The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2018, 03:41 PM   #1
turpentyne

Rehabilitating a ‘71 C-10 Cheyenne

Got a question but... Before I go throwing a bunch of different posts up, I figured I’d start a thread for this truck as it will be somewhat a rolling restoration.

First couple questions... an odd one maybe: is there another place the alternator could be mounted other that up top on the bracket on the driver’s side exhaust manifold? ( or maybe it’s on the head).

Reason for question: we’re dealing with an engine rebuilder of ... questionable workmanship. We were there to see progress and they were going to start it up for us, before we pointed out several things they had gotten wrong. Another that came to mind later is that there was nothing but a lonely bolt where the alternator and its bracket goes, we didn’t see an alternator in yet. They were talking like wiring was the only thing left to do, and they'd start it up for us if we wanted.

Follow-up question... assuming they don’t have that bracket, anyone got one to offer or sell? I see one on eBay, but hoping not to spend $80-$100 for it.

Also, here's a few pics I had on my phone. It's been sitting on the old family property for the last 15 years. We had to downsize property, so these were a few quick pics taken before towing it to the shop a few months back.
Attached Images

Last edited by turpentyne; 11-14-2018 at 03:56 PM. Reason: typos and photo explanation
turpentyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 03:57 PM   #2
geezer#99

Re: Rehabilitating a ‘71 C-10 Cheyenne

Where’s the pic of your motor?
You don’t need an alternator to start it.
If you still have a short water pump you’ll need to keep the alternator on the drivers side.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 04:02 PM   #3
turpentyne

Dang it! I knew someone was gonna ask to see the motor. Haha! When I took those pics, the whole top end of the engine was gone. Years ago, we were forced to steal the heads for a '73 K.

They're removing the original engine now, and tracking down a replacement.

Yeah - dawned on me after, the battery's all they'd need to start it. Not sure which water pump will go in.

I'll be visiting the shop in a couple weeks, and taking photos (assuming they've got the new engine)
Old 11-14-2018, 04:09 PM   #4
turpentyne

I gotta say, it's been comical dealing with them, when not frustrating.

This is the truck that they agreed to put a 4-bolt in, to replace the 2-bolt (I know, I know, the difference is negligible) They're taking it back out to give me what was agreed to on the paperwork.

My favorite is when I called to ask where things were a couple weeks ago. They went on about how something wasn't right with the gas tank, connections, something. nothing made sense. They couldn't find the right replacement and the tank was a rusty mess.

I went to see, and as I walk up to the truck, I immediately saw the problem. They had pulled out a saddle tank (That truck has two saddle tanks to go with the original tank)

The kid was all of 27 maybe... and had no clue that these old trucks have a tank behind the seat - let alone had the marbles in his head to think "hey, I see three lines going someplace, maybe I better check it, considering what I pulled looks home-made".

hah! I'm not even old... but that made me feel it.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:28 PM   #5
52napco

Post a pic of the glove box sticker...if this is in fact a 71 super it will be the first legit one I've seen.
52napco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:12 PM   #6
turpentyne

Super? Do you mean Cheyenne?

I haven't seen a marking that it is. That's based on my dad saying it's a Cheyenne (his truck). I haven't looked close enough yet.

Heck... he even says it's a Cheyenne "Camper Special" but I'm not so sure. The VIN doesn't show any mention of that.

I'll check when I get back to the shop and see for sure. In fact, my dad claims that the original color is that yellow and white. I bet it's blue - the cab is blue. To which he responded "I painted that"

hmmmm...

Last edited by turpentyne; 11-14-2018 at 07:43 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:24 PM   #7
turpentyne

Plus... through the years, my dad has gotten a little, um, creative with this truck.

He added 1-ton springs in the back at one point. But that needs to be checked over. I'm not sure parts would match up like they should.

Also, it had no power brakes. He says he added power brakes and all brake parts off of a ... oh, I forget now. Some big 70s sedan maybe.

I need to patch a hole in the floorboard above the bell housing. He'd cut a hole and planned to put a manual transmission in it.

He swears it was supposed to be a 4-bolt. He put the 2-bolt main in from some car or another, bored out 60 over (though the shop said it was only 40 over). I don't think that truck ever had anything bigger than a 350 in it.

I think there's a few other things going on, but not sure what yet.

Last edited by turpentyne; 11-14-2018 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:04 PM   #8
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by turpentyne View Post
Super? Do you mean Cheyenne?

