The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2020, 09:42 PM   #1
kwmech

Getting my big block Longhorn running again

Having some small issues, truck been sitting for just about 6 years now. Got new batteries in it and the oil pressure up. I pulled out the 396 years ago and put in a TBI 454, and as a result am running a frame rail pump. Needs to be changed, but before I was just using the NAPA pump rated at 15psi (I think). Brand name quality pumps available??? Still have to clean out the tank and get better fuel in it and the injectors seem to be gummed up also. The new fuels really suck.

So recommendations on a pump and where to get quality fuel injectors, been through all the ads on the internet with Ebay and amazon. Never actually taken a TBI injector apart--is that possible so I can clean them out??
kwmech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:42 AM   #2
'63GENIII

Re: Getting my big block Longhorn running again

Never taken them apart, only heard that they get cleaned in an ultrasonic solution.

What PSI do the injectors need to see? When I was putting the 7.4 in my '63, I ran a Blazer tank with the pump inside the tank. Well the first pump I got was for an '89 - '90 K5 which I think was TBI. The psi was too low for a port injected set up as I needed 55-60 psi. I picked up the right pump (Delphi?) that put out 90 psi and regulated it down to 60 with a Corvette frame mounted filter / regulator. The Vette filter - regulator is really pretty cool.

I couldn't for the life of me to get the stock regulator to keep the pressure high enough to be reliable. It would drop to 40-45 psi which led to inconsistent running and tons of time troubleshooting.

Not sure if you still have the tank in the cab or if you'd want to adapt it to an in tank pump? When I was researching fuel set ups, I kept noticing that frame mount pump set ups just seemed to be less reliable.

That said, a name that kept popping up for FI pumps was Walbro. I think they may be a little pricey but sounded like they were good quality and fairly popular.

As far as new fuel quality, saying it sucks is being too kind. The stuff is horrible especially if it sits for a couple of months.

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 12:15 AM   #3
kwmech

Re: Getting my big block Longhorn running again

Ummmkay...found a place in San Fran that says they can clean them out and ship back to me in 24 hours, just may go that way. All I'll need then is a small gasket kit and a fuel pump
kwmech is online now   Reply With Quote