The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #76
jocko

Re: Will a spray-on bedliner de-value my truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry b View Post
Do what you want. These trucks will never be worth that much cash.
Good point, I think I'll run out and spray a bedliner in my loaded 72 Cheyenne Super. Oh wait, I don't have one BECAUSE I CAN'T AFFORD ONE.....

I'd have to say I respectfully disagree with you. SOME of these 67-72 trucks are worth a LOT of cash. Mid-20's is common for well-restored loaded trucks that were worth something to begin with - and I've seen mid-50's on some of them as well for exceptional examples (rare, yes - but it would not sell for mid-50's if it had a liner sprayed in). I've never seen one with a bedliner bring as much as it would have brought without the bedliner.

But back to reality here - the bottom line (in my pea brain) is that I agree with the idea that it's certainly up to the owner. If ya want it, go for it. If you don't, then don't. But the gray area is those that struggle with this exact question (as I have at times) as to whether or not it will hurt future value. The answer to that simple question is yes, maybe. It most likely will hurt the value of the truck, unless it's a beater. And at the very least (and perhaps more importantly when you're trying to sell one of these trucks) - it will significantly diminish the number of folks that would consider buying it. While many won't care that it has a liner - they certainly won't more readily buy it because it does have one - they'll just be looking for a truck. So it won't increase the value. But, for many buyers, when they see a liner, they immediately pass and move on to the next truck. Just because an individual thinks it's ok - does not mean you are not seriously shrinking your buyer pool.

My advice would be this - if you're struggling with doing this, then don't. You can always do it later. If it's a driver and you're going to throw parts around in the back - then it becomes much, much more logical to spray in a liner. But, even if you are going to throw stuff around in the back - and KNOW you're gonna sell or restore it down the road - I'd go with a plastic liner (or no liner - maybe just the good thick rubber bed mats) that you can yank out later and restore the bed - IF that's a future plan.
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #77
otsenre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daner View Post
I added bedliner to my truck since the floor was pitted and dented in from rust and picking rocks and had a few small rust throughs up front where the water sat. It's going to be my service truck for the farm so fuel tank/ tools exc. If it was going to be a show stopper it would have needed a whole new floor anyway. This way I can use it and not worry.

I only covered the floor, tailgate, and about 3in up around the edges where that trim line goes all the way around. I think it looks good and you wouldn't even know it was there if you didn't see it on the tailgate. I'll post a pic when I go back home this weekend.

If I were ever to BUY a show quality truck which I wouldn't ever do anyway. I would prefer if it had the bedliner in. That way when the inevitable hard object got put in the back I wouldn't have to worry about scratches. But I suppose a mat would serve that purpose.

I hate to be so long winded but here's one more thing.

I rolled Herculiner on my truck. Was like $110 for 5 qts with rollers and stuff. Being a cheap kid in college sorta limits what I can spend for differences in quality between liners. Used maybe 3qts. So I lined the joint where leather meets sole on my boots and now they are waterproof again. lol
I also used roll on herculiner (2 coats) I liked it Name:  IMG_3414.JPG
Views: 397
Size:  51.3 KB

Name:  IMG_3426.JPG
Views: 434
Size:  84.7 KB
otsenre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:00 PM   #78
jocko

wow - that looks better than any roll-on liner I've ever seen. Must all come down to technique - that looks great.
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:01 PM   #79
dropanddrag71

Here's how i decided today that i will get one... Went to the home depot and i found myself spreading blankets, sheets, what ever i had not to scratch my newly painted truck... Thats no way to live when you own a truck..
I will get one...
Question... Line X or Rhino, do they mix the color in to match the paint, getting a top coat after defeats the whole reason for getting it.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #80
72peace

The rhino is normally a softer, thicker coating that absorbs most hits, the line-x is a harder, thinner coating that will take most anything, your roll in's are usually thinner but have some type of sand mixed in to prevent cargo from sliding, and your plastic liner's are thicker, hard plastic. Let's look at a scenario, you have an engine block in your bed and your driving through traffic; if you have a plastic bed liner, the block will probably slide around and scratch up the liner, but rust under the liner is a concern; if you have a softer rhino bed liner, the block probably won't move just by driving but when you slide it out to move it, it may scratch and take off some of the liner and it will fade over time; if you have the line-x bed liner, the block may slide around but probably won't scratch the liner, if you don't use a top coat or color match it will fade over time, if you do, it won't fade, but it's probably the most expensive option $500-700 depending on how much you get done; if you use the roll on bed liner, the block probably won't move because of the sand in the paint, but as the sand wears so will the liner, cheapest option $30-50. So, again it depends on what you want, your budget, and your plans for the long haul. But then again, some would never have an engine block in their bed, so there you go.

Cheers,
72peace is offline   Reply With Quote