The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2021, 12:04 AM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust

Buying paint california vs Nevada.

Is there any difference between car paints sold in california vs paint in Nevada?

I had originally thought of Hotrod flatz, but mixed reviews have made me think. My experience level is not up to a product which has mixed reviews. Rather they are true or not.

Or should I consider some sort of industrial coating that has a decent color like desert tan. Even generic old white will be perfectly fine, but not choice #1.

The Willy's body is not going to be good enough for some high level paint job. Combined with the fact I intend to, and will drive it through scrub brush. I would like it to look presentable. Good from 10 foot is good enough.

Thoughs ideas...
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:56 AM   #2
nsb29

Re: Buying paint california vs Nevada.

Bead liner you can get it in almost any color California legal hides an imperfect body and you can drive it through all the brush you want I’m seeing it used on trucks a lot looks good
Old 01-07-2021, 11:30 AM   #3
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb29 View Post
Bead liner you can get it in almost any color California legal hides an imperfect body and you can drive it through all the brush you want I’m seeing it used on trucks a lot looks good
I have seen it, and I don't get it really. It looks good in some cases, but mall crawler in a way to me. I do like it on beater Jeeps that really wheel or crawling buggies.

Plus I want my Willy's to look as retro as I can. Considering it will be on a F150 ttb frame, lifted, modified body, and on near 35" tires. I am trying to decide if 17" smoothie rims or slot mags will be the way I go. I am kind of leaning towards a smoothie rim due to the slightly extra weight it has. To help keep some weight lower in the Willy's as it is going to be fairly top heavy no matter what.
Old 01-07-2021, 01:39 PM   #4
NorCalGal

Flat paint is difficult, it tends to get tiger stripes if not put on very evenly. SPI sells a black paint and a matte clear of great quality and price.
Old 01-07-2021, 04:21 PM   #5
projectking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
Is there any difference between car paints sold in california vs paint in Nevada?

I had originally thought of Hotrod flatz, but mixed reviews have made me think. My experience level is not up to a product which has mixed reviews. Rather they are true or not.

Or should I consider some sort of industrial coating that has a decent color like desert tan. Even generic old white will be perfectly fine, but not choice #1.

The Willy's body is not going to be good enough for some high level paint job. Combined with the fact I intend to, and will drive it through scrub brush. I would like it to look presentable. Good from 10 foot is good enough.

Thoughs ideas...
See my reply on your other post
90 Mustang Notchback
projectking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 07:01 PM   #6
projectking

Quote:

Thoughs ideas...
90 Mustang Notchback
Old 01-07-2021, 08:26 PM   #7
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectking View Post
Is it really better or is it forbidden fruit?

So it has to be better?
Old 01-07-2021, 09:24 PM   #8
projectking

Quote:
Is it really better or is it forbidden fruit?

So it has to be better?
What’s better for me isn’t the case...matte or flattened single stage can be tricky unless you’re a competent painter, without proper gun settings/overlap etc. it is WAY easier to tiger stripe...I have a ‘69 here with matte black on it for a re spray that a novice painted and it’s striped very badly. I’m blocking and applying matte SS for him.
90 Mustang Notchback
Old 01-08-2021, 12:33 AM   #9
Ziegelsteinfaust

So you would use a base coat clear coat system?

What brand of paint, and or type of paint do you feel is the best type for durability.

My main concern is just plane durability. Hotrod Flatz is a product that has a look I am interested in. I am not married to it.
Old 01-08-2021, 07:20 AM   #10
projectking

SPI Euro 2020 and pick a color from a reputable line...is Cali all waterborne?
90 Mustang Notchback
Old 01-08-2021, 12:05 PM   #11
Ziegelsteinfaust

I think it is as I know alot of voc stuff is not available at home depot anymore.

I don't have a auto paint place near my house or anywhere I go really. So I have not investigated more then the internet.

Stuff I found on the internet says Nevada has the older better stuff so really that is all I know at this point.

Right now the ex wife and her family are in quarantine. So I have my 10 year old son for another week. Or almostb5 weeks total. So it is slowing down trips like that as I am concentrating on him being entertained with activities. Since so much is shut down he has gained weight, and I want some of it worked off. Plus due to my knee issues I need, and the Vid. I need to keep from getting bigger at this point too.