The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Our Stuff... In Scale

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2015, 07:50 AM   #1
special-K
Special Order

Re: Pic Thread: Customized Hot Wheels,etc

Thanks for the details. So, basically, this is making tampos? Meaning, the same or similar technique is what Mattel,etc. do using production methods? I only know the term "tampo" yet never knew where the term originated.

My thing has been with making trucks look more regular, meaning more like what one of us may drive...more believable than fantasy or show. No chrome seats,inside bed,front panel of bed,etc. That green '62 I did has a fawn interior to be like stock and the gold one has white to look custom. I did the one grille white to lend to the just a regular truck vibe. I'd like to get into more detail. Hot Wheels don't command that so much, but to repaint a Greenlight or Jada it is. Looks like I would need to buy a lot of equipment I don't have. Custom paint jobs would be a cool option as well.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 04:37 PM   #2
BigMike

Re: Pic Thread: Customized Hot Wheels,etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Thanks for the details. So, basically, this is making tampos?
Tampos are kind of like a rubber stamp that stamps the various ink colors of the design onto the body. The graphics are a series of different parts of the artwork being stamped with specific colors, once all the stamps are complete you see the whole picture...kind of the same theory as silk screen printing tee-shirts. Here is a great tutorial Tampo Machine

The Alps printer uses a cassette type cartridge that contains a thin dry film on them that the printer transfers onto the decal paper as the artwork dictates (like ribbon typewriters). Once the graphics are complete you cut out the decal, put it in warm water and then set it on the body. The decal paper uses a transparent film that the artwork is printed on that releases from the back of the paper when introduced to warm water. Here is a video I found on YouTube that shows the Alps printer doing it's thing. Alps printer.

I hope you made sense of my ramblings, not the best at transferring the information from my head to paper. I understand what the look you're trying to get with you're customs. I was making a set of upper and lower trim for the 69-72's but got busy and never finished it. Also started on the 67-68 trim as well, but got sidetracked again. Maybe one day I'll get it finished.
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote