The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-02-2023, 08:45 AM   #1
blazer2007

should I use air compressor w/o engine running ?

Just wondering if is ok or too hard on the compressor to pump up air bags w/o running the engine.
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 11:16 AM   #2
youngrodder

Re: should I use air compressor w/o engine running ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer2007 View Post
Just wondering if is ok or too hard on the compressor to pump up air bags w/o running the engine.
It is really harder on your battery than your compressor.(s) It all depends tho on how many compressors are you running. What is the tank size you are trying to fill. These determine how long the compressor(s) will be running off your battery. I normally I try not to fill mine often with the engine off.

Marc

1948 Chevy Truck - Finished SOLD!!

1953 Chevy Suburban "Family Truckster" Completed: Spring of 2021
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=605484

1994 4x4 Blazer - "Field Find"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ferrerid=30857
youngrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 08:40 AM   #3
blazer2007

I just have 1 comp. and 1 med. size tank. Just I read somewhere last winter that the compressors like full running battery power or can damage the comp. I was just worried cause I run the compressor on mine without the engine running sometimes as I have a leak on the fr. bag fitting. Thanks
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 09:13 AM   #4
SCOTI

Electric motors wear faster @ slower speeds in general so the battery or supply power source needs to @ 100% for best life expectancy.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 05:16 PM   #5
mr48chev

It shouldn't have any effect on the compressor at all. Not any damaging effect, If you are playing the look at my truck go up and down with the airbags at a show or just doing show and tell it will put a pretty good on the battery without the engine running and charging. If you don't have a dedicated and isolated when not running battery for the compressor it is going to drain the battery just as if you sat there for a few hours blasting an annoying sound system at a show. Most of us have seen that guy who either played with his air bags, played his sound system or other toys and drained the battery down to the point where the car/truck wouldn't start when it was time to leave.

Truth be known, once the new wears off and you don't feel the need to play show and tell anymore it will be a non issue. You fire it up, air it up to set your down the road ride height and stance and off you go the only time you touch it from then is if you need ground clearance or if you drop it to the low cruise setting for a bit of cruising. Then when you get where you are going you set your "parked stance", and done.

I've often thought that laid out, air tank drained and main compressor fuse in your pocket is a good security setup for parking it when you are going to be away from it for a length of time like in a Motel parking lot. Another trick or two would probably defete a very low profile repo wheel lift.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 08:48 AM   #6
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Why wouldn't a guy, who uses that much battery power, run an isolator and a second battery? Running your "only" battery, knowing that it is what makes the vehicle start, seems at least a little short-sighted.
This was a common practice decades ago for guys who had winches and snow plows. Just because the power drawing device might have changed doesn't mean the solution has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote