The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-24-2019, 05:12 PM   #1
EagleScreech

1962..ish Beater K10

Hello all,
I picked up this truck in Weatherford, TX in summer '17 after seeing a craigslist ad and shooting the guy a offer/trade deal. Of course, it was MUCH worse than the pictures made it seem!
I'd been itching for a 4x4 frame for my daily '66 (I blame argonaut's Big Ugly) so I secretly planned on doing a frame swap down the road, but I think the beat up look and functional aspect of this thing made me change my mind.
The frame is a 60-62 and the cab is 64-66. I don't know any history on the truck at all, sadly. Big mess of frankenstein GM parts. No title.
The good: The 283 ran, TC shifted and turned how it should in all gears, I already had a lead on a new cab and front clip in decent shape (sorta), I had a bunch of 60-66 parts laying around after building my '66, and the frame hadn't been completely hacked up.
The Bad: Horrible brushed on camo (no cool patina), SM420 didn't shift into reverse or 3/4, one driveshaft was missing the female splined end, and the cab was pure trash. No brakes to speak of and no idea what condition the diffs are in.
BUT... every single bolt I've turned has come out strangely easily, every little job on it has gone smoothly. It's like the truck is telling me to save it. It's one of the very few K-trucks and it's survived the crusher - I'd love to resurrect it for a cool old work truck.
I plan to keep it as stock as possible and reuse what I can with my college kid budget. I start nursing school on Monday but I'll get to it throughout the semester and post updates when I can. Starting this thread has been on the to-do list for over a year and it feels awesome to finally do it!
Attached Images

EagleScreech is offline   Reply With Quote