The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > S10 S15 Luv Blazer

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-03-2012, 08:45 PM   #1
darush01

Help!!!! 2000 gmc jimmy

I have a 2000 gmc jimmy 2dr 2wd it wont run it ran for a while but would sputter now it wont even start ive put several fuel pumps on it because they seem to quit pumping after a while, and with each pump i replaced the filter and ive replaced the ignition switch and crank sensor but its still not starting any ideas?
Posted via Mobile Device
darush01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:50 PM   #2
midniteblues

Re: Help!!!! 2000 gmc jimmy

there is a couple things you can check i dont know if you did or not but one is the fuel pressure port if you push it in it should squirt fuel pretty good be sure to use a rag to catch it.if it does
check to see if your getting spark you could have a beat dis. cap
sometimes the spider valves get clogged or cracked in the intake
can you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key?

does it have any trouble codes?
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
GMCJOE

Definitely check for spark. Have you replaced your fuel filter? It could be plugged up. You can also check to see if your fuel pressure regulator has went bad. Very common problem with these trucks. Sometimes they fail completely, or times they don't and you have extended cranking. Usually you can test this theory buy cycling the ignition ( don't start it) 5 times or more, then crank it and see if it starts. This builds pressure up. Or put a fuel press gauge on and see what kind of pressure it is putting out. If the fuel pressure regulator has failed, it could just be sending the fuel back to the tank thru the return line. So, you could also pull the return line of the regulator to see if fuel is being pushed from the tank by the pump.

Mine has a fuel pressure regulator issue right now, I do the cycling of the ignition and it starts right up.

Let us know if you changed your fuel filter. Check the spark, and fuel pressure regulator and get back with us. Also, can you here the fuel pump running in the tank?

1969 GMC SWB-350 SBC 700R4
2013 Ram 2500 CC Laramie Longhorn Edition-6.7 PPEI EFI Live CSP5 5” ProFlo Exhaust
GMCJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
darush01

I checked the pressure port i didnt get anything but the guy at the shop i took it too says it has good pressure, ive changed the filter 2 times and im not sure where the regulator is ive never messed with one this new
Posted via Mobile Device
darush01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
GMCJOE

You can look up the part to get an idea of what it is. But it should be to the left side of the intake towards the rear of the block. So, take the intake of the throttle body and you should see it. Another easy way to locate it is, follow your fuel line from the back of the block up to it. They will run up the back of your transmission to the fuel pressure regulator. I am not saying that is your problem, but it is a good chance if you are getting spark and the fuel pump in the tank is actually working.

A lot of shop's will test the fuel pressure with the key on, but fail to check the cranking fuel pressure.

And I assume you are talking about the port on the fuel injection rail when you say pressure port, am I correct?

Before I get to in dept with you on this, I want you to tell me a few things.
Are you getting spark(pull a wire and hold the boot close to the plug and crank it)? Can you hear the fuel pump running? If you cycle the key 10 time from off to ignition power(do not crank), does it attempt to start and run?

If you don't hear your fuel pump running, check the fuse and relay for it to make sure they are good. If they are good, you may have a wire disconnect from installing the tank.

As long as you have spark, we can eliminate the ignition side of the problem and move on to trouble shooting your fuel system. Cause 1 you need spark, 2 you need fuel, and 3 you have to have air to run. Which I am pretty sure you are getting the last.

2013 Ram 2500 CC Laramie Longhorn Edition-6.7 PPEI EFI Live CSP5 5” ProFlo Exhaust
Old 10-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
GMCJOE

You can look up the part to get an idea of what it looks like. But it should be to the left side of the intake towards the rear of the block. So, take the intake of the throttle body and you should see it. Another easy way to locate it is, follow your fuel line from the back of the block up to it. They will run up the back of your transmission to the fuel pressure regulator. I am not saying that is your problem, but it is a good chance if you are getting spark and the fuel pump in the tank is actually working.

A lot of shop's will test the fuel pressure with the key on, but fail to check the cranking fuel pressure.

And I assume you are talking about the port on the fuel injection rail when you say pressure port, am I correct?

Before I get to in dept with you on this, I want you to tell me a few things.
Are you getting spark(pull a wire and hold the boot close to the plug and crank it)? Can you hear the fuel pump running? If you cycle the key 10 time from off to ignition power(do not crank), does it attempt to start and run?

If you don't hear your fuel pump running, check the fuse and relay for it to make sure they are good. If they are good, you may have a wire disconnect from installing the tank.

As long as you have spark, we can eliminate the ignition side of the problem and move on to trouble shooting your fuel system. Cause 1 you need spark, 2 you need fuel, and 3 you have to have air to run. Which I am pretty sure you are getting the last.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:44 PM   #7
GMCJOE

If you tested for fuel at the shcrader valve, which is located on the main fuel line located in between the fire wall and block. You can't miss the fuel lines. You should have fuel come out with the ignition on and the center valve piece of it depressed. If non is coming out. Then you got a problem with your fuel pump, ie not the wires not plugged in, bad fuse, or relay. Worse case, a bad fuel pump.

This link might give you a little help. It is referencing to trouble shooting a no start possible bad fuel pump when having a spider valve injection system, which I do not know if that's what kind of injection system your vehicle has. Either way you can use this guide and it will work the same.

http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/gm_...ump_test_1.php

GM ran a couple different fuel injection systems around then. If you could tell us which, if would be helpful in the process.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:49 PM   #8
GMCJOE

Sorry about the double post. Internet not liking me overseas right now.

Last edited by GMCJOE; 10-05-2012 at 05:56 PM. Reason: double post