The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2008, 10:14 PM   #1
Slik69

Points vs HEI 1969 C/10

Can someone tell me if my truckwill really run better with HEI ignition system. I did a tune on an older engine and for the most part, it's running ok/good..now that we got the points and timing adjusted properly. A friend of mine is after me about getting rid of the points and installing an HEI unit. He's swearing the car will be night and day difference.

Can someone please confirm this. I know points are old tech, but is HEI really all that much better. What would be different.

Thanks
Slik69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:20 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Points vs HEI 1969 C/10

more power for a better spark
once everything is set, the only thing that degrades performance is wear on the cap and rotor. No points to wear out, no dwell adjustment... set it and forget it.

It is a better set up.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:25 PM   #3
Boog
laying low

If your points type dist is all fresh you may or may not be able to tell if it runs night and day different. But I will say the HEI dist puts out more voltage to the plugs so it should start better and run longer between tuneups. I had moisture problems with one of my points type trucks. Every time it rained it would not start. The HEI stopped that. They are cheap and plentiful and dead nutz reliable.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:52 PM   #4
SCOTI

For the 'older' hard-core gearhead w/a more strip than street motor, points might be the choice. For the average sbc motor..... user friendly, ease of maintenance, & increased durability = HEI all the way.

Quote:
But I will say the HEI dist puts out more voltage to the plugs so it should start better and run longer between tuneups. I had moisture problems with one of my points type trucks. Every time it rained it would not start. The HEI stopped that.
x2. I had this same issue w/my 67's original 6cyl ignition. Even w/all new parts, if there was rain, there was trouble. Fast forward 13yrs when I bought my 68. It also had a 6cyl w/the points dizzy. I remembered how much of a pain the 67 was & found a 6cyl HEI set-up @ my local yard. I swapped it in & never had any trouble, rain or shine. My annual tune-ups also had 6 coffee colored plugs every year.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 09-23-2008 at 10:58 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:00 AM   #5
elektrik
Foolish Mortal

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I got a 69 with a 350 and was thinking about switching from points to HEI too. Can anyone tell me which specific parts to buy? I can probably research where to get them, I'm just not sure WHAT parts I'd need...

Thanks!
elektrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:18 PM   #6
haysonj

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektrik View Post
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I got a 69 with a 350 and was thinking about switching from points to HEI too. Can anyone tell me which specific parts to buy? I can probably research where to get them, I'm just not sure WHAT parts I'd need...

Thanks!
Go to the salvage yard and get one out of a 75 to 86 chevy and should work or buy rebuilt from parts house but you will pay a core charge everything you need is in the dist.

Last edited by haysonj; 09-25-2008 at 12:19 PM.
haysonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:19 PM   #7
Sinister
Between Trucks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektrik View Post

Thanks!
Get an HEI from Skip White on Fleabay. That and new plug wires from your favorite auto parts place. I think there's a FAQ somewhere, it's an easy install.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:29 PM   #8
nbroady

Also check craigslist if you have one in your area... I find LOTS of parts on there, too.
nbroady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:58 PM   #9
hounddogs!
Restoring it $200 at a time...

Not night and day in my case, it's definitely better in the wet. Note that when the black goo runs out of the module inside the cap, the vehicle won't start....

Go with the HEI.

'68 5.3L-4 speed LWB C20; grandpa bought it for the farm in '71. Now LS 5.3, rather than 327.

DD '09 Pilot

Weekender '65 Skylark 300-4V-4 speed

Wife's '07 Lexus ES350; 117 actuator motors and I can't see the engine.

Son's '04 F250 SuperCab 6.0
hounddogs! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:31 PM   #10
cdowns

biggest downfall of points is lack of knowledge and maintenence on the owners part
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:40 PM   #11
c10addict

Not to hijack the thread but I was getting ready to start a post to see how you check the tach signal from a HEI dizzy. My new tach quit working after about 2 weeks in my 64.. all the wires are hooked up properly..
54 GMC under the knife getting a S10 chassis swap and bagged. See my build thread...
07 GMC Sierra 5/7 drop, 22's and 24's Air ride on my mind..
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=339340

See pics of my trucks in my profile
c10addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:17 PM   #12
hotrodxy

you could also get the accel point eliminator kit and keep the original look. if you want a higher voltage spark get a new coil like the msd blaster 2
http://www.jegs.com/i/Accel/110/2010/10002/-1
hotrodxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:38 PM   #13
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
biggest downfall of points is lack of knowledge and maintenence on the owners part
And on my K20, just getting to the points for maintenance is difficult at best. I switched to HEI many years ago and it was one of the best things I ever did for my truck. It's at least as good as a brand-new set of points & condensor, except that it stays in perfect tune without annual adjustments and/or replacements.