I haven't seen a marking that it is. That's based on my dad saying it's a Cheyenne (his truck). I haven't looked close enough yet.

Heck... he even says it's a Cheyenne "Camper Special" but I'm not so sure. The VIN doesn't show any mention of that.

I'll check when I get back to the shop and see for sure. In fact, my dad claims that the original color is that yellow and white. I bet it's blue - the cab is blue. To which he responded "I painted that"

hmmmm...
It has all the tell-tale trim of a Cheyenne Super (which is a step above the Cheyenne trim level in the food chain). If it is a Cheyenne Super, it is not a Custom Camper (also) because the Custom Camper nameplate would have superseded the Cheyenne Super emblems (in 71). The VIN won't help - only the SPID or Build Sheet. The SPID is a sheet pasted on the inside of the glovebox door (looks like the picture below). The Build Sheet, if it still exists, is usually trapped between the seat springs and seat bottom. Looking fwd to seeing the SPID when you get a chance. Nice truck!

Ken, this is for you my friend
Attached Images

jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:29 AM   #9
ls1nova71

Not sure why your dad would have painted the inside of the cab blue, but it does kind of look repainted in there and there's no sign of blue paint anywhere on the outside, so maybe he did?

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:46 AM   #10
jocko

I was thinking the same thing - interior looks more painted than the exterior... (is it my imagination or is there yellow fading thru the blue on the driver's door inside??)

Either way (white/light yellow two tone, OR something/blue two tone) would look great with the original parchment houndstooth seat cover. We'll know when we see that SPID...
Excited FOR you turpentyne, this is a neat old truck.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:02 AM   #11
ls1nova71

It does almost look like its faded through to the yellow on the top of the drivers side door where you would put your arm. Guess we'll have to wait and see. I would vote to paint it light yellow and white, I really like that combo, but I'm probably a little biased since I'm currently building one that color.
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2018, 11:43 AM   #12
turpentyne

I agree. In fact, my family's always had yellow and white trucks. At this point, it's the only color that 'feels right.'

It just seems an odd thing to do - painting the cab blue for no reason. hah!

I think the fade you're seeing on the window sill is just lighting and dust - but there could be yellow under there. I'll check on Friday, when I run into the shop to try and get a couple more pics for reference.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:44 PM   #13
68Gold/white

Are you keeping the camper???

Looking forward to more pictures!!!
68Gold/white is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:55 PM   #14
turpentyne

As, uh, tempting as that might be... no. A few years back, the roof caved in a bit after a skylight got damaged. So the camper's worthless.

And... speak of the devil! The shop is trying to make good on their mistakes. Out of the blue, they just texted me proof it's a 4-bolt going in.

I know. Not what y'all were hopin' for, but it's a start!
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2018, 08:04 PM   #15
ls1nova71

Well that has to be the original paint on the firewall, so it was an original light yellow truck!

Old 11-16-2018, 04:12 PM   #16
turpentyne

Ok! Moment of truth!

It is most definitely a Cheyenne Super, and it rolled out of the factory as a white/ light yellow truck with a 350 and heavy rear springs.

And, if that's something people fake a lot, I can guarantee the provenance of the truck going back to the mid-80s when people probably didn't even care or realize '71 Cheyenne Supers were rare. (out of curiosity, how rare? Anyone have a percentage of production numbers?)

The heavy rear springs are interesting. I wonder if that's where my dad got his idea it was a camper special. Unless that was just standard? But... I'm not sure what's going on under there. Supposedly my dad beefed it up at one point. I think to leafs, not the springs. Don't remember.. I took a quick pic there too, as I was leaving, but I didn't get a good detailed shot.

oh! In fact, I'm remembering now that many years ago the tailgate was stolen. My dad had to find one off an older model at the junkyard. Maybe they took it because it had the chrome trim across the back. Damn them! Gotta replace that

Last edited by turpentyne; 11-16-2018 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:28 AM   #17
ls1nova71

I dont know if I would call a 71 Super "rare" as much as "uncommon". The Super was added late in the 71 model year, so there aren't as many produced as in 72. Dont know how many were made, but definitely fewer left today. That is a pretty low option truck for being the top of the line, but sometimes dealers would order them so they could advertise a top of the line truck for cheap to get people I to the dealership, then upsale them on a more expensive modle with the options they wanted. Yours was ordered with rear leaf springs which is kind of uncommon on a 1/2 ton Chevy .

Last edited by ls1nova71; 11-17-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:49 AM   #18
jocko

Thanks for posting the SPID! Dad ordered well! A real Super and you always have to listen to pops, he indeed painted the interior blue. Don't ask why, just be glad he kept the glovebox door. Supers are often faked, but you don't have to guarantee anything - the proof is the SPID. Nice truck!
Old 12-09-2018, 11:56 PM   #19
turpentyne

Finally got the truck back! Along with a whole "you get what you pay for" vibe.

It runs, but I'm sure the workmanship will haunt us for months. Example: first thing we found is the transmission was bone-dry. And no dipstick or tube. What the hell?? Why would they miss putting that on! At least it's a cheap part. EDIT: we haven't tried to see if the lower tube is in. What issues will we have if it isn't in, and we don't add it in?

On another note, I'm trying to zero in on 350 they put in. Here's the front pad stamp, if anyone is better than me at getting this info:

C5Z118416 V1004T?K

I'm not sure about those two 00's Maybe an 'o' and a zero? They're different looking stamps. The first one is kinda square-ish.

Best I've come up with so far is that it was made in Flint, on October 4th.

The C5Z part is confusing too. I found a forum post claiming that's a '75 Chevy from Fremont... but it doesn't match Flint in the second code.

I know it's from '70-'79 -- the casting is 3970010. But I want more specific.

Last edited by turpentyne; 12-10-2018 at 01:12 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:16 AM   #20
panhead59

Pls check that c5z#. I only get a C5A or C5B and those r both 1982 350 out of a pa= passenger car. Source is 55-91 Lime book. Clean and look real close.

1959 H-D Panhead. Owned since 1978. Currently with son in Lawton, OK.
1968 Chevy Custom SWB pick up. Fleetside. Lowered 4/6. Totally refurbished. 1966 Pontiac GTO. 4 speed. Saved original 389. Now has slightly built 455 engine. 355 rear gears. Very fun to drive !
panhead59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:39 AM   #21
panhead59

And there is no CSZ

1959 H-D Panhead. Owned since 1978. Currently with son in Lawton, OK.
1968 Chevy Custom SWB pick up. Fleetside. Lowered 4/6. Totally refurbished. 1966 Pontiac GTO. 4 speed. Saved original 389. Now has slightly built 455 engine. 355 rear gears. Very fun to drive !
panhead59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:11 AM   #22
turpentyne

I know I’ve got the number right. It’s crystal clear. To my understanding of the partial vin, C = “chevy truck” , 5 = ‘75 , z= Fremont. I'm a little surprised that the two pad codes would show factories across the country from each other. I think the Lime Book is just listing the engine code suffixes? For this, that'd be T?K (the middle character is not stamped well enough to read.)

According to the lime book, and other sources, that's probably either TXK or TZK. Seems to be '75 C10, C30 or van maybe.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Last edited by turpentyne; 12-10-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:21 AM   #23
turpentyne

Another question. What does anyone know about the lower oil dipstick tube. I haven't had to mess with that, before. I'm not sure if it's in there, since they didn't give us the top tube.

Can I see that from the opening above, with a flashlight? Or from below, by dropping the pan?

If it isn't there, can I press it in without having to take the engine out? I know the tube has a lip on one end. Maybe I can press it in from below by dropping pan? Or from above? I'm not sure if that's doable because of that lip.

Last edited by turpentyne; 12-10-2018 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:47 AM   #24
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by turpentyne View Post
Another question. What does anyone know about the lower oil dipstick tube. I haven't had to mess with that, before. I'm not sure if it's in there, since they didn't give us the top tube.

Can I see that from the opening above, with a flashlight? Or from below, by dropping the pan?

If it isn't there, can I press it in without having to take the engine out? I know the tube has a lip on one end. Maybe I can press it in from below by dropping pan? Or from above? I'm not sure if that's doable because of that lip.

To the best of my knowledge there is no lower tube, just the upper one. The dipstick comes out of the upper tube , through the block and into the pan.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:32 AM   #25
turpentyne

Yeah, the tube definitely exists - GM part number 3951600.

I've heard two different things - that it prevents some leaks, and that it guides the dipstick in and keeps the end from getting broken off by the crank shaft.

for example: https://www.ebay.com/i/392189054062?chn=ps