The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork > Detailing

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2011, 06:29 PM   #1
jessewebb

Aluminum Restoration

Hi, Does anyone know who does aluminum restoration. I have a 69 C/10. It has a decent grill just needs brought back to a shine. Would it be cheaper to buy a aftermarket or have it restored. If so Who does it? Thanks Pete

69 SWB work in progress
97 Ranger 6in. lift on 35's
04 325i lady's ride
jessewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:49 AM   #2
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Re: Aluminum Restoration

bttt...

There was a FAQ where someone brought a grille back to life, but I can't seem to locate it at the moment. Anyone else?

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:12 PM   #3
Indian113

If it was me I would steel wool the grill then Polish it with a Mothers Power Ball and polish. If steel wool doesn't take the glaze off use emery cloth first. I polish a lot of Alumium on Harleys this way.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:13 AM   #4
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Grill finish is usually sealed with some form of an iodized finish. However, if you truly want to clean it, then I would use a steel wool, as suggested, but then I would follow with a 2500 grit wet-N-dry sandpaper, using WD-40 as a lubricant to keep the paper from loading up. After that I would use Mothers Aluminum polish to start and then finish with the Mothers Billet Pollish for a mirror finish.

If it is hard cleaning, then look on the web for what is called "Razor Buffs" and get some of them to use on a die grinder and get some green and white rouge polishing sticks from your local truck stop. They use it to clean the semi truck tanks and wheels. The razor buff will clean the metal and you do not have to put any real pressure on it to do the work. Follow up with a small amount of billet pollish to clean and then seal the metal with a metal sealer, like Wizards sells. That will keep the water spots off of it.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:01 PM   #5
dammitmitchell
the pollock

got a picture
i did a how to last year on "polishing metal stuff"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=3373377

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=343538
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=386042
dammitmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:12 PM   #6
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammitmitchell View Post
i did a how to last year on "polishing metal stuff"

How about going back into that "How-Too" and putting the pics back in, Use the site gallery so they don't disappear again.....
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:08 PM   #7
dammitmitchell
the pollock

yeah bummer.. hahaha
gonna take a minute gotta find all the dang pictures again.. SORRY!

Old 04-15-2011, 06:47 PM   #8
Torrey72
Rollin in my K5 toaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
Grill finish is usually sealed with some form of an iodized finish. However, if you truly want to clean it, then I would use a steel wool, as suggested, but then I would follow with a 2500 grit wet-N-dry sandpaper, using WD-40 as a lubricant to keep the paper from loading up. After that I would use Mothers Aluminum polish to start and then finish with the Mothers Billet Pollish for a mirror finish.

If it is hard cleaning, then look on the web for what is called "Razor Buffs" and get some of them to use on a die grinder and get some green and white rouge polishing sticks from your local truck stop. They use it to clean the semi truck tanks and wheels. The razor buff will clean the metal and you do not have to put any real pressure on it to do the work. Follow up with a small amount of billet pollish to clean and then seal the metal with a metal sealer, like Wizards sells. That will keep the water spots off of it.

Grilles are aluminum as you know and what gives them that polished shine from the factory is “Anodizing.” Once this starts to get scratched up or rubbed off there is not much you can do to save it. I agree with everything “pieces parts” suggests other then there is a way easier way to strip the anodizing off. You can use oven cleaner to strip it down to the aluminum base. It beats rubbing your fingers raw as you spend forever rubbing it down with steel wool. It easily gets all the nooks and crannies. Just spray it on, enjoy a beer, then rinse the grille with water. Done.
Once you strip off the perma-shine you can polish it up better then factory. However, the part will tarnish over time and need to be re polished in the future. A mother’s Power Ball works well for polishing. Just take your time with it.

P.S. Don’t dare get the oven cleaner on anything other then the part you are stripping.
Torrey72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:38 PM   #9
Jay W

I'm thinking of cleaning up mine too but there are allot of pits from road debri. I'm a little concerned about sanding them out as I think the metal isn't very thick on a grill, haven't looked at it to closely just bought the truck and am working on the ralleys first. do you guys think I could sand out most of the pits out with 220 or 400 and move up to a finer paper or should I just remove the anodizing and polish? Also is there a specific type of sand paper to use on aluminum?
Old 04-27-2011, 07:13 PM   #10
dammitmitchell
the pollock

ok guys.. im redoing the images right now.
im sorry about the last write up. using the site upload now.

I did today's example on stainless steel rally dress rings.. did not come out perfect but came out good. NOT nearly as good as the tungsten did.. aluminum can come out really well.. just make sure you use aluminum sealer. clear cote will eventually crack and flake off..

Old 04-27-2011, 10:59 PM   #11
Stitch
Account Suspended

suppposedly my polished coys have clear coat over them, but they polish up ok just ok...so do you think they have clear on them...I'd like to get a better shine on them
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:13 AM   #12
dammitmitchell
the pollock

Have u tried a mothers polishing ball first try a scratch/ rubbing compound then wash the ball really well dry it and use a finisher sealer compound.

And in refference to the grill. I have not done a truck grill. I have one out back ill play with this week to do a review on for you. I have done plenty of aluminum rims but no truck grille.
But due to the contours of the grille the high spots will shine alot better. A dremel and power drill will be your best bet. Maby a buffing disc onf a roloc will help too (but keep it on a low speed so u dont burn the metal/
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 04-28-2011, 11:10 PM   #13
Stitch
Account Suspended

I used a power ball on a cordless drill, but I don't think the drill had enough rpms to do anything rewarding...I used mother's power metal polish with the power ball...I also used never dull and mother's aluminum paste in the can by hand...

should I use a corded drill...and what kind of polish exactly should I use with the power ball...the power metal polish is liquid and seems to get used fast for some reason

Last edited by Stitch; 04-28-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:58 AM   #14
rcrahn

As someone else said the piece is polished aluminum which is then anodized clear to protect the finish. If you strip off the anodizing and polish it eventually it will oxidize and dull.
So, the best thing is to buy a new piece or send your trim pieces to be stripped, polished and re-anodized. The company that does this is located in S. CA, called King of Trim. I used them to do 4 wheel well moldings on a 1969Firebird. Top notch work but expensive.
Check it out....
http://www.kingoftrim.com/home.html
rcrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:48 PM   #15
Torrey72
Rollin in my K5 toaster

You can Google search chrome, anodizing shops in your area. Though sometimes buying new trim is cheaper

Last edited by Torrey72; 05-02-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Torrey72 is offline   Reply With Quote