The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2020, 03:49 PM   #1
junkman1jmc

S10 subframe

Anyone have pictures of just using a s10 subframe instead of the complete frame ??
junkman1jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:10 PM   #2
Wyattdog2

Re: S10 subframe

It's not a subframe truck
Wyattdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:16 PM   #3
junkman1jmc

I know it's not a subframe .. haha I ment just welding on the front clip I guess you would say. Instead of a full frame swap .
Old 01-09-2020, 12:38 AM   #4
joedoh

why?

and I am not asking to discourage or confront you, but if I think about it the only reason to do that would be to keep the body/bed/running board mounts .

but the thing is, the frame is so high in the AD, and with an s10 swap you would want the body at least 4 inches off the frame, otherwise its like a BIG channel job. mounted with the s10 frame level to the ad frame, you would probably have room for a 15" tall radiator, and you would cut the AD front sheetmetal all up to get the frame horns and steering box in there. and the trans and driveline would be very well up through the floor. and the front suspension would be SUPER pounded, like grille banging low without any drop spindles or springs, but the rear would still be stock height, about 12" difference.

what you would have to to would be to reverse z the front clip, so it hangs down 4 inches or so below your AD frame. maybe you could do it by stacking?

anyway, be the change you want to see. I would love to see someones take on this idea.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:15 AM   #5
junkman1jmc

Well I'm doing a 54 suburban and I ended up getting a 2001 4 door blazer as my donor. It is 10" shorter than the blazer frame . And I was going to use the 2 wd disc brake rearend and mount the leaf Springs inboard of the frame . Dropping the rear around 6"or8" . I'm also gonna use the seats out of the blazer also .
Old 01-09-2020, 12:26 PM   #6
jed971959

Hi the 4 door blazer frame wheel base is 108" I think the 2wd diff is 4" narrower then the 4wd diff . I have a 49 chev p/u on 2 4x4 blazer frames to make the wheel base right . the diff is a 4x4 with 1 1/4 wheel spacers
jed971959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 02:55 PM   #7
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman1jmc View Post
Well I'm doing a 54 suburban and I ended up getting a 2001 4 door blazer as my donor. It is 10" shorter than the blazer frame . And I was going to use the 2 wd disc brake rearend and mount the leaf Springs inboard of the frame . Dropping the rear around 6"or8" . I'm also gonna use the seats out of the blazer also .

I dont think I was clear in my explanation, the s10 front frame section needs to be installed below the level of the suburban front frame section, or the engine will be installed really high and youu wont have a lot of room for a rad. so in order to match up the frame heights, you would either need to cut off the torque boxes (where it turns down behind the control arms and then turns rearward behind the wheel) and make a straight attachment to the suburban frame, or you could stack the s10 frame under the suburban frame and see where that lines up.

its not the ideal usage of a clip, with all the fab work needed you might be better off setting up a weld on or bolt on IFS.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote