The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-04-2016, 08:51 AM   #1
UGAK5

1972 Blazer CST Frame off Project in NC

Long time lurker - first time poster!

So, I decided in April to buy a 1972 Blazer CST that was someone else's project. They were 6 years into the project, its in pieces, and they had bought tons of parts (mostly trim, interior, bumpers, etc.) but had run out of passion, money and interest. I joking tell people I bought a brand new 1972 blazer - some assembly required.....

I am not building a lifted offroader or a show vehicle. I am building a mild lift (3 or 4 inches) pavement pounder, mostly stock as a fun spring/summer vehicle. I will reuse the TH350 and NP205 (after a rebuild) and haven't decided about the stock 350 engine (stock except double hump heads).

I know the price of admission - - PICS - - so they are included.

After getting the motor, tranny, transfer case, drivelines, fuel cell and a EVERYTHING off the firewall, i separated the body and frame alone in my driveway.....quite the sphincter clencher.... PICS of that included too (not the sphincter)!

So, this week the body goes to blasting, then to my body guy for the cold hard truth - I already see some garbage repairs around the rockers and rot around the rear wheel wells. Sheet metal purchases are in my future.

Also, since I am a belt and suspenders kind of guy, I am taking the frame to a different body shop and having it checked out. I figure why not. Its easy to take over there and just a few hundred dollars for the confidence in knowing its true before I start to rebuild everything upon it.

So - here is what I need from you guys (just the first of many things I am sure):

1) What suggestions/advice/things should I look at and/or modify on the frame before I have it blasted and painted? I know a steering box brace is a good idea (moreso on Gen 2s), but what else - knowing it'll be a small block going back in.

2) Since I need doors (I have the originals, but they are rusted on the bottom, been poorly fiberglassed and have speaker cutouts in them - would cost more to fix than replace) and other body pieces and parts, who is the best OEM quality supplier of those? I would rather pay more for the higher quality part than pay more for labor with fitment issues.

I really appreciate any wisdom you can offer - Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

UGAK5 is offline   Reply With Quote