To the OP, I didn't notice any performance improvement vs a new set of points. Remember to gap the plugs at .045 with HEI (.035 with points).

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:23 PM   #14
Dingfodgy
Lemme show you something!!

I have an HEI in my LWB and it starts a little quicker than my SWB with a Pertronix points eliminator kit in the stock dizzy. Aesthetically I prefer the small cap look of the SWB....but as others have mentioned the HEI has been stone cold reliable since I've had the truck. Performance wise- I haven't experienced a noticable difference.
'95 BMW 325i ("Joy")
Dingfodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:59 PM   #15
Slik69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingfodgy View Post
I have an HEI in my LWB and it starts a little quicker than my SWB with a Pertronix points eliminator kit in the stock dizzy. Aesthetically I prefer the small cap look of the SWB....but as others have mentioned the HEI has been stone cold reliable since I've had the truck. Performance wise- I haven't experienced a noticable difference.
Hmmm wonder why no notice in performance. I am told that is the first you will notice.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:05 PM   #16
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

It made a world of difference in my 250 6.Part of that may have been the shape the old points unit was in but I don't have any miss,no hesitation and it starts and runs out better.Other than the disc swap it's probably the best mod I've done.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:23 PM   #17
Dingfodgy
Lemme show you something!!

I imagine the HEI would have a more significant performance advantage over a stock points setup, but in my case my SWB has the Pertronix electronic ignition kit and a "flame-thrower" high voltage coil. I imagine it's output is very similar to that of the HEI...hence the negligible performance advantage.
'95 BMW 325i ("Joy")
Dingfodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:24 PM   #18
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik69 View Post
Hmmm wonder why no notice in performance. I am told that is the first you will notice.
There's no performance advantage it the points are fresh & set-up properly. The advantage is the HEI will remain 'like new' while the points start to deteriorate immediately after you install them thus requiring periodic inpection & adjustment for wear.

The greater the wear w/o adjustment = the greater the performance drop.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Last edited by SCOTI; 09-26-2008 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:37 PM   #19
old Chevy guy

My vote HEI nearly the first mod on any old chevy Ive ever bought. I have a69 Camaro outside waiting patiently for a re-resteration{done last 22 years ago frame off} so she only gets run once or twice a year.If I went out there right now Id only turn that motor enough to get some fuel up and she would start right up,no dirty or rusty points to fool with!
old Chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:36 PM   #20
Slik69

I don't get the guys that are stating no performance advantage. I'm wanting to hear good things, but not quit convinved to install the HEI unit. What I'm hearing is if the points are new and adjusted properly (which is mycase) then I will not notice a difference?
Old 09-26-2008, 03:56 PM   #21
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik69 View Post
I don't get the guys that are stating no performance advantage. I'm wanting to hear good things, but not quit convinved to install the HEI unit. What I'm hearing is if the points are new and adjusted properly (which is mycase) then I will not notice a difference?
The issue is..... nothing you do will keep points new. They will require periodic inspection & will require adjustment; the electronic ignition won't.

A performance gain will be seen if you utilize a better ignition system w/a hotter coil vs. a stock coil (D.U.I., Accel, Mallory, or MSD). But the same can be said for points type ignitions.

Electronic ignitions are more user friendly over the lifespan of the vehicle.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 09-26-2008, 05:49 PM   #22
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Scotti said it well.The thing to remember is that a stock HEI puts out twice or so the volts of a points system.You can run a slightly wider plug gap and may see some slight milage improvement from burning the fuel more efficiently(May as in maybe 1/2 MPG).

Last edited by PanelDeland; 09-26-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:52 PM   #23
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

like I said above, set it and forget it, instead of set it, and then climb back up on the core support and try to adjust them again in 5000 miles.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:56 PM   #24
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Install points to stay even<doing something to improve the looks/function of the truck.

15 minutes of project time is 15 minutes of project time.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:35 PM   #25
Slik69

I wish I had a chance to drive the truck a little today to get a feel of how it is. I will be changing dist. tomm., and will open up the gaps on my plugs to .45. I took off the valve covers and the numbers on the heads are 462624. What are these. I am still trying to figure out if this is a 327 or 350. Has a small balancer 1/2" thick. That's what's really throwin everybody I know that know these engines. Could it also be a 307. I believe this is the original engine to the truck. The block is 3970010. I just looked up and don't think it can be a 307 now with those casting numbers.

I was told to look on the pass side on the tab below head. Problem is those numbers are there, but either have been milled down.. because they are faintly there.