The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-07-2010, 07:02 PM   #26
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Re: Rustoleum Red paint job

I wasn't sure if it would fill them like a high fill primer??
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:17 PM   #27
c10chevy69

I have thought about doing this myself after the bodywork is done. How does the paint look up close?
Old 09-08-2010, 08:32 AM   #28
Lemield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottrucks View Post
Larry i think your just posting here to rub it in LMAO...you ve put a ton if confindence in me to get mine done??

one more question..

my truch has some rust pitting will the paint fill those or do I need to do something first??
You need to prep the truck as you would for any other type of paint job...I certainly do not profess to be any sort of bodywork expert....again, mine is a work truck so I sanded it and did some body repairs....the passenger side still has a nasty dent/ripple on the front part of the bed....I just didn't want to put a lot of money into a truck that I haul stuff with...I'd rather pour money into my green CST....

1949 Willys CJ2A, Kubota Turbo Diesel engine, Warn Overdrive, 11 inch brakes, 12volt, Warn M8000 Winch "Little Green"
1970 Rustoleum Roller Red C20 Custom Camper 454 TH400 "Big Red"
1971 K20 6.2 Turbo Diesel 4x4 4spd Ranger Overdrive "Pumpkin Wagon"
2005 VW Beetle Diesel 44+ MPG "Silver Bullet"
Lemield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:33 AM   #29
Lemield

Quote:
Originally Posted by c10chevy69 View Post
I have thought about doing this myself after the bodywork is done. How does the paint look up close?
The paint looks pretty good considering it was painted with a roller outside.....

It's not a professional spray job but it does shine nice...I'd consider it a nice 20 footer....

1949 Willys CJ2A, Kubota Turbo Diesel engine, Warn Overdrive, 11 inch brakes, 12volt, Warn M8000 Winch "Little Green"
Old 09-13-2010, 11:07 AM   #30
Lemield

To date, I have only shown you all pictures of the good side...the passenger side got hit by a criminal in Denver (the reason for the paint job in the first place)...I did some body work but the front of the bed and the back of the cab were pretty bent up and I just didn't want to spend a lot of money on them....so I had to think of something to make the dents look better......this is what I did....bullet hole stickers with a couple of coats of clear Rustoleum over them....I kind of like the look.....
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2010, 01:19 PM   #31
71longbed-brew

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryvanhook View Post
If I recall correctly, there was an article in Hot Rod magazine on this very topic 2 or 3 years ago.

Barry
but I think they did a white paint job

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/b...job/index.html

alot of labor but it came out looking nice .. great read too ....

this method is very tempting ... my paint is shot .. and im not comfortable dropping a bunch of cash on a pro paint job ... plus i see myself as a DIY'er
1406 carb
3.42 Eaton Posi
71longbed-brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:21 PM   #32
71longbed-brew

this may be the camera .. but i think you can see thin parts in the pic ..... im not dogging your work .... your more motivated than I ...
Attached Images

1406 carb
3.42 Eaton Posi
Old 09-13-2010, 02:23 PM   #33
71longbed-brew

let me try again here
Attached Images

1406 carb
3.42 Eaton Posi
Old 09-13-2010, 02:36 PM   #34
Lemield

I think it's the camera....actually, the paint is pretty thin....I SHOULD have put on 8 coats because up close you can still see a couple of small fisheyes on the tailgate....but....I was just sick of painting....all in all, it looks pretty decent up close....when I resize the pictures for posting here, it always reduces the quality and makes them look goofy....maybe it's just me....

Last edited by Lemield; 09-13-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:27 AM   #35
ChevyLvr4Life

Wow!, that turned out really good! I wish knew that you could paint one like that before I spray canned mine. For what I did it turned out pretty good, but I probably would have went the Rustoluem route. I did do some prep work before spraying and I do believe like mentioned in this thread earlier that it makes a big difference in the outcome. You mentioned that you thinned the paint before putting it on. How would it have been if you hadn't? I only ask this because I used some Rustoluem silver to paint the backsides of my chrome bumpers to help prevent them from rusting and that stuff was pretty thin by itself. Once again, great job!

1970 Chevy C10 LWB 307 3OTT 3.73 gear
ChevyLvr4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:32 AM   #36
Lemield

I painted the roof with unthinned paint and you can see brush strokes...the key to getting the paint to self level is thinning it.....about the consistency of whole milk...

Thanks for the kind words....

Old 10-27-2010, 01:36 PM   #37
Lemield

Update to this thread:

Right after I painted the truck, my neighbor saw it as I was driving by her house. She flagged me down and introduced me and my wife to her sister who was visiting from Tennessee. Turns out her sister Pat, works for NADC in Nashville. She asked me if I had ever heard of Stacy David from the show Gearz. I said YES, I watch the show. She then tells me that Stacy spoke at the graduation cermonies at NADC this year and that she became friends with Stacy's secretary. She asked me if I would like an autographed picture of Stacy...I said YES! So she took a picture of me with my truck and Stacy signed it and she mailed it back to me! Along with another Stacy autographed picture with Copperhead.....I think it's WAY cool! I wll try to scan in the pictures so everyone can see them.....

Old 10-27-2010, 01:58 PM   #38
don t. - 72gmc

Semi-related....FWIW....My dad painted his Ford 8N tractor w/rustoleum. Rolled/brushed it on undiluted. While it was still tacky, he used a can or 2 of the same color to even things out. It still looks decent after 20 years of sitting outside.

Have fun.....don t. .....
don t. - 72gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:20 PM   #39
stich626
Account Suspended

what u thin with
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:30 PM   #40
Swifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemield View Post
I applied the paint in the afternoon when I got home from work and let it dry 24 hours. I did 2 coats then wet sanded with 1000 grit...then 2 more coats, wet sand again with 1000 grit then two more coats. It still needs to be color sanded and polished.
1st i think your truck looks amazing for what you did! Is it glossy in person? Is there any orange peel?

You said you preped it like any other paint job but you didn't primer...? I didn't read that you applied any clear coat. Are you going to? If not, how is the paint protected? Also, you keep talking about the paint looking milky? Did you thin any of it out yourself or did you just take the paint can and empty it into a pan and roll it on the truck like you paint the walls in your house? Did you use a brush for the tight areas?

Thanks for your time and the write up! After seeing your pics i will be doing this to my truck very soon!
Swifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:12 PM   #41
Lemield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty View Post
1st i think your truck looks amazing for what you did! Is it glossy in person? Is there any orange peel?

You said you preped it like any other paint job but you didn't primer...? I didn't read that you applied any clear coat. Are you going to? If not, how is the paint protected? Also, you keep talking about the paint looking milky? Did you thin any of it out yourself or did you just take the paint can and empty it into a pan and roll it on the truck like you paint the walls in your house? Did you use a brush for the tight areas?

Thanks for your time and the write up! After seeing your pics i will be doing this to my truck very soon!
Hi Swifty,

No primer necessary as Rustoleum goes right on to the metal...it's designed to do that. No clear coat necessary either....Paint didn't look milky....you thin it with mineral spirits until it's the consistency of milk...thickness wise...I just poured some paint into a plastic roller tray and then added mineral spirits until it was thin enough then applied it with a foam roller like you use to paint your walls...the key is thin coats, wetsand every two coats with 1000 grit. It's not orange peely or anything...it's really smooth...as far as protecting it goes, I put on a good wax....but even if it fades, I can repaint it really easily. I used a foam brush for the tight areas.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:20 PM   #42
Swifty

Thanks again for the post, info, & pics!!! Hopefully my work truck ends up as nice as yours!
Old 10-28-2010, 11:57 AM   #43
68Stepbed

Where do you guys buy the Rustoleum paint?

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:01 PM   #44
Lemield

I bought mine at Walmart.....about 9 bucks a quart...used 1.5 quarts...

Old 10-28-2010, 12:11 PM   #45
Christiansok

First I gotta say your truck looks awesome!
I've been looking into a rustoleum paint job for my daily driver (has a crappy flat black spray can job by PO) but the one detail I couldn't find anything on was doing two tone.

How did you paint the roof white and the tailgate letter white? Did you paint the roof first? Were runs down onto the side where it would be red a problem? Did the thin paint want to seep through the masking tape at the edge? I want to paint my truck blue with a white roof like yours but I'm not sure what order to do it in or how to mask it. Thanks.
Christiansok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:17 PM   #46
Lemield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christiansok View Post
First I gotta say your truck looks awesome!
I've been looking into a rustoleum paint job for my daily driver (has a crappy flat black spray can job by PO) but the one detail I couldn't find anything on was doing two tone.

How did you paint the roof white and the tailgate letter white? Did you paint the roof first? Were runs down onto the side where it would be red a problem? Did the thin paint want to seep through the masking tape at the edge? I want to paint my truck blue with a white roof like yours but I'm not sure what order to do it in or how to mask it. Thanks.
Hi Christiansok,

Thanks for the kind words.

I painted the roof and wheels with white Rustoleum unthinned directly from the can and used a foam brush. There are brush marks if you look close but it's a work truck so I don't care. I used a decal/sticker kit from LMC for the tailgate. I did have a few small runs...very thin coats is the key to no runs...no real seepage through the tape...again, I tried NOT to load up the roller with a lot of paint...after you do one coat, you learn the technique...difficult to describe...just need to do it...you can always practice on a old hood or fender first....Good luck...

Old 10-28-2010, 01:33 PM   #47
sleepingbag

I'm just beginning to paint my 67' in the same way. I spraybombed the top with red rustoleum and planned to roll the rest of the truck with satin black. I did one coat with the roller and decided to buy the compresser and a 20 dollar spray gun from harbor freight to spray the rest... realized how much sanding it was gonna take to make the black smooth. Truck is far from perfect but I just got sick of seeing it in milky black primer. Sorry for the hijack, but I've been thinking about this for along time and was stoked to see a thread about this! BTW your truck looks great!
Attached Images

sleepingbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:14 PM   #48
Lemield

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingbag View Post
I'm just beginning to paint my 67' in the same way. I spraybombed the top with red rustoleum and planned to roll the rest of the truck with satin black. I did one coat with the roller and decided to buy the compresser and a 20 dollar spray gun from harbor freight to spray the rest... realized how much sanding it was gonna take to make the black smooth. Truck is far from perfect but I just got sick of seeing it in milky black primer. Sorry for the hijack, but I've been thinking about this for along time and was stoked to see a thread about this! BTW your truck looks great!
Your truck will look good soon. I didn't really spend much time sanding mine since it is a work truck and I didn't want to cry if it got chipped or a bird crapped on it.....Thanks for the compliment....

Old 10-28-2010, 02:40 PM   #49
Swifty

I'm going to attempt this same process on my interior & dash....
Old 10-28-2010, 03:33 PM   #50
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Very nice job on your truck. I like your dent cover ups.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote