The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2015, 01:50 PM   #1
Garyhenrich

Blazer chassis under 54 chev pickup?

Is it possible to take a 54 chevy pick up and instead of putting it on a S-10 chassis use a blazer chassis to get IFS 4 wheel drive but keep it lower than stock? I realize it is too short, maybe put the Blazer front clip on a S10 longbed frame...something like that? I am just finishing my S10 conversion on my 48 but a friend would like to take his 54 and set it up for his wife to drive in a hilly showy area, 4x4 is needed and they want a lower stance. has anyone tried it yet?
Garyhenrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:12 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Blazer chassis under 54 chev pickup?

I drug a free S-10 blazer home a few years ago because I wanted the rear axle and those rigs have such a short wheelbase that they aren't going to work under an AD truck except an extremely cobbled up one. As if he wanted to waste an AD cab building a crawler. I use the crawler thing as there are a number of crawlers around here that have had cabs or bodys swapped on them after rolling down a couple of hills end over end or sideways and destroying the original body or what was left of it.

Long bed S-10 4x4 trucks aren't that hard to find (easier than 2x4 here) and no more expensive than a two wheel drive.

His other option if he already has a Bazer is to find a good stripped long bed standard cab frame and swap the parts. Or a bit more difficult but not that drasic, stretch the Blazer frame with square tubing or a section of frame rail from a donor truck.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 04:55 AM   #3
msaintg

I used a 4x4 S10 blazer drivetrain. I converted it to 2x4, but you could leave it 4x4 and lower it if you want to just by changing the 'keys' on the ends of the torsion rods. The Blazer frame is 9" shorter than the truck frame so it needs to be lengthened. I moved the rear suspension back the 9" which also moves it up 3" (which helps to lower it)

The good about the blazer frame is that it is boxed all the way back to the rear suspension so it is stronger. the bad..... nothing is the same as the S10 truck frame.
msaintg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 03:44 PM   #4
Old Truck Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyhenrich View Post
Is it possible to take a 54 chevy pick up and instead of putting it on a S-10 chassis use a blazer chassis to get IFS 4 wheel drive but keep it lower than stock? I realize it is too short, maybe put the Blazer front clip on a S10 longbed frame...something like that? I am just finishing my S10 conversion on my 48 but a friend would like to take his 54 and set it up for his wife to drive in a hilly showy area, 4x4 is needed and they want a lower stance. has anyone tried it yet?
Hi I have a 48 3100. What is the benefit to S10 vs a custom and what is the cost range?
Old Truck Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:05 PM   #5
Garyhenrich

If you don't have big bucks, S10 conversion can be the least expensive option, around $2-400 for an old S10 and you get all the suspension, power brakes, power steering, brake pedals, steering column and a bunch of other parts. Even the engine can be used. You could it have it on the road in a few weeks. Then depending on your budget, upgrade engine, brakes suspension, column. From my view, if you have a big budget and want a show truck, go all custom, ready made new frame, engine everything, but be prepared for $10-20,000. Mine will be on the road with the S10 conversion and v8 for $3k plus the $2500 for the truck plus paint. It's all about how much time you have and how much money your willing to spend.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:21 PM   #6
mr48chev

Scrappers and flippers looking for guys wanting to do S-10 swaps have run the price up on those trucks over here plus a lot of guys still buy them to drive as S-10's in this part of the state.
Old truck nut, Doing the S-10 chassis swap is perceived as being very inexpensive and quick to do. Cost depends on the price of a usable S-10 standard cab longbed chassis in your area. If you buy the 1500 dollar kit that a couple of outfits put out you have negated the savings over putting a decent MII style front suspension and swapping rear axles.
It's pretty well known that I am a proponent of using the stock 3100 frame if you have a good solid stock frame to begin with. I just feel that it makes a better truck out of it. From experience it is a lot less hassle to get fenders bed and what not lined up where they belong with a stock frame and modern suspension than after a frame swap or subframe swap. The best case for a frame swap is that your frame has been hacked by previous owners engine swaps, wreck damaged or you just don't have a frame because you bought a nice cab off a big truck, fenders and bed at a couple of swap meets and the hood from the guy down the street who saw your truck pieces one day when he drove by. Then head on, stick the S-10 frame under it. I have part of a 53 cab out in the shed that may get that swap as it came to me as just a cab with a great floor with the roof cut off. I've hung onto it for close to 30 years waiting to do something with it.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:56 PM   #7
Garyhenrich

You are certainly correct on all points.
I chose the S10 because I had a 3800 1 ton and the S10 was a great option to turn it into a 1/2 ton with the modern suspension and get it closer to the ground.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:23 PM   #8
swanny11

I chose a cop car
1996 caprice just with modding the middle frame width. If the tire to tire lengths are close and the width is close then your pretty much golden
swanny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:58 PM   #9
Old Truck Nut

What if you could buy a New Custom Frame Kit for less than $1500 ready for any IFS you wanted. would you buy it?
Old Truck Nut is offline   Reply With Quote