The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2020, 09:18 PM   #1
ThreeQuarter

Carpet color in 68 aqua interior

OK, it's time to buy carpet and I haven't been able to settle on the best/right color yet for my 503 light green pickup with green cloth interior. Even though carpet isn't on my SPID, I'd like to install what would have come from the factory, if equipped. I've gotten samples from a couple of suppliers and they seem to be working with the same pallate, none of which seem right to me.

I'm under the impression the carpet would have more or less matched the dash pad, which was a darker, deeper green than the rest of the aqua interior. I've attached an internet pic of what I think the color would have been (below).

Is this pic showing the correct color carpet for a '68 aqua interior?

Does anyone know a source for this color carpet? (...and their name/code for it?)
Attached Images

ThreeQuarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:00 AM   #2
SkidmoreGarage

Re: Carpet color in 68 aqua interior

I have the same question, I'd like to go carpet when I do the interior. It still has the original vinyl floor, which is the same color as, or even a little lighter than, the original dash pad.
SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:52 AM   #3
toms68cst

It's a bit of a tough call.

Customs had color-keyed vinyl floors. CSTs had color-keyed carpet. The picture you posted looks like a Custom level interior so technically it should have a color-matching vinyl mat not carpet.

I was looking at stockinteriors.com and they had a pretty wide variety of colors including some turquoise selections depending on the type carpet selected. Might be tough getting a nice looking match especially with that green. Will they send samples out?

TREASURER, Drum Brake Club.
toms68cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:29 AM   #4
68Gold/white

Quote:
Originally Posted by toms68cst View Post
It's a bit of a tough call.

Customs had color-keyed vinyl floors. CSTs had color-keyed carpet. The picture you posted looks like a Custom level interior so technically it should have a color-matching vinyl mat not carpet.

I was looking at stockinteriors.com and they had a pretty wide variety of colors including some turquoise selections depending on the type carpet selected. Might be tough getting a nice looking match especially with that green. Will they send samples out?
Hmmm. The cab flooring in these old pickups (along with the drivers side of the seat cover) had very short life spans, did not hold up well. I'm not sure if I've ever seen any original flooring in ANY of these old pickups.

My 68 Golden had indoor/outdoor carpeting in the cab and bed floor when I bought it in 1980. There IS what's left of the factory rubber floor mat. It is black and very thin and fragile. I've never seen a colored vinyl/rubber floor mat, BUT I've not seen nearly as many as some of the awesome folks here, that have bought and sold/owned MANY of these old pickups.
Does anyone sell colored vinyl/rubber floor coverings???
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:49 AM   #5
ThreeQuarter

I sorta suspected that, Tom, because I don’t remember ever seeing a separate RPO for carpet. I asked Stock Interiors to send me all their greens and turquoises/aquas, but I didn’t get anything quite as deep green as the dash color is. Their 588 Dark Green is a little on the olive side, looks like it would go with 506 Dark Olive Poly.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:57 AM   #6
ThreeQuarter

Jeff, my pickup came with a green rubber mat, same as what Skidmore describes. It was very brittle by the time I got it and the paint/dye had almost completely rubbed off. It looked black except in the corners where it wasn’t worn. I don’t know of any sources for colored rubber mats.

Last edited by ThreeQuarter; 07-09-2020 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-09-2020, 01:42 PM   #7
TBohne

Rockauto has the ACC carpet that has all of their colors in the info, I have also wondered this same thing as I have the aqua interior in a 505 green 68, looks like they have a 05 aqua and 08 dark green.
TBohne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 01:46 PM   #8
68Gold/white

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeQuarter View Post
Jeff, my pickup came with a green rubber mat, same as what Skidmire describes. It was very brittle by the time I got it and the paint/dye had almost completely rubbed off. It looked black except in the corners where it wasn’t worn. I don’t know of any sources for colored rubber mats.
Ben, Thanks!!! I hope to get my 68 of hiding from my garage, here soon. I will look under the corners, of what's left of my mat, to see if it's gold....

I'd like to hear from others about colored flooring in their pickups. Of course this is referring to the factory rubber floor covering that covers the entire exposed floor area, NOT removable floor mats...
Old 07-09-2020, 02:39 PM   #9
HO455
Post Whore

Another day that I learned something here! I didn't know there were color matched rubber floor mats back in the day. In the poor back woods of North Idaho we only had black rubber mats. Lots of crummies had dryer felt cut to fit the floor so calk boots wouldn't shred the mat and then start working their way through the floorboard.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 02:46 PM   #10
68Gold/white

Ben, Is that a picture of the interior of your pickup??? Looks nice!!!
Old 07-09-2020, 06:44 PM   #11
tim_mc

Sharp looking truck! I went with ACC carpet from Stock Interiors...508-Turquoise/Aqua 80-20 Loop. That seemed to compliment the interior the best, but a darker green to match the armrests and dash pad would look great too.

The turquoise drivers door panel is original, but the door was replaced with a '69 C10 in 503 green (same color inside and out). I couldn't salvage the original door, but was lucky to find one that was 503 green and had the same rust streak from the JV mirrors.
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2020, 09:16 PM   #12
Astro-Balls

Color chart..
https://www.accmats.com/material-color/flooring/

https://www.accmats.com/material-color/flooring/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWK8GgWD4uA
Astro-Balls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:13 PM   #13
ThreeQuarter

Jeff, unfortunately it’s not my pickup, just a pic I snagged off the net.

Tim, thanks for the pic of the aqua carpet on a green interior. Looks like a good option.

Astro, thanks for following my quest for the right shades of green. What are you supposing is the right carpet I’m looking for? 08 Dark Green? Maybe 45 Green?