The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2018, 10:36 PM   #101
vintovka

Re: 50 years ago I was given this USAF 54 3100

Well the trans leak appears to be finally fixed. They had to pull it pound it straight where it had been over tightened and replace the seal that got split. Only another grueling 150 mile round trip in driving coastal rain with partially operable wipers.

Added "U.S. AIR FORCE" to side emblems and another over the crap paint spot on the tailgate. Sadly too many folks flat did not recognize the old USAAC emblem and did not understand what it meant. Apologies to vets and purists but necessary.

Same shop that did the body/paint work messed up a number of mechanical items. I fixed Loose header and carb bolts and about 100 other things. Truck now drives well but still needs front end work. That will be done soon.
Attached Images

vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:46 PM   #102
MiraclePieCo

I think we can all relate. Keep plugging away, it'll be worth it Great truck!
Old 06-20-2019, 01:52 PM   #103
vintovka

Talking Re: 50 years ago I was given this USAF 54 3100

Well its been quite a awhile. Been busy in human body shop getting old parts replaced like eyeballs and teeth. Still struggling with mistakes and poor workmanship our local pot head mechanics did during the "restoration". Had to completely rewire most of the truck due them scabbing on new wires to old. The intermittent starting issues have completely disappeared due to all new wiring. Was about to pull tranny as it was suggested that the flex plate was shot. Bozos didn't replace it during engine upgrade (another FU). Flex plate is fine Pot heads not. Was afraid to drive it for fear of getting stuck somewhere. Still having Speedo issues and have a separate email out for help. In line for new ball joints and transfer case leak repair. Think I found Pot free shops this time. One local (and costly) shop says they have fired 13 new mechanics in last 2 years for drug issues. Also said they "share" info on abusers info on net so they are cooked as far as employment goes. Just wait till your doctor becomes a pot head. Will be posting some new pics soon.

Last edited by vintovka; 06-20-2019 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:15 PM   #104
vintovka

Now that its starting ok been on to other long post poned projects. Made a mistake buying black face gauges. Very hard ro see without the lights on. Since all my dash lights are LEDs it dawned on me to wire them so they are on whenever the key is on. Having to pull the headlight swith to running light mode each time was a pain and tired of forgetting to turn them off whenever i left truck. This works.

Still struggling with seat belts as noted in another post but gave up on the new speedo and cable. Still jumpy half the time but barely livable. The seller is really bad and if they don't make it right i will let everyone know soon, FWIW in dash GPS provides speed info as needed anyway. It also beeps when i go to fast, approach a curve, speed limit changes, red light camera zones detected and on and on. Except for odometer my Analog gauges are doomed.

Wife and i watched the 4th fireworks down in Gold Beach harbor fro the truck bed. Best seats in the house (but a bit breezy).
Old 07-10-2019, 03:03 AM   #105
MiraclePieCo

Ha ha, laughing about your experience with Oregon potheads since the state legalized recreational marijuana. Have you ever noticed that as Oregon minimum wage rockets upward, the higher minimum wage the worse the service? When state minimum wage went past my Social Security amount a few years back I stopped tipping in restaurants. Nowadays min wage workers get about $5000/year more than I do on SS. Hell, waitresses should be leaving ME money!
Old 07-10-2019, 10:25 AM   #106
vintovka

Yup. Legalizing pot was a real mistake (or an intentional act of sabotage). ALL of the employers around here are desperate for drug free employees. Workmans Comp costs and issues will play out like home owners insurance in fire zones.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:50 PM   #107
vintovka

Was invited at last minute to our local antique plane fly in/car show at our podunk airport next to the Beach. Tons of very nice planes but only 5 cars showed up. Essentially this is the first show ever for the 54. I was flat astounded that thing got tons more attention than the perfect restorations right next to it. Notice was so short i didn't have time to wash it or clean cab. Kinda nerve wracking to have folks all over (and under it) looking at my Hausegemacht Arbeit (homemade work). Everyone had kind words and no complaints.

I wish I could have taken a pic of it in front of the old Bi-Planes. They had a heck of a lunch for us which i did not expect with "ordervies", cheese and fruit as well. Sadly no beer. While chowing down it dawned on me that this was the first time this old flightline truck was actually back on any sort of flightline in an astounding and some what rapid fire 47 years.
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2019, 10:42 PM   #108
vintovka

In the continuing soggy saga four issues continue to annoy. There's a continuing drip from where the "cone" section of the NP208 that meets the main body. Still under warranty and needs to be pulled apart and properly resealed. The leak around the output yoke has returned despite a thicker seal. I hear there's a sleeve that might help but unsure. Hate to have to by a brand new yoke. An intermittent squeal is coming from the power steering pulley seems unstoppable. I cannot tighten belt anymore and reservoir is full. Lastly the new speedo still has low speed shakes. Goes away at 25. Got a new cable coming. it will be number 3.

Despite all these things it a flat joy to drive. I cannot go a quarter mile without honks waves and complements (and thanks for our service for --- both the truck and i). Just a visit to the Post Office or grocery store turns into a one vehicle show

Last edited by vintovka; 07-25-2019 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:17 PM   #109
joedoh

your perseverance is admirable, and the end result is gorgeous, so take heart in that.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 11:50 AM   #110
vintovka

Speaking of perseverance thought i would add the following thread concerning what i thought was a mysterious Power Steering squeal that i couldn't resolve.

"Well another strange but not unexpected turn of events. It wasn't the PS at all. I looked closely at the alternator and was shocked to see one bolt so loose only the valve cover kept it from falling out. Apparently on turns it caused the Alternator to tork slightly causing belt to slip and squeal. been driving around like that since it left the shop. Luckily the shop left the exact size open end wrench stuck between the motor mount and engine. Grabbed it, fixed it and squeal is gone. The pain of knowing i paid a professional mechanic/restorer/pot head remains. Wait til your pot head surgeon leaves his tools in you or you kid. "
Old 08-03-2019, 01:19 AM   #111
joedoh

I get that you are unhappy with the work done, but try to see the truck for what it is, instead of what you wish it was. we are all our own worst critics, I have grand mal seizures overthinking about things I have done to solve a problem on a build that on the next one I did differently and better, and thats what really learning is, screwing up and learning from it. cant be afraid to do it, and cant regret it. no matter what you think you have out of this, its a damn fine looking truck and at least you are constantly improving it.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 02:32 AM   #112
MiraclePieCo

Hey, have you ever noticed this AD truck sitting just off 101 in Gold Beach on Google Maps Street View? Click on the link for a closer pic.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4171...7i13312!8i6656
Attached Images

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 08-03-2019 at 02:40 AM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 11:31 AM   #113
vintovka

Isn't our town lovely - NOT. Gold beach is in a state of intentional accelerated decay.

Saw that one a long time ago and never since. Think it was a 52 on a later 4 wheel chassis. FWIW Yesterday we saw a 54, full rust patina with a 20' (?) trailer in tow parked on an ocean overlook on 101 near Port Orford. Woulda taken a pic but circumstances prevented it. Hope he had a big engine and great brakes. There was a 300' drop onto the rocks where he parked.

Gold Beach has been fast food free for 2 years with the closing of Dairy Queen and Subway, quickly followed by the local Chase bank. BTW the "fountain" in the lower right side was reportedly built at a cost over 10K by a crooked councilwoman who pocketed most of the $.

This is our star attraction. The intentional wreck of the Mary Hume:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/oceanscape-...jpg?1410365900

You can Google the whole lurid story

Last edited by vintovka; 08-04-2019 at 03:55 PM.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:08 PM   #114
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
I get that you are unhappy with the work done, but try to see the truck for what it is, instead of what you wish it was. we are all our own worst critics, I have grand mal seizures overthinking about things I have done to solve a problem on a build that on the next one I did differently and better, and thats what really learning is, screwing up and learning from it. cant be afraid to do it, and cant regret it. no matter what you think you have out of this, its a damn fine looking truck and at least you are constantly improving it.
Thanks for complements and encouragement. Tons of fun to drive and never fails to get approving thumbs up, honks waves and or instant one truck "carshows".

Having to re-fix stuff myself, However, is both physically and psychologically painful.

Sadly the issue goes to the heart of current life in a pot legal state and its costing everyone money, and from what I hear-- lives. I figure i'm out at least $10K + due to shoddy work. Last local, respectable repair shop here says they can't find drug free mechanics and have fired more than dozen over the last year due to drug/pot related issues. Many think they don't have to pass a P-test anymore. Failing a test is reported to everyone in Solar System so adios Workmans Comp ( and future employment) and hello $125/HR at the repair shops. Local govt loves it cause POT DUIs are treated same as alcohol and now can be detected remotely from other vehicles and even clothing.

Last edited by vintovka; 08-04-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:45 PM   #115
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
your perseverance is admirable, and the end result is gorgeous, so take heart in that.
After finding more motor oil leaks coming from the bell housing just now i think you have mistaken my perseverance with my abject stupidity. IMHO this is another clear sign that the current mechanical workforce and the manufacturers may have declined to a new low. Makes one wary of everyone who offers a paid service and everything you buy. We may be in real trouble.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:31 PM   #116
vintovka

Been trying to hire a trustworthy local mechanic with no luck, so back at it again. Can't do a thing to fix the drip from the NP208 case or from the driveshaft seal. Thinking about getting the seal and sleeve combo shown on the net. Also wondering if tranny "stop leak" might be ok if confined to the transfer case. Also Wondering how the sleeve is held in place. Did pull the rear bumper off as they did not paint where it meets the brackets and starting to see rust. Last time this bumper was off was before many of you were born. Found out fast it was under some "spring" pressure and bolts were hard to remove. Putting them back was almost at the limit of this old mans strength and barely finished. Did get under it and tighten all the hose clamps to the coolers and radiator. These routine maintenance issues are another reason to hook up with a local shop.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:33 PM   #117
vintovka

On other issues the winds here are brutal. ADs are not known for their exceptional aerodynamics and being lifted makes fighting 45=50 MPH headwinds a chore. Back when i had a 235 and was crossing the desert twice a week, strong headwinds would literally slow top speed down to 45 floored. It has taken a toll on wiper blades too and, after a half century, i have finally had it with wind twisting blades sideways. My first attempt were tight zipties to hold the little pressed in detent in place on the blade arm. No deal. Today i took off the blades, drilled out the detent, and replaced it with a 6-32 nut and bolt. Seems very strong and resist any twisting. May post pics if anyone wants to see my poor efforts.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:22 AM   #118
MiraclePieCo

I'd be interested in seeing pics of your wiper mod.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:06 AM   #119
vintovka

Here you go. This side still needs to be aligned and fastened down. Other side is done and solid as a rock. Seems to hav improved blade to glass contact and wipers are NAPA off the shelf. Changing wipers just requires unscrewing and a minor hole enlargement in the plastic BUT better than losing a wiper in a down pour.
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2019, 06:46 PM   #120
vintovka

Well it actually rained pretty hard here on the SO Beach and the fix was put to the test. Worked great! Hopefully the days of the sideways or tossed wipers are over. I also found that rainx stuff works so well you can drive with out wipers in an emergency if you need to.. Wonder how long it lasts?
Old 08-26-2019, 09:38 PM   #121
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
I also found that rainx stuff works so well you can drive with out wipers in an emergency if you need to.. Wonder how long it lasts?
Until you wash your windshield with detergent.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:44 PM   #122
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
Until you wash your windshield with detergent.
So Windshield washer fluid takes it off?
Old 08-27-2019, 01:26 AM   #123
vintovka

Finally found a reputable shop in this little beach town and they replaced the upper and lower ball joints on both sides. Was a walk in and while you wait deal and seems to have worked out well for a change. I brought in the parts and they did the work. They did the job right, on time and even regreased the bearings. They even tapped a zerk hole the Chinese Slave Workers missed during their once a week, 30 second, won ton and tea break. Will stick with them. Steering wheel now is about 20 degrees off but drives straight with way less wander. I Think the bearing on the bottom of the steering column is shot and might try to replace it without pulling the whole column. Not sure its needs a wheel alignment but we shall see. Just enjoying the ride for right now and all the kind complements!!!
Old 08-28-2019, 10:00 PM   #124
vintovka

More good news! The 4th (count em 4) speedo cables and the very last one WORKED! Previous ones all caused both the old original and brand new new speedometers to jump all over the place. I ordered and extra long one, lubed it up from both ends and carefully installed it. I think the extra length was the key allowing gentler cable sweeps. Also tossed the metal cable guard that was on the original 700r4 that came with the chassis. Its a cheap $8 ATP Y-803 Speedometer Cable 83" long with ends for orig speedo and 700r4.
Old 09-07-2019, 05:53 PM   #125
vintovka

The cowl vent knob has been a problem for me all along. About crashed several times trying o close it in a hurry during out coastal downpours. I looked at all the power options and they all have one thing in common. Not waterproof. While not an issue in cab munted on firewall the moisture issue is concerning due to being near the beach 24/7. Its 90% humidty right now and never gets below 60.

The original knob on mine had to be destroyed to be removed. I did not want to as its been there now over 50 years of my life and touched/used by many of my long gone relatives. Had to cut it in almost in half an pry it off. No sign of glue and I think they put knob when vent arm was heated and it formed a rock hard connection.

In any case i roughed out an "extension" with a knob. It add about 2" and ACTUALLY works (for me). I now can easily see and operate it when closed and reach it when open (without swerving head on into a log truck). Mine interior is far for original so it kinda fits in. what do you think (be kind to an old man).
Attached Images

Last edited by vintovka; 09-08-2019 at 12:05 AM.