The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2022, 01:32 PM   #76
72 tigger

Re: Found my grandfathers 71 gmc

Still waiting for the thread title to change to: I bought my grandfathers truck!!”
Pulling for you!
Kirk
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 02:56 PM   #77
SCHRUMGMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 tigger View Post
Still waiting for the thread title to change to: I bought my grandfathers truck!!”
Pulling for you!

Thank you so much

Awaiting patiently for their decision
Old 02-03-2022, 02:25 PM   #78
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

While not about a Chevy Truck, my story is about understanding sentimental loss and yearning for it back:

My dad got his first car in the mid-60s while in high school, a 1930 Model-A. It was missing just about everything but he got it working. When he went into the Navy it went into storage (well a backyard barn really) and he pulled out in the late 70s, when I was just a kid. From then on out it me and him working on it and then my brother and Dad. The model A was my dads primary car to drive (anywhere, including to Garland, Tx to visit his Mom & Dad from Longview, Tx). Kind of crazy now thing about my Dad driving a Model A all over town from about '78 until the early 90s. Also, there must have been a dozen or so family members that learn to drive in that Model A (my Dad was the oldest of 7). Nearly every kid on my street growing up drove this car as their first car to drive.

My brother is the car mechanic (restoring 20~30s Ford is what he does), so he really got into it with my dad. When both my mom were classified as disabled, my brother got his hard ship license in 8th grade and the Model A was the car he drove from then on out. My brother drove this car until he was in Dallas where it ended up being stolen right under his nose at his apartment complex around 2005. It was like we lost a family member.

To make this story even sadder, about a year or so ago he was going to some guys place in East Texas that he was told had "old 30s Ford parts" for sell. In all the stuff on this guys land was a cut up Model A Ford... which was my Dads that got stolen from my brother in Dallas. There wasn't much left but what was left we could tell it was Dads... from the hole for the "whip CB antenna" to some welding scars (the car was a 100% beater but drove like an angel). When my brother called me from that place, I really thought he was going to have a mental break down and not recover...

So all of that is to say: if you can get your grandfather truck, get it! I am rooting for you!
Attached Images

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 03:08 PM   #79
SCHRUMGMC

I have been so consistent in many years of not giving up on finding it and never really gave up hope, only tried to get it off my mind for a bit.

Still waiting on their reply
Old 02-03-2022, 09:56 PM   #80
4thgencreamsicle

My Dad did the same thing with his dad’s old Bronco. He had bought it from his dad and restored it when I was little. Times were tough and he sold it to make ends meet. 20 years later he found the current owners and with patience, respect, and a few offers a few years apart he was finally able to buy it back from them. Last year he gave it to my brother and it will stay in the family for now on for sure. I think my nephews are already fighting over who gets it. Lol.
4thgencreamsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 10:31 PM   #81
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Sorry to go on about my Dad's Model A. My brother just sent me a photo of a collage our Aunt (my Dad's sister) made, who just passed away last week. He was able to bring it home from Indiana.

Front in center of this collage was what I was wanting to get a capture of and post originally. My Dad worked like 20+ years at the Longview News-Journal (news paper) and they did a "Car Care" story in the Sunday paper. As you can tell him and his car was full page that Sunday for that article. While not everyone new my Dad in Longview, they did know his car.

You also see the history of the car and my family.

PS: and yes, it towed my broke down Mustangs home many times....
Attached Images

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 11:06 PM   #82
SCHRUMGMC

That’s neat. I love hearing stories such as that

I just hope my story is a success here soon
Old 02-05-2022, 03:20 PM   #83
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

I sure hope they sell it to you! I have a similar story. My great uncle had a 1940 Ford and he took me every where in that car when I was probably 5-15. He was my grandpa's brother. He wasn't very mechanically inclined so he had my dad do a lot of work for him over the years. That meant I got to watch and polish chrome when they worked on it. He always had dreams of restoring the car and had been collecting parts for it for years. In 1995 he past away. There's a whole other debacle with the car and him passing I will leave out. The car was "restored" by a car club he belonged to from 1998-2001 or so. My aunt sold the car in 2002. I couldn't afford it then just getting out of college. In 2008 I saw a 1940 Ford for sale on craigslist and thought it looked like Uncle Jerrys car. The new version. It was. I was able to buy it and I'll never sell it. Fast forward to 2 years ago a very old man stopped at my parent's house looking for the 40. He said he used to own the car before my Uncle did and asked my mother if I'd sell it. She didn't even take his number and I kind of wished she would have. It would be nice to know the history of it before. I did feel bad for a minute not wanting to sell it to him but that car was in my child hood memories more than anything else. At least these folks may not have that type of connection with your grandfather's truck. Good luck, I hope they decide to sell it to you.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 04:02 PM   #84
georgieb51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich72C10 View Post
While not about a Chevy Truck, my story is about understanding sentimental loss and yearning for it back:

My dad got his first car in the mid-60s while in high school, a 1930 Model-A. It was missing just about everything but he got it working. When he went into the Navy it went into storage (well a backyard barn really) and he pulled out in the late 70s, when I was just a kid. From then on out it me and him working on it and then my brother and Dad. The model A was my dads primary car to drive (anywhere, including to Garland, Tx to visit his Mom & Dad from Longview, Tx). Kind of crazy now thing about my Dad driving a Model A all over town from about '78 until the early 90s. Also, there must have been a dozen or so family members that learn to drive in that Model A (my Dad was the oldest of 7). Nearly every kid on my street growing up drove this car as their first car to drive.

My brother is the car mechanic (restoring 20~30s Ford is what he does), so he really got into it with my dad. When both my mom were classified as disabled, my brother got his hard ship license in 8th grade and the Model A was the car he drove from then on out. My brother drove this car until he was in Dallas where it ended up being stolen right under his nose at his apartment complex around 2005. It was like we lost a family member.

To make this story even sadder, about a year or so ago he was going to some guys place in East Texas that he was told had "old 30s Ford parts" for sell. In all the stuff on this guys land was a cut up Model A Ford... which was my Dads that got stolen from my brother in Dallas. There wasn't much left but what was left we could tell it was Dads... from the hole for the "whip CB antenna" to some welding scars (the car was a 100% beater but drove like an angel). When my brother called me from that place, I really thought he was going to have a mental break down and not recover...

So all of that is to say: if you can get your grandfather truck, get it! I am rooting for you!
Thanks for that story Ryan. It sort of tore my heart in a couple different directions. If anything it tells a story of how it is not always easy to figure out what to do. I too wish you could have talked with the previous owner. You both would have benefitted even if you could not sell it. He could talk with you and keep in touch and get a ride, etc, and the car would somehow still be in his life. It would have been a wonderful thing to be able to share the car with him in that way.
1967 Chevy K10 Short Stepside, unrestored original.
1969 GMC CST (Longhorn) 396, buckets, unrestored.
1995 GMC K2500, 65,000 miles, 454.
georgieb51 is offline   Reply With Quote