The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-14-2020, 09:25 AM   #1
Dachshund

Steering parts....

I am trying to "update" my 47 3600 to "modern" tie rod ends. I can find everything except a stock 53-54 pitman arm and the link that fits between the driver's side spindle and the drag link. I know my old ones can be machined, but I can't find any specifics on HOW they need machined. Just looking for someone who has modified their frontend and has these parts laying around - not needing new (my brain says new, my wallet says cheap...).
Dachshund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:09 AM   #2
nvrdone

Re: Steering parts....

first, id never go used parts on steering. Having said that, I did the change over to modern tie rod ends. I used the stock '49 pitman arm by grinding off the ball stud from the back & knocking it out with a big hammer. No cost there. the tie rod ends were for a Jeep - dorman # 920538 (2) and 921317 (2) the tie rod and drag link were made up by a local Jeep off road shop. Cost me all of $125.00 for all parts & labor.
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:16 AM   #3
Dachshund

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone View Post
first, id never go used parts on steering. Having said that, I did the change over to modern tie rod ends. I used the stock '49 pitman arm by grinding off the ball stud from the back & knocking it out with a big hammer. No cost there. the tie rod ends were for a Jeep - dorman # 920538 (2) and 921317 (2) the tie rod and drag link were made up by a local Jeep off road shop. Cost me all of $125.00 for all parts & labor.
I have everything apart EXCEPT the ball on the pitman, and the ball on the driver's side link. I have been beating on them and they WILL NOT MOVE!

I have the drag link built and new tie rod/ends, all I need it the pitman and that link!
Old 01-14-2020, 11:58 PM   #4
nvrdone

try drilling a hole from the back side in the ball stud. that should loosen it enough. if that doesn't work, try a big press. they will come out
Old 01-15-2020, 03:33 AM   #5
mr48chev

There isn't much "used" on a 54 or later pitman arm as far as wear goes. Finding one is an issue because no one makes replacements.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:18 AM   #6
Dachshund

Well - I took the over to my Amish neighbor's machine shop, and he got them out! Is there anything that needs done to them now, or are they good to go?
Old 01-15-2020, 07:18 AM   #7
Dachshund

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
there isn't much "used" on a 54 or later pitman arm as far as wear goes. Finding one is an issue because no one makes replacements.
yup....
Old 01-15-2020, 08:39 PM   #8
mick53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dachshund View Post
Well - I took the over to my Amish neighbor's machine shop, and he got them out! Is there anything that needs done to them now, or are they good to go?
That's great, nice to have good neighbors. I'm curious how does he power his lathe?
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:41 PM   #9
Dachshund

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick53 View Post
That's great, nice to have good neighbors. I'm curious how does he power his lathe?
All of his machines are run by a 3 cylinder Lister Diesel motor, and line shafts.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:22 PM   #10
mick53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dachshund View Post
All of his machines are run by a 3 cylinder Lister Diesel motor, and line shafts.
That's the way they do it here too.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:42 AM   #11
nvrdone

are you running a stock front axle or a dropped one? if its stock, the tie rod ends will mount into the top of the spindle arms with the tie rod over the spring like stock.
if its a dropped axle the tie rod ends must mount under the spindle arms with the tie rod under the springs. depending on which tie rod ends you have you may need to have your neighbor re taper the spindle arms.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:57 PM   #12
Dachshund

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone View Post
are you running a stock front axle or a dropped one? if its stock, the tie rod ends will mount into the top of the spindle arms with the tie rod over the spring like stock.
if its a dropped axle the tie rod ends must mount under the spindle arms with the tie rod under the springs. depending on which tie rod ends you have you may need to have your neighbor re taper the spindle arms.
It's stock....