The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #1
vweater2001

Angry 69 Seat Adjuster Handle

My seat keeps jumping off the track and when I go to slow down keeps sliding forward this is starting to piss me off! Can someone tell me how to fix this? I know that the slider part on the passenger side isn't there and the seat just jumps on the passenger side...it won't slide fwd but it will just jump up and down. I can see the cable but not hooked up to anything, can someone show me how this is supposed to be installed or I swear just for principle I'll rip this out and burn it just for giggles!!

1969 GMC C1500 Stepside Shortbed - daily driver

Mando
vweater2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
vweater2001

Re: 69 Seat Adjuster Handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by vweater2001 View Post
My seat keeps jumping off the track and when I go to slow down keeps sliding forward this is starting to piss me off! Can someone tell me how to fix this? I know that the slider part on the passenger side isn't there and the seat just jumps on the passenger side...it won't slide fwd but it will just jump up and down. I can see the cable but not hooked up to anything, can someone show me how this is supposed to be installed or I swear just for principle I'll rip this out and burn it just for giggles!!
Come on guys someone has to know how to fix the sit situation? cable underneath the seat seams like it is coming off the passenger side, how is this supposed to be held in place? Anyone have pictures of the underside of how the mechanism should work or explain it?

Thanks for your help in advance!!

Mando
Old 12-12-2013, 12:22 AM   #3
ray_mcavoy

The handle/lever on the driver side is connected directly to the latch mechanism that holds/releases the driver side sliding track. There should be a fairly heavy spring that holds the handle/lever (and therefore the latch mechanism) in place until you move the handle to release it.

The passenger side should have a similar latch mechanism that holds/releases the sliding track on that side. The cable connects it to the driver side so both sides should release/latch together.

But even if the cable is missing and the passenger side mechanism is messed up, the driver side should still hold. Does the release handle feel like there's quite a bit of spring resistance behind it when you move it? If not, that spring that's supposed to hold it in the latched position might be broken or missing. Or if the release lever is stiff to move, it might be sticking and not going all the way back to the latched position ... might just need some lubrication on the pivot points.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:48 AM   #4
vweater2001

No tention at all on the drivers side, passenger side has no handle and driver side stays put until it starts creeping fwd on its own while I'm driving. I have to constantly check it to make sure it stays put so I won't slide fwd. okay with that said sounds like I'm missing the driver side spring, and lever on passenger side anyone got spares they want to get rid of?

Mando
Old 10-24-2014, 08:15 AM   #5
snipescastle2

Talking Re: 69 Seat Adjuster Handle

the 1970 seat I have has a metal rod that attaches both sides and has an "S" clip or hook that attaches to the seat frame that keeps it in place. and I agree, that spring has quite a bit of pull on it. hope that helps.
Ben
snipescastle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:03 AM   #6
leftybass209

It's a pretty simple design and would be a lot easier to work on if you pull the seat off the brackets, or pull the whole thing out. Clean it really good, then lube it with your preferred lubrication material ( i use graphite on anything near cloth or vinyl) make sure the hinged tooth for lack of a better word, always lowers completely down. I know the set ups are different, but i have both. The one on my 88+ seat had a weak spring and did exactly what you described. Hopefully that helps. It may also help to get a passenger to slowly slide around as you look under there and figure it out.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 09:22 PM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Here are a couple of threads I posted some pictures in....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418802

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=287988

Some of the pictures in the second thread are the same as the first thread.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote