The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-28-2008, 12:15 PM   #1
glimmertwin01

Re: You Chose a Blazer/Jimmy - WHY?

NICE
I always wanted one ever since I first remember seeing one..the bug hit me in the 70s when i was a wee Lad... there were 2 in my town a blue 71 and a dark green 72.. closest I could get to owning one was a AMT Boondocker model I did exactly like the blue one...

any how fast forward 30 yrs... I bought a 67 K20 and well its going no where, I always loved the body style. I am single and NO kids... (arent you all jeaolus?) and ever since I saw the first ones back in the day I always wanted one. I had a toss up going..I always thought this vintage truck as a panel 4x4 would be unique, but after getting the 67 and it just began to be a pain to find some stuff for and the cab was solid but rumpled bad.... I live in WNY in the rust belt... Old 69-72 K/5 are almost non existent.

In august I was browsing Craigslist for a parts donor and stubled into the 70 k/5 i called the dude since i figured it had to be junk.... and he might be wiling to drop in price to get it out of his dad s property.... I was just looking for parts.
I went and saw it OK i do live in the rot capital of the world but this thing was solid..... typical Blazer rot and no rocker boxes (they were torched off at some point). the original motor was not there but it had been converted from a 307 3 on the tree to a 350 2v with a rebuilt turbo 350 with a NP208.....

Long and short I bought it anyways... ive been taking it apart and the guy who owned it before the PO really had the right idea fixing stuff on it but i dont think he had the funds or the resto panels werent available... Im trying to put it back the way its supposed to be, except I am going to put in a nice 350 4v 4 bolt i acquired from a 72 c30. and im going for the SM 465 NP 205.... since this will be my first "im doing as much as I can by myself" project . I am going to shootit "hide all" white. I have a nice hard top but most likely it will not go back on it... after seeing the old school half tops I WANT ONE!!!! anyhow here is a picture of the green manalishi.... wish me luck and a small but bottomless bank account
Oh I forgot how cool they are a REAL truck made of real steel and a convertible!
Now i have to figure out how to insert a picture form my lap top
74 K/5
74 K20 Custom Deluxe
86 K10 Shorty
92 K2500 Burb
95 K2500 GMC

Life is what you make it Live each day like it was your last
Old GM Trucks never go out of style
glimmertwin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 04:55 PM   #2
BIGBLU 72

Family Tradition made me want one! my father had a 72 CST blazer when i was real little and kicked himself for selling it til he past away,so when a 72 jimmy came up for sell i just had to have it! it was my first car and i spent 3 years getting it ready to drive to school for my senior year of high school! girls dig big topless truck thats all i can say
BIGBLU 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:57 PM   #3
glimmertwin01

heheheh
74 K/5
74 K20 Custom Deluxe
86 K10 Shorty
92 K2500 Burb
95 K2500 GMC

Life is what you make it Live each day like it was your last
Old GM Trucks never go out of style
glimmertwin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:21 PM   #4
cparman
sharp as a marble

I have thought that the Blazers looked cool for a long time. When I sold my 67 Chevelle, I was already looking for a 2WD. gave up, and bought my 69 SWB C-10. Just not enought room in my PU , and found my 2wd. A lowered 2WD has a cool factor of 10+. Legroom for an old fat man, and after I made a set of seat risers, it is perfect for me. I am forming a plan as to how I want it to be when finished. I think I bought a great place to start, and intend to drive it alot when finished. I have driven it to work every day this week, top off, stereo on, listening for a new noise and going after it when I get to my shop, or home. This old girl is comming off the frame next year, and I want it to be as nice as my last car
Attached Images

cparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:41 PM   #5
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparman View Post
I have thought that the Blazers looked cool for a long time. When I sold my 67 Chevelle, I was already looking for a 2WD. gave up, and bought my 69 SWB C-10. Just not enought room in my PU , and found my 2wd. A lowered 2WD has a cool factor of 10+. Legroom for an old fat man, and after I made a set of seat risers, it is perfect for me. I am forming a plan as to how I want it to be when finished. I think I bought a great place to start, and intend to drive it alot when finished. I have driven it to work every day this week, top off, stereo on, listening for a new noise and going after it when I get to my shop, or home. This old girl is comming off the frame next year, and I want it to be as nice as my last car
Sorry, I couldn't give up a big block Chevelle for any blazer, I want to figure a way to have them both

What horsepower was the big block? That thing is really cherry. We couldn't get traction in HS unless you put an L series tire on it with ladder bars. Just smoked the Tiger Paws

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 12-04-2008 at 07:45 PM.
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 03:50 PM   #6
70k52wd
Blaze-Air

My love for the 67-72 started when I was a kid. WAAAY back in the late 60's I saw a black 67 or 68 short stepside p/u and thought that was a cool truck. I always wanted to do one with chrome stacks coming up behind the cab, flames, Big cragars in the back, skinnys up front...Then I found Blazers. I will admit to owning several Bronco's of the same era before I got my first Blazer in '85. But I have not strayed since...What I'm trying to say is...Full top off, no window frames, Classic lines, endless possibilities to customize. I feel very fortunate to have the one I have now. They are truly VERY special trucks, and only a hand full of us know the Blazer experience
70k52wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:07 PM   #7
cparman
sharp as a marble

Oh, and Jaro, my wife said I drove it like I was stupid? WELL HELLO ! Yes it would spin the wheels at any speed. I was on the way to my shop one day and one of my customers waved. I took that as an ok to mat it. 45 MPH spinng the tires and sliding sideways. My wife was with me another time and I did that. She said STOP the D&*( car and let me out or stop doing that---- --- --- I stoped doing that.
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:53 AM   #8
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparman View Post
Oh, and Jaro, my wife said I drove it like I was stupid? WELL HELLO ! Yes it would spin the wheels at any speed. I was on the way to my shop one day and one of my customers waved. I took that as an ok to mat it. 45 MPH spinng the tires and sliding sideways. My wife was with me another time and I did that. She said STOP the D&*( car and let me out or stop doing that---- --- --- I stoped doing that.
Hello, what else is HP for...gotta admit, banging gears at WOT will get your attention

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:34 AM   #9
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

More?
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:18 PM   #10
mudman316

Had a 70 when i was 17 and wish i had not gotten rid of it eversince. now i got to go get one i just bought. can't wait. yeeee haaaaaaaaa
mudman316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:24 PM   #11
jasons
not enough hours in the day

The first vehicle I bought when I was 16 in 1988 was a 68 Chevy pickup soon followed by a 70 Chevy pickup. Soon after I saw a 72 Blazer at a car show and knew that I would have to have one. I didn't even realize at the time that the top was removable.

After college I started looking and everyone I found was either rusted/beat up too much or was overpriced, at least in my opinion at the time. Five or six years ago I found a 70 Blazer on a used lot that was in decent condition once you looked past everything that had been cobbled together that was easy to change. I traded a 69 Ford 4x4 that I had about $200 into along with $1000 cash and have been loving it ever since.

I'm in the process of collecting parts to restore it in the next year or two.

Here is a picture I took last week while putting it and my helper to work.

jasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:01 PM   #12
Twisted78SS
Wide n'Low

Like so many others, it started along time ago. For me, it was back in my high school days of the late 70's I was running around in a 70 SS Camaro while a friend had a 70 Blazer. Always loved that thing, and have been on the hunt for one on and off several times. Now that I have a clear cut idea of what I want one to be, its on the road to becoming a reality. Project50th
Twisted78SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:16 PM   #13
Otsa580
I Love Rusty Chevys

When I was growing up my dad would have 3-4 Chevy/GMC trucks or Blazers at a time. He would sink money into them then lose his butt when he sold or traded them for his next new toy. (He was not mechanically inclined just like me and pay the mechanic) I always loved the 69-72 Blazers and Trucks that he had. I think they were his favorites as well.

He bought a 69 blazer when I was in high school and I had to have it. I think I paid something like 400 dollars for it and some trading. I think he paid close to 5k in 1999 or so. Now my blazer sits at my moms house waiting for me to buy it a house to park it in. I live 4 hrs away.

I'm 6'4" and have a heck of a time getting comfortable in a 67-72 pickup. My knees tend to hit the dash. I have tons of room driving a Blazer!

Last edited by Otsa580; 02-19-2009 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Add
Otsa580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:18 AM   #14
draggin37

Growing up i used to sleep on the rubber floor matt in front of the rear seat of my dads 72 K5 4x daily driver. He bought it in 78 (3 years before i was born) and drove it day in and day out till he bought a '01 Tahoe in 2002. Maybe it was the fact that he could no longer get in through the drivers door. Blazers just stuck with me, their sound, their smell, not to mention there one of the best lookin chev trucks around! Oh yeah..i now have that same blazer in the back yard.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:31 PM   #15
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Cool story behind your Blazer Erik!
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:01 PM   #16
Erik V

picking up the now ex g/f to go to the HS formals.

learning how to hold onto the rollbar while sitting on the cold wheel well and trying to kick my sister who was doing the same thing right across from me (from about 6-10 years old)

driving it to Camp Meriwether for Summercamp staffing one summer, Sand Lake duning on the weekends (note the passenger side door caved in on my top pic).

One of my alltime favorites, pouring stale drinks through the hole in the floor where the twin stick levers used to come up (at some point Dad had that setup in there). If the passenger was bored, you could watch the road through the 3"X3" ish hole cut just next to the tunnel on the passenger side.

Oh, another fav: driving it in freezing rain/snow for the first time. Its locked up front, and factory posi out back. We put cable chains on the front, and Dad said take corners slow. At around 20mph mid corner the back end started coming around, I turned into the skid, and with NO engine rpm change at all, I was going back the way I came with no speed loss. Did it twice that day. I much prefer my Subaru's AWD system in the nasty stuff, something about the locker front kinda kicking one's @#*! in the icey stuff.

OK, last one: my mom met my dad when he was racing the Jimmy. He tricked her into racing it when they were dating. One of the obstacle courses she tagged a tree with the passenger side mirror, didnt dent the Sport housing, but shattered the glass. That was around 1975. It stayed that way until I got the truck, and I had a glass shop make a new mirror for it. The week after the glue had cured and the masking tape was pulled off, I hit a mailbox on the way to Prom with my parents right behind me. Now when I say I hit a mailbox, what I mean is that the box hung over the road, I was reaching down for a cassette off the floor, I didnt even leave the pavement but the mailbox exploded and pieces went flying. Point of all this: the mirror then looked almost identical to how it did back in the mid 70's=outer edges of broken glass, the Sport housing still fully intact and unharmed.

OK, sorry gang, I'll stop coming up with more stories.

The original reason for getting the Jimmy was because I wanted a cool car to drive to HS. Why not have one that can haul 4 people, pull anything, drive any season in any weather and do well at it. This time around I'm trying to find most of those same reasons, plus a couple dogs, the girlfriend and her 3 year old, and get me back into an old car for summer car shows. Why not also utilize the convertable'ness that is gen1 and early gen2 Blazer/Jimmy?

Erik

Last edited by Erik V; 10-22-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Erik V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:04 PM   #17
Rochlow

I was really into the mini truck scene in the late 80s and early 90s. Back when it was popular to make them convertibles. Wanted one every since, but never had the guts to cut the roof on one.

Now with two kids and a wife I need more room and still wanted the removable roof.. Best of both worlds.. Now I just have finish it and drive it..
Rochlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:55 AM   #18
vtblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochlow View Post
I was really into the mini truck scene in the late 80s and early 90s. Back when it was popular to make them convertibles. Wanted one every since, but never had the guts to cut the roof on one.

Now with two kids and a wife I need more room and still wanted the removable roof.. Best of both worlds.. Now I just have finish it and drive it..

So, how is the rad ride comin' along anyway?
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:53 PM   #19
Rochlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtblazer View Post
So, how is the rad ride comin' along anyway?
It's coming along slowly.. fit the doors, got the radiator support put on, test fit the fenders.. Next month I want to make a run at it to see how much I can get done..
Rochlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:32 AM   #20
BOHICA

Bump!
BOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:40 PM   #21
wildearp

I always wanted one for the fully removeable top. I had everything go wrong with the build that you could imagine. Eventually I got it together and sold it after driving it a year. It lost its appeal after all the headache.

I built a 70 4x4 with a 4" lift, front disc brake conversion, 40 gallon tank, sidewinder winch, full inside Linex, 472" BBC.
wildearp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:57 AM   #22
4oldcars

Leg room that you just can't get in a pick up. (67-72's)

Driving:
1971 Jimmy w/68 Chev front clip, 1953 Bel Air 2 dr hdtp, 1996 Roadmaster wagon, 2000 Eldorado

The ones I let go:
1931 2 dr sedan, 1935 pick up, 1938 2 dr sedan, 1962 SS 454, 1963 409 wagon, 1970 short bed, 1972 short bed, 1972 sub, 1976 short bed, 1986 long bed, 03 short bed
4oldcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:03 AM   #23
NuBomb

I'd never seen or paid attention to a first gen blazer before I saw the one I bought. It belonged to my wife's uncle. During a Holiday meal I told him that if ever wanted to sell it to let me know. A year or so later he offered it to me. I over paid a little, but I have owned it for more than 10 years. I've never owned a vehicle that long, and I don't plan on getting rid of it any time soon.

North Georgia Group

"... And the first rule to being a man is you gotta spend your life doing crap you don't wanna do." Red Forman.
NuBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:13 PM   #24
72clifblazer

Started as Dodge fan dad had Fords so no way it was the 70s. than found rust was A BIG PROBLEM with the Dodges so what do you do get a Camaro 80tys model rattle trap got a deal on it so sold it and found a Monte drove it hard ended up totaling it out found a beat up Chevlle and put most of the parts in it sold it and got 67-72 than another one and a 4x4 lwb than we were hanging around creeks down south mo seen a lot of short 4x4 said to my self got to get a blazer so I would stop banging off trees took top off and was HOOKED
Attached Images

72clifblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:31 PM   #25
Senorx

Our neighbor had an orange with white top 72 K5 Blazer. He is the original owner. I fell in love with it at a very young age and wanted one since. It was back in the early 80s. I just love the lines of 69-72 First Gen K5s. I went back home for the holidays and the K5 is still in the neighbor's drive way. Next time ill take some pics. She is well taken care of and holding up well. His daughter wanted the K5 and he refused to sell it. LOL. She went out and bought a 71 K5 of her own.
Senorx is offline   Reply With Quote