The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-19-2018, 12:06 AM   #1
C107168

Missing Emissions label CA

I’ve been in a long ongoing issue trying to a register a 71 C10 in CA that I purchased from CO over a year ago. CHP listed emissions label as “missing” on VIN verification form. Turned in form along with all other documents to DMV and their “Registration Suspense Unit” wrote back stating they wanted a emissions compliance letter from the vehicle manufacturer. Contacted GM for this letter and they say they can’t produce it because their records don’t go back that far (back to 12 digit VINs). I’ve been on the phone with them numerous times, even wrote a formal letter, providing pictures of every other label on the truck proving that it exists, and they still won’t produce a letter. Also, purchased a reproduction emissions label from Classic Industries but DMV not willing to accept another VIN verification form. I’ve considered legal action but don’t know who to go after, GM or the state of CA. Thinking I’d have better luck going after GM but at what cost. Any ideas???
Posted via Mobile Device
C107168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:18 AM   #2
Rickysnickers

Re: Missing Emissions label CA

It's a DMV issue. It's a 1970 and there is no requirement for emissions, as you already know. Are you a AAA member by chance? If so, go through them to get it registered. If not, be prepared. You are going to have to start with the clerk at the counter. If you get no satisfaction, then you are going to have to work your way up the management food chain. Be persistent! All this is written assuming you were given a CO title when you bought the truck. Is that the case?
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:03 AM   #3
Sheepdip

Here's what I know about that in California:

Why the CHP checked the missing emissions label I have not a clue....but now that you are on the DMV's radar here are the B.A.R. rules.

1965 and older there are no emission controls, 66 was the beginning of emission controls. Anything 65 and older is a free for all.

1966 to 1975 are not called in for smog testing and considered for the most part smog exempt.....but.... should you ever be referred to B.A.R by the D.M.V. for a vehicle that falls in these years it must pass both the visual and tailpipe sniffer for the requirements of the year of your vehicle. In other words you need all the smog parts working and labels in place.

Once you pass it will not be called for smog again unless the law changes.
Sheepdip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:55 AM   #4
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Can you provide a picture of the engine? Maybe there is something we can see that would have caused the CHP officer to check that box.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 03:41 PM   #5
cleszkie

I didn't have this problem when I brought my 1972 Blazer into Orange County CA 20 years ago. I also didn't need a CHP inspection. Went through the usual inspection at the DMV station where they just verified the VIN.

Why were you referred to the CHP for a special inspection? This usually only happens if the staff at the DMV cannot verify the VIN.

As far as I can recall, the emissions sticker on the inner fender well only references the model year and not the specific vehicle VIN. You could just locate an inner fender well with the year sticker you need and swap it into your truck.

It should be noted that for my 1972 Blazer, which was originally sold in California (and has "California Emissions" entry in the SPID, the required emission equipment included the following:

EGR Valve
PCV valve
Air Injection System
TCS system (transmission controlled spark)

None of this equipment was on my Blazer, and the inspector didn't care. If you are now under the microscope with the CHP, you may now have to have similar equipment on your truck (whatever was required in 1970) to pass the inspection. All I can say is good luck.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote