The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2019, 12:41 AM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chino Hills
Posts: 1,788
Line bores

I have a old service replacement 327 small journal block I have been trying to unload.

Well I also have a 400 crank, and a bunch of other speed parts.

So can I line bore a 327 small journal block to large journal?

I know I can not turn the crank to small journal status. Just thought I could use what I have, and make it what I want.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 05:57 PM   #2
cadillac_al
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,834
Re: Line bores

You should be able to trade it for a newer block easily. I'd make a 302 out of it for my Camaro.
__________________
76 Chevy K20
76 GMC K15
77 Chevy C10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 06:03 PM   #3
Ziegelsteinfaust
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chino Hills
Posts: 1,788
Re: Line bores

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
You should be able to trade it for a newer block easily. I'd make a 302 out of it for my Camaro.
It has been on craigslist several times with no calls
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:28 PM   #4
MySons68C20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Wenatchee, Wa
Posts: 271
Re: Line bores

Re list it with Al's idea and I'll bet it gets more attention.
Who doesn't like a 7000 rpm small block Chevy?
MySons68C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:07 PM   #5
sweetk30
selective wrench turner guy
 
sweetk30's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: horseheads,ny rust belt
Posts: 2,234
Re: Line bores

nice built 302 GM engine in a nice little street machine to whoop on ford 302 units would be so fun .

i was in a friends 99 ls1 / 6 speed camaro and passed a friend in his TRUE Z/28 302 car and he whooped my arss with out even trying . . . .
__________________
77-k30lb BIG truck build .
87-k30lb budget beater build .
85-k30lb the plow machine build .
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 11:23 PM   #6
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Posts: 22,380
Re: Line bores

If in your 'other speed parts' you happen to have a 283 crank, you have the basics for a 302. I have a set of forged 302 pistons and a forged 283 crank, but have not been able to find a reasonably priced SJ327 block. Everyone around here thinks they're made of gold.
__________________
Power Steering Box Adapter Plates For Sale HERE
Power Brake Booster Adapter Brackets For Sale '63-'66 HERE and '67-'72 HERE and '60-'62 HERE and "60-'62 with clutch HERE
Rear Disc Brake Brackets For Sale. Impala SS calipers HERE Camaro Calipers HERE D52 Calipers HERE 6 Lug HERE
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:20 AM   #7
Ziegelsteinfaust
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chino Hills
Posts: 1,788
Re: Line bores

I got the block with a project vehicle, and a TH700. Just the block.

Also the engine I am building is a for a poorly conceived truck to tow with that I want. In order to make the tunnel ram work I need some decent cubes, and the same helps with the towing part.

So I will list it once again this week, and continue saving for the dart shp block.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:46 AM   #8
geezer#99
Registered User
 
geezer#99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bowser
Posts: 11,080
Re: Line bores

Set up right I don’t think a tunnel ram needs lots of cubes.
Buddy of mine runs a hi-ram on his 327.
Some good info on hotrodders about set ups.

https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/cam-523737-3.html
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 02:38 PM   #9
Ziegelsteinfaust
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chino Hills
Posts: 1,788
Re: Line bores

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Set up right I donít think a tunnel ram needs lots of cubes.
Buddy of mine runs a hi-ram on his 327.
Some good info on hotrodders about set ups.

https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/cam-523737-3.html
Mine is not the best for the street, and matches the heads I have which are not the best for the street. So the cubes is to help it deal with the parts I have.

I got the Holley Dominator tunnel ram with dual offset carbs.

If I had a Wieland it would not be nearly as dependent on cubic inches to run decent.

So I have to accommodate the best I can which is a great cam, and cubic inches to tame the beast the best I can. I will use dual Holley terminator tbi's to make it livable.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 02:54 PM   #10
geezer#99
Registered User
 
geezer#99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bowser
Posts: 11,080
Re: Line bores

Gotcha!
Two similar but different beasts!
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 01:15 AM   #11
71cheyennesuperlongb
Registered User
 
71cheyennesuperlongb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Alcoa;Tn
Posts: 190
Re: Line bores

I think some sbc bottom cylinders were not machined for the counterweights on the crank.IDK when they changed but someone here will know.
__________________
'71 Cheyenne Super LWB - Second Owner in 39 Years!
'70 CST/10 SWB - Soon to be Daughter's truck when finished
71cheyennesuperlongb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 10:29 AM   #12
b454rat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Binghamton, NY
Posts: 3,101
Re: Line bores

Its the same as a 350 block, and those weights clear. Won't have any issues with a 283 crank.
b454rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 02:22 PM   #13
68c10owner
Senior Member
 
68c10owner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Carmichael, California
Posts: 2,953
Re: Line bores

Quote:
Originally Posted by b454rat View Post
Its the same as a 350 block, and those weights clear. Won't have any issues with a 283 crank.
A small journal 327 and a 350 block are not the same
__________________
Anthony
78 C10 SWB
68c10owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 02:25 PM   #14
68c10owner
Senior Member
 
68c10owner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Carmichael, California
Posts: 2,953
Re: Line bores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
I got the block with a project vehicle, and a TH700. Just the block.

Also the engine I am building is a for a poorly conceived truck to tow with that I want. In order to make the tunnel ram work I need some decent cubes, and the same helps with the towing part.

So I will list it once again this week, and continue saving for the dart shp block.
I would not run a tunnel ram on a truck you are planning to use for towing. If you want to use the early 327 block there use to be a stroker crank kit designed for them. But with only a 2 bolt main available in the small journal blocks I would just find a 4 bolt 350 block. Summit use to sell a fully prepped 350 4 bolt main block for $650. Not sure if they still offer it.
__________________
Anthony
78 C10 SWB
68c10owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 06:29 PM   #15
Ziegelsteinfaust
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chino Hills
Posts: 1,788
Re: Line bores

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68c10owner View Post
I would not run a tunnel ram on a truck you are planning to use for towing. If you want to use the early 327 block there use to be a stroker crank kit designed for them. But with only a 2 bolt main available in the small journal blocks I would just find a 4 bolt 350 block. Summit use to sell a fully prepped 350 4 bolt main block for $650. Not sure if they still offer it.
I dont tow often or very far usually. The 383 minimal the tunnel ram will go on will be at 3000rpm at 60 mph in drive. So I will have air velocity on my side.

The stroker cranks for small journals are $1500+ due to custom ordering, and as i was told needed to be forged. Called 2 different crank companies. Or roughly the same cost as a Dart shp block that fits what I have.

I have a 350 i need to disassemble to see if it any good, but older blocks for my intended purpose are a touch on the weak side. Where the shp is perfectly happy. Plus has priority oiling, and a couple of other nice features.

The truck I build this for is not intended to be practical, but be able to do some practical stuff.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:16 PM   #16
68c10owner
Senior Member
 
68c10owner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Carmichael, California
Posts: 2,953
Re: Line bores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
I dont tow often or very far usually. The 383 minimal the tunnel ram will go on will be at 3000rpm at 60 mph in drive. So I will have air velocity on my side.

The stroker cranks for small journals are $1500+ due to custom ordering, and as i was told needed to be forged. Called 2 different crank companies. Or roughly the same cost as a Dart shp block that fits what I have.

I have a 350 i need to disassemble to see if it any good, but older blocks for my intended purpose are a touch on the weak side. Where the shp is perfectly happy. Plus has priority oiling, and a couple of other nice features.

The truck I build this for is not intended to be practical, but be able to do some practical stuff.

I would not run a tunnel ram for this application at all. Completely the wrong application.

Eagle use to make a crank bit it wasn't even $1000. Bit again, I wouldn't use that block for a 383 build. You don't need to have forged cranks and high dollar parts for a build like this. Sounds to me like the shops you have been talking to are more interested in taking your money than actually working with you to build something that is suited to how the truck will be used. I've been doing this a long time and far too often I see guys who are not very knowledgeable listening to the wrong folks and throwing away good money.
__________________
Anthony
78 C10 SWB
68c10owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:38 PM   #17
Ziegelsteinfaust
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chino Hills
Posts: 1,788
Re: Line bores

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68c10owner View Post
I would not run a tunnel ram for this application at all. Completely the wrong application.

Eagle use to make a crank bit it wasn't even $1000. Bit again, I wouldn't use that block for a 383 build. You don't need to have forged cranks and high dollar parts for a build like this. Sounds to me like the shops you have been talking to are more interested in taking your money than actually working with you to build something that is suited to how the truck will be used. I've been doing this a long time and far too often I see guys who are not very knowledgeable listening to the wrong folks and throwing away good money.
They were crank manufacturers not shops. It would be special order, and that's what they told me.

Used to is the operative word. There is no more want, and they won't make the supply.

I am a pretty Big LT1 350 fan, but they only have one carb manifold. I would prefer to put the tunnel ram on that engine, but the cost is pretty extreme if I can find someone willing to do it.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com