The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2020, 06:30 PM   #1
Angrywood

Different bolts sizes for new bed wood

I finally finished up the wood for my 62 bed. Now its time to put the bed wood in and get the bed back up on the frame. I just purchased a bed bolt kit from The Truck Shop. Does any one know where the different sized bolts go? I know the long ones are for the bed to frame. What about the two different sized smaller ones?

I’m guessing the smallest goes on the strips and the next sized ones go on the perimeter?

Also, where do the ones go that have the washers?

I know someone must be thinking “ should’ve paid attention when removing them”.... well luck for me, i had to cut them old rusted bolts off so yes, I wasn’t paying attention to it.

Thanks for your thoughs on this in advance.
Angrywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:53 PM   #2
jayoldschool

Re: Different bolts sizes for new bed wood

It just makes sense when you start doing it. Long skinnys go through the strip and between the wood only (and get the big washer to back the wood), fats go through the strip and the support.

I've done two beds. One horizontal by myself, and one vertical with help. Do the latter. And, you see that cordless impact gun down there? Use one of those.

jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:59 PM   #3
The Rocknrod

Talks about the bolts in these instructions - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...70&postcount=5
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 12:18 AM   #4
Angrywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
It just makes sense when you start doing it. Long skinnys go through the strip and between the wood only (and get the big washer to back the wood), fats go through the strip and the support.

I've done two beds. One horizontal by myself, and one vertical with help. Do the latter. And, you see that cordless impact gun down there? Use one of those.

Jay....when you put your bed back together, looks like your started on the sides securing the cross sills on the box first. Did that seem to be the easiest way? Thnx
Angrywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:00 PM   #5
jayoldschool

Yes, that is exactly what you do. Perimeter boards go in under the flanges (note the home made flange reinforcements that I did on my truck), then the bolts go through the flange, the board, the cross sill. That locates everything, and then you put boards and strips in. A thousand bolts/nuts/washers later, you're done!

Many, many trips from top to underneath gets you this far:

It's bad when you use crappy stands and the wind blows your bed down. I bought some nice 2.5t stands after this one...

And eventually, it all goes back together. It was a lot easier the second time on that shiny red bed up there. I learned a lot of lessons the first time.

jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote