The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2021, 03:35 AM   #1
MiraclePieCo

Truck

This forum could use an ongoing thread to feature unusual stuff like this. Or maybe not... ;-)
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2021, 11:49 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Truck

The spikes are illegal in this state. That and in the long run that kind of junk just hurts those of us who build decent trucks as they give anti modified vehicle radicals food to try and get modified vehicles off the roads.

RCW 46.37.369
Wheels and front suspension.
(1) No vehicle shall be equipped with wheel nuts, hub caps, or wheel discs extending outside the body of the vehicle when viewed from directly above which:
(a) Incorporate winged projections; or
(b) Constitute a hazard to pedestrians and cyclists.
For the purposes of this section, a wheel nut is defined as an exposed nut which is mounted at the center or hub of a wheel, and is not one of the ordinary hexagonal nuts which secure a wheel to an axle and are normally covered by a hub cap or wheel disc.
(2) Tire rims and wheel discs shall have no visible cracks, elongated bolt holes, or indications of repair by welding. In addition, the lateral and radial runout of each rim bead area shall not exceed one-eighth of an inch of total indicated runout.
(3) King pins or ball joints shall not be worn to the extent that front wheels tip in or out more than one-quarter of an inch at the lower edge of the tire.
[ 1977 ex.s. c 355 § 30.]

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 03:22 PM   #3
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
Or maybe not... ;-)
i can appreciate totally stock, modified or crazy modified, like that one
i enjoy looking at all of them, but sometime i just shake my head and say "why?"
when we question the look or the why, it sort of crosses the line of personal attacks
i'm sure TRUK has caused a lot of head shaking here

other than funky wheel nuts, it looks like a fully functional truck
my 1st 58 back in high school had a sheet metal fender similar to that
what can i say...

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 04:36 PM   #4
mr48chev

There is a rat rod show here in town every year that draws a bunch of stuff like that, most all of it trailered in because they aren't street legal nor do they have license plates.

Those are at the opposite end of the spectrum of those blown hemi powered Willys on alcohol that show up at Good Guys events and rumble from the trailer to the parking spot and twice day fire up an make a noisy loop around the fair grounds and back to the parking place to let everyone know they are there.

That one, the first state patrol it passed on the freeway in this state it would probably be towed and impounded as it has so many things that won't pass inspection here.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:38 PM   #5
my56chevytruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
i can appreciate totally stock, modified or crazy modified, like that one
i enjoy looking at all of them, but sometime i just shake my head and say "why?"
when we question the look or the why, it sort of crosses the line of personal attacks
i'm sure TRUK has caused a lot of head shaking here

other than funky wheel nuts, it looks like a fully functional truck
my 1st 58 back in high school had a sheet metal fender similar to that
what can i say...
I'm with OGRE, i enjoy creativity when it comes to sheet metal work, but i often ask WHY or YOU DID WHAT??
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:52 PM   #6
vintovka

In this state mufflers arn't even required which (even for me) is annoying
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 01:10 AM   #7
mr48chev

I've got a buddy who was a lifelong mechanic owning his own shop for close to 40 years who built a couple of nice trucks and street rods in the past. He has a little rat rod sedan that looks pretty rough from 30 ft when you walk and start looking close it has a first rate chassis under it, everything is mounted right and safe and it has all the safety features you would expect in a decent hot rod or street rod. A months worth of body work and it could be a nice hot rod. That car doesn't bother me as it is safely built, licensed and fully insured.

Herd about a state patrol stopping a rat rod on the way to the end of the world run that had an unguarded drive shaft spinning between two small kids strapped in kids seats in the back. Word is that the car was impounded.

Old 04-14-2021, 11:33 AM   #8
dsraven

I kinda like the thought of a thread for whacky trucks guys find. there is nothing like spending time with a coffee in front of the computer slamming, I mean critiquing, the stuff somebody built, haha. looking close for how they did this or that and the consequences if this or that happens. how their style is not my style and how i wouldn't have done it that way. lol.
to each their own BUT, it has to be safe for the occupants and the other people who use the same road. from other unsuspecting driver's perspective the cars driving along with them are assumed to be in a safe, legal and fully operational condition. it is why we have inspection requirements. if they look crazy or obscene to some they need to be even more legit and legal and fully operational because those would likely be the more common "routine check stop" candidates, as they should be. something driving on the same roads as our wives, kids, grandkids, that looks unsafe NEEDS to be checked for safety and compliance and towed if not, with a future requirement to pass inspection or not be eligible for licensing. maybe some stuff should be designated as for show only or off road use only. like some of the hugely lifted 4x4 trucks that would take the roof off any normal car in a crash. not saying don't build them and have all kinds of fun, just don't expect to drive them on the road any more if they don't comply with the rules of the road. the insurance policies also need to match the vehicle modifications in the case of public liability and coverage for the poor unsuspecting "other guy's" vehicle should something go amiss. as an example regular insurance for a 1932 car would assume the car were stock and may be void if the car were found to be highly "modified for speed"
generally,
-if you make it go faster than it was designed you gotta make it able to stop faster, too. make it stop good first, then add the go fast parts and check other systems to ensure they can handle the new weight, speed, aerodynamics etc
-if you change something that is safety oriented, like, say, lights, you gotta make it legal and to code so somebody who isn't a "car guy" will know if your brakes are on or if you are making a turn soon. i always chuckle at the guys with the totally smoked out tail lights. yeah, nobody can see the lights you did such a great job. now nobody behind you knows when you apply the brakes or use the turn signals unless it is pitch black dark outside
-make changes but think about the consequences and strain on other systems before you do the changes. change other systems to work with the upgraded system. sure, take a 4 banger out and drop in a big block. just don't be surprised when the front springs bottom out, it's real hard to turn and the brakes fade all the time.
-think about the parts around those parts you want to upgrade. think worst case scenario. what if a fuel leak, a coolant leak, an oil leak, where will it drip and what is there in that spot. is a heat shield required, is a mechanical restraint required instead of a zip tie. will engine torque and movement be an issue, what if an engine mount breaks when doing a burn out, is this area going to get too hot for this new part if I mount it here, etc etc.

end of rant. place smiley face here.
this space left intentionally blank (cause I don't have a pic of something totally safe or with unquestionably stellar home done engineering, haha)
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 12:52 PM   #9
jweb

Well, here's a strange one:
https://www.copart.com/lot/39561781/...000-nj-trenton
Attached Images

1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, rebuilt
1974 Prowler trailer, rebuilt
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 02:02 PM   #10
dsraven

Well that took some work. Maybe stopped short being finished. Box looks kinda different with no flanged overhung tip edge.
Gonna pass on ownership this time.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 02:20 PM   #11
_Ogre

idk... who'd want to own an 84 mazda anything?

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 03:13 PM   #12
Rickysnickers

As always, well said Dennis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
I kinda like the thought of a thread for whacky trucks guys find. there is nothing like spending time with a coffee in front of the computer slamming, I mean critiquing, the stuff somebody built, haha. looking close for how they did this or that and the consequences if this or that happens. how their style is not my style and how i wouldn't have done it that way. lol.
to each their own BUT, it has to be safe for the occupants and the other people who use the same road. from other unsuspecting driver's perspective the cars driving along with them are assumed to be in a safe, legal and fully operational condition. it is why we have inspection requirements. if they look crazy or obscene to some they need to be even more legit and legal and fully operational because those would likely be the more common "routine check stop" candidates, as they should be. something driving on the same roads as our wives, kids, grandkids, that looks unsafe NEEDS to be checked for safety and compliance and towed if not, with a future requirement to pass inspection or not be eligible for licensing. maybe some stuff should be designated as for show only or off road use only. like some of the hugely lifted 4x4 trucks that would take the roof off any normal car in a crash. not saying don't build them and have all kinds of fun, just don't expect to drive them on the road any more if they don't comply with the rules of the road. the insurance policies also need to match the vehicle modifications in the case of public liability and coverage for the poor unsuspecting "other guy's" vehicle should something go amiss. as an example regular insurance for a 1932 car would assume the car were stock and may be void if the car were found to be highly "modified for speed"
generally,
-if you make it go faster than it was designed you gotta make it able to stop faster, too. make it stop good first, then add the go fast parts and check other systems to ensure they can handle the new weight, speed, aerodynamics etc
-if you change something that is safety oriented, like, say, lights, you gotta make it legal and to code so somebody who isn't a "car guy" will know if your brakes are on or if you are making a turn soon. i always chuckle at the guys with the totally smoked out tail lights. yeah, nobody can see the lights you did such a great job. now nobody behind you knows when you apply the brakes or use the turn signals unless it is pitch black dark outside
-make changes but think about the consequences and strain on other systems before you do the changes. change other systems to work with the upgraded system. sure, take a 4 banger out and drop in a big block. just don't be surprised when the front springs bottom out, it's real hard to turn and the brakes fade all the time.
-think about the parts around those parts you want to upgrade. think worst case scenario. what if a fuel leak, a coolant leak, an oil leak, where will it drip and what is there in that spot. is a heat shield required, is a mechanical restraint required instead of a zip tie. will engine torque and movement be an issue, what if an engine mount breaks when doing a burn out, is this area going to get too hot for this new part if I mount it here, etc etc.

end of rant. place smiley face here.
this space left intentionally blank (cause I don't have a pic of something totally safe or with unquestionably stellar home done engineering, haha)
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:33 PM   #13
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
Well that took some work. Maybe stopped short being finished. Box looks kinda different with no flanged overhung tip edge.
Gonna pass on ownership this time.
its a studebaker bed and rear fenders, which by the way look pretty backwards when they are installed correctly anyway.
Attached Images

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:43 PM   #14
1project2many

Quote:
Yes. This stuff can be a big deal. Once upon a time I worked in performance shops doing all sorts of glamor stuff. One early job involved tuning and upgrades for a 3000GT twin turbo. Fast car. After doing everything I could to make it the best I could including multiple road tests we returned it to the customer on a Friday night. It was dropped unceremoniously in front of the door on Monday. Running poorly, lotsa melted "stuff" around the engine. Ultimately it was my fault. I simply hadn't considered the long term effects of the driver racing a crotch rocket at 142 mph for 10 minutes. True, he was being stupid. But if the car had crashed you can bet I would have been in court trying to explain my way back out.

On the flip side, today I climbed underneath a 2020 school bus to find the bus builder's driveshaft hanger safety loop had been installed on a C shaped piece of sheet metal which had bent after contacting a stick at 40mph. And this is going to save kids from possibly being injured by a broken spinning shaft? Nope... let's make it better.

And now for some OT content:

Attached Images

Last edited by 1project2many; 04-14-2021 at 09:51 PM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote