The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-23-2016, 08:35 PM   #1
Metalaroundstone

Help getting driveshaft yoke off

I am having trouble getting my two-peice drive shaft yoke off. The bearing is okay but the rubber was shot and I was able to get replacement rubber from Orielly of like $5. Anyway, as you can see in the pictures, there is a metal dust shield in the way of getting a puller on this yoke. How does one get this yoke off? It is a hard press fit? I don't want to take it to a drive shaft shop. I like to do it myself.
Attached Images

Metalaroundstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:59 PM   #2
62 Barnfind

Re: Help getting driveshaft yoke off

You need a claw gear puller. You can rent one at any auto parts store.
My build tread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=507513
62 Barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:25 PM   #3
Metalaroundstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 Barnfind View Post
You need a claw gear puller. You can rent one at any auto parts store.
I have a claw gear puller, but because the the dust shield is in the way, there isn't a place to hook the puller on to.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:52 PM   #4
Wrenchbender Ret

a bearing separator would probably fit in there & grab it with your puller. It is a slip fit but is rusted on. Put some solvent on it & maybe if a helper held on to the yoke you could hammer on a bolt screwed in.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:58 PM   #5
Tazimafied

I would start with some penetrating oil then slide a heat treated rod through the holes. Back the bolt out until it binds in to the rod then whack it with a dead blow. Should get it to pop off pretty easy and no tools to buy.
Tazimafied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:09 PM   #6
padresag

it is just a splined fit. thread the bolt in further put thee yoke in a vise and give the bolt head a whack
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:06 PM   #7
Metalaroundstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazimafied View Post
I would start with some penetrating oil then slide a heat treated rod through the holes. Back the bolt out until it binds in to the rod then whack it with a dead blow. Should get it to pop off pretty easy and no tools to buy.
This is basically what I did. There just wasn't enough room to get any kind of puller behind the yoke. I did not use a hammer however and the steel bar I used was not heat treated, but was 3/4" in diameter. It had plenty of strength. After sliding the bar into the u-joint holes, I sandwiched a nut between the head of the yoke bolt and the bar. I then just backed out the yoke nut with a wrench. This required a lot of torque, but the yoke finally broke free. Even so, it fought me to the bitter end and I had to use a longer 1/2" -20 nut so I would not back out OE yoke nut so far that I would risk damaging its threads. Here are some pics. The first one shows the setup. The second is the completed job.
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2016, 12:06 PM   #8
Tazimafied

Looks good. Sounds like it was on there pretty tight. A little heat on the yoke from a propane torch may have helped things along. Sorry I didn't think about that until now.
Tazimafied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:37 PM   #9
Metalaroundstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazimafied View Post
Looks good. Sounds like it was on there pretty tight. A little heat on the yoke from a propane torch may have helped things along. Sorry I didn't think about that until now.
I did heat it up a bit with an oxy-acetylene torch, but I really couldn't heat it up enough to help break it loose because I did not want to fry the bearing, which was in very good shape. Only the rubber cushion around the bearing was bad. I was able to get a new carrier bracket complete with new rubber at Orielly for less than 6 bucks. Thanks again for your help.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:32 PM   #10
Wrenchbender Ret

You used some good mechanical logic.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:43 PM   #11
Metalaroundstone

One last note about replacing the center bearing bracket. As I said, I got this bracket, complete with new rubber for less than $5.00 from Orielly. It had "Made in USA" stamped on it, so I figured it was made well. As such, I ignored the advice from other posts to reinforce the welds on it. Well, the center bearing bracket made it about 2 miles before the spot welds on it started to fail. Another 2 miles and my driveshaft would have been flailing around completely unsupported. Consequently, I had to take the drive shaft out again and drill out the old crappy factory welds and weld it up myself. This was particularly agrivating when the whole time I could see the "Made in USA" stamp. Argh!
Old 07-06-2016, 10:51 PM   #12
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalaroundstone View Post
One last note about replacing the center bearing bracket. As I said, I got this bracket, complete with new rubber for less than $5.00 from Orielly. It had "Made in USA" stamped on it, so I figured it was made well. As such, I ignored the advice from other posts to reinforce the welds on it. Well, the center bearing bracket made it about 2 miles before the spot welds on it started to fail. Another 2 miles and my driveshaft would have been flailing around completely unsupported. Consequently, I had to take the drive shaft out again and drill out the old crappy factory welds and weld it up myself. This was particularly agrivating when the whole time I could see the "Made in USA" stamp. Argh!
at one time there was an island off Japan called USA; years before China ever got in the game
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 03:01 AM   #13
jtrichard

That style of center carrier bearing as always been crap That is why a lot of guys switch over to the Horseshoe style bearing
jtrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:21 AM   #14
60chevyjim

they make a aftermarket cast aluminum one with a urethane insert instead of rubber .
they are around a hundred bucks and come with the bearing .
I like to use them as they are pretty much bulletproof .
I put them in all the 59 and 60 impalas that I build .
there great for stick shift cars and trucks if you like to drive your stuff hard .
I have had the cheap factory kind lay over on there side from dumping the clutch and shreding the cheap hollow factory type rubber insert also ..
60chevyjim is offline   Reply With Quote