The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Vendor Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2003, 11:03 AM   #1
VTKidder

Chevy Duty and GSPP??

Anyone had dealings with either Chevy Duty or Golden State Pickup Parts before? I've dealt with C.D. on buying replacement panels like rockers and what not, and was very pleased, but after reading the hate-fest on LMC, I'm wondering how these two companies fare in terms of real world use parts like regulators, trim, carpet, emblems, etc. I know Early Classics and Brothers are very good quality, but just looking for other sources. Thanks all....

VTKidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 03:51 PM   #2
CPNE
Resident Curmudgeon

No problems with CD, no dealings with GSPP to judge by. However, if you want alternative sources, try a few of the vendors that are actually members of this board. They all use the same sources and most do not stock 100% of their inventory(simply take orders on some items and have the parts drop shipped), but they actually build these trucks and know what parts fit and which do not. Good advise is a plus. You may spend a little more up front but if it fits, you aren't held up returning the stuff that don't.

Plus being a member of this board could possibly make them more responsive to problems being closer to the "bottom of the food chain" than a mega-parts warehouse.

I would suggest in no particular order:

GMC Pauls in IN
Atheys Truck Parts in VA
Classic Heartbeat in WA
Tim Christian in TN
Mothertruckers in FL

67 Chevy SWB 2WD stepside 350/3 on tree (Pat's)
67 GMC SWB 2WD Fleet 402/auto (Brian's under construction)
67 Chevy 3/4 ton 2WD 402/auto (Business Hauler)
67 Chevy 1 ton dually 2WD 396/4 speed (Former business hauler, Needs TLC)
68 Chevy 1/2 ton Suburban 2WD 250 six/3 on tree (Brian's Needs TLC)
70 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD 350/4 speed (Pat's - Disguised as a 68 GMC)
71 Chevy SWB stepside (Crushed by tree - parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD (Parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD Suburban (Parts Donor)
72 GMC 3/4 ton 4WD 292 six/4 speed (Mine - Disguised as a 67 GMC)
81 GMC 4WD Dually Dump Body 350/4 speed (Business Hauler)
82 Camaro Z/28 355/Super T-10 (Pat's toy)
93 Caprice 9C1 (Brian's Cop Car)
02 Toyota Camry (Reliable but a souless steel and plastic hulk)
2011 2SS RS Camaro M6 Factory Hurst Shifter

Maybe I need to sell some of this crap

Yet another Bozo with a sawz-all
CPNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 03:21 AM   #3
Mudder

I bought tons of stuff from LMC back in the early 90's and late 80's because it was the only source I knew of for these parts. One day I saw an ad for Chevy Duty in a Hemmings. It showed wood floor kits and I was looking for one at the time. Go compare prices. Chevy Duty was a lot cheaper, so I began comparing the two. LMC is a little better for knowing just what you are buying by using their diagrams and Chevy Duty is usually cheaper. Since getting a computer and coming here I have bought from three different vendors from the board. I will say this, I believe alot of the replacement parts are parts that are made by the same companies that are sold by all the vendors. I like to get parts from the small guys when they are handy.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 02:40 PM   #4
1967K10

I have bought a fair amount through Chevy Duty, it's just an hours drive away!! My bed kit worked great, I am happy with it. I still have a front and rear bumper, a new dash with tach, and sound proofing and carpet to install yet, though.
1967K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 02:45 AM   #5
78SilveradoSWB

I've dealt with both Chevy Duty and LMC quite often this past year. Both have been OK with me with a few parts showing in their respective catalogs no longer available. ChevyDuty has had a few back ordered situations, waiting as long as 3 weeks before filling it. Didn't charge my account til' it was shipped. Got a wrong part from them. It was their mistake, they paid for shipping part back and returned correct part. Almost didn't pay all shipping cost because I used a Mailbox Etc. I corrected them by telling them it was now a UPS Store, owned by UPS, using their rates and that I could have shipped it FedEx which was cheaper, but their customer service person, no use UPS. They paid me in full. Bought from GSPP once, it was OK, but when I called to order another part that too was no longer available, the customer service rep wasn't too cool or helpful when I asked more questions.

1978 Chevrolet Silverado C 10
454 BB, TH400
78SilveradoSWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 07:51 PM   #6
Pilgrim

Had good luck with both.
Old 06-25-2003, 11:24 AM   #7
MikeB

In the early 90s Golden State was one of the few sources for 67-72 parts. I ordered lots of stuff from them, but whenever I had a problem, their customer service was really bad. I could get in touch with someone, but they rarely did what they said they would. I once returned a "lifetime guarantee" mirror, but it took 6 weeks for them to send me a replacement. Turns out they were filling new orders before warranty replacement orders, so my order stayed at the bottom of the pile. I wrote a letter to their president, who sent my mirror, an apology letter, and a gift certifcate, but their service never got any better. That was 8 years ago, so things may have changed.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 09:02 PM   #8
78SilveradoSWB

Thumbs down

My dealings with Golden State was several months ago, so I guess they haven't changed over the past 8 years.

454 BB, TH400
Old 07-03-2003, 07:06 PM   #9
71custominworks

I pretty much only go with CD exclusively unless it is something that they do not have. Plus they're pretty close so I can order big stuff and just to pick it up and not pay high shipping costs.
71custominworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 10:32 PM   #10
method2mymadnes

I bought an original seat upholstery kit from gspp about 2 years ago. My credit card was charged immediately. After about 3 or 4 months of calling them, they said it was on backorder. I found out that they got the kits from a place in the northeast. I had to call my card company to dispute the charge. It took about 6 months to get my card reimbursed. I ordered the kit directly from where they did, I just cut them out and got it in a few days. Not too good of an experience. On a good note, I also ordered some new interior trim pieces on the same order and got those in a few days. They worked out ok.

87% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
method2mymadnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 07:14 PM   #11
78SilveradoSWB

Question

So, what's the name of the company in the NE that you ordered directly from and did you save any $$ going direct?

454 BB, TH400