked perfect. Checked my ground, found it was .2-.5 ohms with the key off and 3.5 ohms with the key on. I don't know if it is supposed to do that. I cleaned all the grounds and split one of the grounds to 2 separate locations on the back of the cylinder head. I am not sure if the ground is something I should be concerned about. So aside from that, everything else is checking fine, which leaves me with a bad PCM... Not sure what I am going to do now. I am thinking I am going to pick up another PCM, but unfortunately I have to have it programmed to remove the VATS and emissions stuff. So I have about another week or more until I can get and try a new PCM.

Here's the vid of how it sounds as of now. https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...81614310547093

James
Old 12-03-2014, 10:41 AM   #68
TypeSL2

Found the problem!! 3 befores and 1 after

It now fires on all 8 cylinders! I am so pumped! Just have to install header collector gaskets and it should run great. I am going to flush the fuel injectors with our fuel injector flush canister to try to clean it out the best I can. Hopefully this works to get the rest of that "laquer thinner" out. Still got a bunch of stuff to get done before I can drive it, but I am definitely getting closer!

James
Old 12-04-2014, 01:51 AM   #69
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yeah, that'll definitely cause a lack of fuel to those cylinders. Do you have anyone locally that cleans injectors? It might be worth getting them all cleaned and flow tested. We have a local guy here that is quite reasonable. In fact a forum member in PA sent his injectors here to get them cleaned.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:07 AM   #70
TypeSL2

I haven't really looked, but I got the truck hitting on all 8. I used the opportunity to run a fuel injector cleaner through them. It is the cleaner we use at my dealership. It definitely seemed to help. It idles a lot smoother now. Only issue I have now is a massive exhaust leak somewhere on the driver's side. I can't tell if it is from the header or just gaskets leaking. I am leaning towards a leak from a bad weld on the header or something. I plan on taking the header off soon and air checking it. If the injectors seem like they are still acting up, I will definitely take them off and get them cleaned and tested. Thanks for the suggestion.

James
Old 12-09-2014, 06:35 PM   #71
TypeSL2

I think I have found where my massive fuel leak is. I am just not sure how I am going to address it at the moment. It is leaking pretty good from the driver's side header flange. I am going to try loosening all of the bolts on the exhaust up and re-tightening them down a little more squarely. They are a touch crooked on the driver's side and I really think that is causing quite a bit of my leak. Maybe I will get lucky and it will mostly fix it.

James
Old 04-27-2015, 09:50 AM   #72
TypeSL2

Haven't been on here in a while, but there has been a whole lot of progress. I don't really have any pictures at the moment, but the truck runs and drives on jackstands. I don't have the brakes sorted yet, so I haven't been able to test drive it yet. I am having an incredibly difficult time with these brakes. Just can't seem to get all of the air out of them yet. Hoping to be driving the truck by this weekend though.

James
Old 05-07-2015, 09:18 AM   #73
TypeSL2

Finally drove it last night, for the 1st time since Oct 2013! She is still not hitting on all 8 while accelerating, so I am thinking these injectors are gonna have to come out and get clean and flow tested. I am just so happy I was finally able to drive it! More pics and vids to come.

James
Old 05-11-2015, 11:31 AM   #74
TypeSL2

Until Facebook screws up my links again, here are a couple new pictures. This thing has massive rake with the 2.5" drop spindles in front and stock out back. Took all the scrap out of my bed for the time being. Transmission is making a funny rattle/click noise when going above ~30 or so. Not sure where exactly it is coming from at the moment. Gonna drive it on jack stands and try to pinpoint the location of the noise.

Got the jack stuck when I first lowered it onto the ground after intalling the spindles.

James
Old 05-11-2015, 11:33 AM   #75
TypeSL2

Here's the brakes that I put on the front.

And the drop spindles.

I ordered the spindles on a Thursday morning around lunch time, they shipped to my door that Saturday. So MN to TN in 2 days! I couldn't have been more excited. I believe I ordered from Tom's Classics on eBay. I recommend them to everyone. Super fast, completely accurate order. Well worth the money.

James