The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-16-2020, 06:30 AM   #26
cadillac_al

Re: 1978 K10 Suburban Suspension Assessment

I would put 2" lift soft ride springs all around it and call it a day. That gap in the springs is pretty weird. There is a company that makes really nice beefy front shackles for these trucks. I can't think of the name right now.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 02:02 AM   #27
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
couple more
Nicely done. Looks like you have the factory quad shock option. Installed those brackets on my 85.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 02:05 AM   #28
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanAK View Post
Really very well done! Thanks for sharing. You took that rig from 'huge station wagon' to 'capable truck'. I don't have any plans for major driveline changes unless something in the diffs would fail. Only possible thing would be converting the full-time NP203 to part time. I get about 10mpg at the moment.

Here's the wrinkle with all this... this is my daily driver and my slider is currently being used by a friend that got jammed up. So I don't have the luxury of having my truck laid up for days or weeks while I rebuild. So this will be a 'phased' approach. Which also let's my phase out my budget to buy everything I need. So right now I think it'll look something like this:

Spring rates and height TBD, but will be between stock 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton. I like the idea of going towards 3/4 rate and height.

Step 1 - Shocks. Front and rear. I've always had good luck with Bilstein 4600s. I can fit the install in in an evening or Saturday.

Step 2 - Rear springs. Buy new or grab pull-a-part leaf packs to have rebuilt/re-arched. New bushings, new U-bolts, new center pins. Have everything ready to go so I pull the old and slam in the new. I have 5+1 leafs now.

Step 3 - Front springs. Buy new or grab pull-a-part leaf packs to have rebuilt/re-arched. New bushings, new U-bolts, new center pins. NEW SHACKLES. Have everything ready to go so I pull the old and slam in the new. I have 2-leaf fronts.

Step 4 - fine tune height and level with ORD 1" zero-rates or spacers.

Step 4 - Steering and alignment.

A couple questions...

Bushings - rubber, poly, grease-able poly (ORD)?

Re-arch - is this a long-lasting solution? I have a line on pull-a-part springs for cheap that I could rebuild and have re-arched.

Any thoughts on a supplier for front shackles? I'm not seeing any stock ones around...

Really appreciate everyone's input. This should bring the old Burb back to it's former truck self.

R
For shackles check out RuffStuff. Good products for reasonable prices. https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com.../Shackles.html
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 08:09 AM   #29
cadillac_al

These are what we want.

http://ww.offroaddesign.com/catalog/FUSH.htm
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote