The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2020, 02:49 PM   #26
72c20customcamper

Re: Anybody wish they’d left theirs rough and not taken it apart?

Another issue is if it's your only old car you get itchy to drive it. I can drive a classic every day of the week and not drive the same car twice. But I've been collecting for over 40 years. And my dad was doing it since the late 60s.

So I'm in no rush to get the 68 done
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 02:56 PM   #27
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

I bought mine as a driver, and as a matter of fact I just jumped in and drove her 900 miles home after purchasing, and over the years have done many mechanical and cosmetic upgrades and have no plans to touch the paint or body. She is my 20 footer and if you got close to her you'd understand why I call her that. Pics from when bought her in 2014 and from last summer.
Attached Images

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:14 PM   #28
dagnabbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
I bought mine as a driver, and as a matter of fact I just jumped in and drove her 900 miles home after purchasing, and over the years have done many mechanical and cosmetic upgrades and have no plans to touch the paint or body. She is my 20 footer and if you got close to her you'd understand why I call her that. Pics from when bought her in 2014 and from last summer.
She's a beaut!

Mine, I've driven it everyday for the last five years. I swapped the box since the old one rotted away, but other than that I can't say I have done much. New rear shocks and a set of tires is really all. I won't tear this one apart until I fall through the floor, probably.

When there are multiple projects on the go: if it runs I leave it alone, and I put my time into what doesn't run. What that often means is that the truck that really deserves restoration is never finished unfortunately.
Attached Images

1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:19 PM   #29
dagnabbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
The one thing I haven’t seen mentioned is the PRICE of paint and materials.
It’s crazy expensive to paint a truck even if you do all the labor yourself let alone pay someone to do it.
If my truck looked like the one the OP posted, I wouldn’t touch the outside paint.

Maybe color match the firewall and paint everything under the hood.
But that’s it.
The process, time, and expense of painting is quite a deterrent. It's why I have come to love unrestored paint. I also like not living in fear of shopping carts and belt buckles.

Too bad I live in Rustville Canada though. You eventually have to fix rust. Wish I had the skill to install rockers and corners like some have done and make it look somewhat original.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:27 PM   #30
Smitty

I did my whole drive train 15+ yrs. ago. Rebuilt 350, 700r4, rear end/with new gears and seals, also a new exhaust system. Drove it and parked it daily under the tree next to the driveway. Didn't pay any attention to the caulking on the drip rail. So rust did some pretty serious damage. A couple years ago I inherited some money. Was told that if I was going to do the truck , now was the time. Had been hoarding parts for 20yrs. Well I had a friend of my brothers take it down to the frame. Blasted everything then sealed, lots of fabrication, rust repaired everywhere it showed itself. Now it's been together for a couple years and garners a lot of attention every time it's out and about. I have had this truck for the last 25+yrs. and have always enjoyed it to no end. And am no longer able to park it in the driveway. While it was in work, I was too. Had to dispose of 30+years of junk in the garage. All well worth it in my book. Do whatever brings you the most enjoyment.
Attached Images

Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:49 PM   #31
HO455
Post Whore

I think it comes down to whether you truly enjoy working on your truck. Spending hours cleaning nut, bolts, and parts. Do if you enjoy only certain tasks. Some folks love doing body repairs where others only like to spin wrenches. It a task turns into a distasteful chore then it will never get done. For me I like to do it all, but I have a short attention span, so if I break things into projects that only take a week or to I am better off getting things completed. I also like to drive my vehicles, so the whole frame off restoration makes no difference to me as it will just get filthy being driven and I have too many other projects to justify spending time detailing an undercarriage.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 12:27 PM   #32
tim_mc

I completely went through mine frame up, but only repaired enough of the original body to seal it up - rockers, kickpanels & cab corners. I spent a little over a year working on it, and like many hobbies spent way too much, but I love it.

I think it depends on the truck's condition, personal goals and skillset. While some trucks are good enough to fix as you go, there are trucks like mine that are basket cases that need a lot more than just a few parts.
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2020, 02:56 PM   #33
samkost

Oh yeah
It started with getting some necessary common rust repair and blew up to a
full restoration.
Having a bad experience to what I have labeled the “Resto Shop From Hell” I had those thoughts a few times of why didn’t I just fixed a few things instead of a full restoration.
It took a little longer, definitely a few more $ bucks and loads of patience.
Eveything said and done, I glad I went full in.
Most importantly the truck had sentimental value which many can relate to.

Before and present:
Attached Images

samkost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 03:44 PM   #34
vics stuff

I have owned my truck for over 25 years. Been collecting a lot of NOS body trim and interior parts to upgrade to the Cheyenne Super package. Like most on here . I find it real hard to start the transformation on this original second owner truck. Been maintaining it with NOS parts and enjoying it immensely as it is. I also get a lot of comments on its originality. I have decided to leave it as is and build another truck with all my NOS parts that I have gathered over the past 20 years .
Vic
Attached Images

vics stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 03:47 PM   #35
68bowtie

Always love seeing that truck posted.

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 04:30 PM   #36
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_mc View Post
I completely went through mine frame up, but only repaired enough of the original body to seal it up - rockers, kickpanels & cab corners. I spent a little over a year working on it, and like many hobbies spent way too much, but I love it.

I think it depends on the truck's condition, personal goals and skillset. While some trucks are good enough to fix as you go, there are trucks like mine that are basket cases that need a lot more than just a few parts.
Love it!
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:00 PM   #37
Abomb

Would you like to guess which one I drive the most?

I have spent 10 years off and on, on my 55...I wish I had just done the mechanics and left it in primer...I’m still not done...I enjoy driving the 67 a lot more...the 5 speed helps I’m sure...
Abomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:14 PM   #38
ncsurveyor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abomb View Post
Would you like to guess which one I drive the most?

I have spent 10 years off and on, on my 55...I wish I had just done the mechanics and left it in primer...I’m still not done...I enjoy driving the 67 a lot more...the 5 speed helps I’m sure...
Point well taken, thanks!
ncsurveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:19 AM   #39
burnin oil

Do repairs in stages like pullna fender and fix it or weld in new floor pans. Thus way the truck isn't down for long periods. When you finally pull it down it won't be for years at a time. My k20 was down for less than a month when I ripped it apart. Sandblasted the cab, repainted and assembled. The trick is dedicated time and having things basically ready to go. Doing your own paint really helps.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:49 PM   #40
cebra

IMO, when you pay to play on painting a truck you enter a different ballgame. You have a lot more to worry about and it takes some of the fun away. I beat my truck and it is painted but I did it myself and it was always meant to be a daily driver so it is going to see mud, snow, gravel from dump trucks, shopping carts, door dings, fender benders, etc. The first door ding I got made me cringe but I don't even think about it now. If I had paid to have it done and expected it to remain cherry then I would be too afraid to drive it and enjoy it. I don't want a showcar, to me it is like owning a Rolex...so pretty, do you wear it, no only for weddings and funerals....kinda pointless.
Old 07-08-2020, 02:56 PM   #41
toolboxchev

I believe its called a fear of completion. Living out all of life's fulfillment's. When you see how much stuff happens in just living and working esp. now with the virus thing it leaves a mark on ya.

What does not kill ya, makes ya stronger.

toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 03:21 PM   #42
sick472

I have vehicles for both purposes (not restoring and restoring). My 85 K20 was bought with very little butchering and a fast and easy paint job by the PO, 6 years ago. I fix what needs fixing mechanically while the body rusts back out for the second time (fast and easy paint jobs don't mean good body work). Now, my 72 C10 has been apart for over 20 years in different phases of "coming back from the dead". It's almost done. I did resto-mod a 67 Mustang in those 20+ years and the next one in line is a 67 GTO - my first car, and I'm now qualified to restore it back to mostly stock.

My only regrets...I can't think of any...I really like working on them in the shop either way.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:05 PM   #43
TIMCHNE

Sent mine in for paint 6 months ago and it's almost done. It had a poor paint job on it when I got it a few years ago. I changed the drivetrain, mirrors to get it how I wanted it and drove it daily, I actually enjoyed the drive to work. People would complement me all the time, but the bad paint was embarrassing me. I pulled the trigger and found a shop that would take it on and we made a deal all I expected was driver quality somewhat straighter than it was. They out did it and it's just short of show, now I'm a little nervous about if I'll enjoy it as much as I did before, I mean I'd drive to junkyards and throw trannys in the back go climb a butte out in the desert with my daughters and never worried, leave it in a theater parking lot(minus the shifter). It was near perfect for how I liked to use it. Guess I'll let you know.
Attached Images

TIMCHNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:19 AM   #44
67C10Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMCHNE View Post
Sent mine in for paint 6 months ago and it's almost done. It had a poor paint job on it when I got it a few years ago. I changed the drivetrain, mirrors to get it how I wanted it and drove it daily, I actually enjoyed the drive to work. People would complement me all the time, but the bad paint was embarrassing me. I pulled the trigger and found a shop that would take it on and we made a deal all I expected was driver quality somewhat straighter than it was. They out did it and it's just short of show, now I'm a little nervous about if I'll enjoy it as much as I did before, I mean I'd drive to junkyards and throw trannys in the back go climb a butte out in the desert with my daughters and never worried, leave it in a theater parking lot(minus the shifter). It was near perfect for how I liked to use it. Guess I'll let you know.
Whew! That's gonna be super nice!
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:33 AM   #45
burnin oil

Thats a good looking truck. Treat it like a new car and scratch or de t it when you pick it up. You will then be able to enjoy it. Seriously though you learn to park farther out and not next to a buggy return. It becomes second nature and you still enjoy the truck. I actually have to park out back with most my vehicles anyways do to their size.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:20 PM   #46
garyd1961

I knew I didn't want to put the time and money in my 70 to do a complete restoration.
After driving it for 10 or so years I was about to let it go for junk but instead I put a new motor, trans, brakes, tires and wheels, exhaust, and a few more odds and ends on it.
It doesn't look like anything special but I like it as is. It runs good, drives good, and stops good, that's all that really matters to me.
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:03 AM   #47
custom10nut

I’m at the point where the next step will be the one “past the point of no return”.
I need to take out the old bed wood and put in the new (which I already have), media blast, prime and paint the inside of the box (after doing some minor bump work to smooth out the wheel wells), replace the rocker panels (already have those too), replace the carpet (about to order it), strip/polish/repaint the grill and trim. And then sand down prime and paint the rest of the truck.
But wait, there’s more! I first have to get my shop built, because my wife says “you ain’t doing any of that work in my new garage”!
I break ground on the 30x40 shop next month.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 01:06 PM   #48
TIMCHNE

May have the answer soon. They're hoping to be done tomorrow. It's not perfect which might make it a perfect driver.
Attached Images

TIMCHNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 02:09 PM   #49
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Looks good to me.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:45 PM   #50
SCHRUMGMC

I took my 59 gmc apart because the rust was so extensive
that it would be impossible to drive it without fixing all of it
I have torn the truck completely apart and slowly rebuilding
It...
Time will tell with my project