The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-29-2015, 06:47 PM   #1
phillipm

LS Swapping your Blazer? Here's how I did an OEM level fuel tank

I haven't ever posted here but have built many Pro-Touring type vehicles. From this I have learned that GM really knows what's up when it comes to fuel pumps and fuel modules. I thought I would share how I did my fuel tank to have OEM level fuel control for not very much $$.

I bought this 1978 2WD blazer from a guy in Pamono CA. It's a nice truck but definitely needs a lot of the regular items from what I can tell. Plans are to install a 2009 LY6 and a 6L90 Six Speed automatic.

The truck came with a 31 gallon, 13" deep fuel tank. I decided to use a 2006 Chevy truck fuel module, welded in with a Vaporworx SS fuel ring. The fuel ring accepts almost all of the late model fuel modules. So if your tank is a different height you just need to find the correct module that will fit. From there the first step is to cut a 6.375" hole into the tank. I used a hole saw from Home Depot that it normally used for can lights. It's usually located in the electrical isle and not in the tool isle.

One way to do it is use a hole enlarging hole saw kit where you would put a 3.5" hole saw in the original hole and use that to center the larger hole. I have a mill so I used that instead. Either way will work though.

Once the hole is cut simply clean out the tank and get ready to weld in the ring. I used a TIG welder with TIG rod meant for welding SS to standard steel. I buy it from McMaster-Carr but your local welding shop will probably have it too.

Once that's done your ready to install the pump.

One thing to note is the stock fuel sender is 0-90ohm and the new one is 33-240. So a universal sender will be needed. Also you can either use a Vaporworx PWM fuel controller (recommended) or a C5 corvette FPR. Either will work. Total investment is about $500.
phillipm is offline   Reply With Quote