The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2020, 07:35 PM   #1
03BlkZ

Headers on my C10

Gents, I have a 70 C10 that u am currently restoring and will be picking the montor up from the builder tomorrow. My question is for those who have run headers. My truck is a 350, short bed, 3 on the tree with 2 ½ inch drop spindles. Is there any issue buying a nice set of long tunes for the truck? If not what do you recommend? I have been running headers on my Z06 Corvettes for years and never had any issues but this is a different animal. I think the manufactures for those applications may be better than for our trucks.

Last edited by 03BlkZ; 09-24-2020 at 07:45 PM.
03BlkZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:06 PM   #2
phlegm
Still Green but learning

Re: Headers on my C10

I'm running these I have been really happy so far. They hang about 3 in down below the frame. I did not use the gasket that came with them, I went and got a Mr gasket thick crushed gasket for it and haven't had a leak. Also your linkage will hit the header if you don't adjust it period mine is three on the tree also, so what I ended up doing once I figured out what was going on was just unhooking the linkage and flipping it over there was a little bracket in there that allowed me to move it left or right. I assume that the bracket is because multiple engines went in these trucks but it was pretty simple once I saw it. Not that you'll need to if you do it ahead of time but after that I went and put a little vht high heat gray on the spot that it was hitting to keep that from rusting out period been really happy with them had them on for about a year and it's a daily driver.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G9006-9
Attached Images

2010 Acura TL
98 Mastercraft "FrankenStar" 225
27253 UPS/USPS

IIOY....nope never was
phlegm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:25 PM   #3
Sheepdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03BlkZ View Post
Gents, I have a 70 C10 that u am currently restoring and will be picking the montor up from the builder tomorrow. My question is for those who have run headers. My truck is a 350, short bed, 3 on the tree with 2 ½ inch drop spindles. Is there any issue buying a nice set of long tunes for the truck? If not what do you recommend? I have been running headers on my Z06 Corvettes for years and never had any issues but this is a different animal. I think the manufactures for those applications may be better than for our trucks.
Your truck and money do as you desire but....Save your sanity and future headaches, as you stated it's a 3 on the tree, so it's not a race truck....run stock manifolds....just my opinion.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:48 PM   #4
gmc684x4

I like hedman headers look them up
Some guys like headers some hate them
Like stated use a better quality gaskets of them turf the cheap gaskets that come with them

I never changed out a header because it blew apart i have changed many stock manafolds that have
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:41 PM   #5
jimijam00

2" Headman long tubes here. They have never had a speed bump hit them.
Attached Images

jimijam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:47 PM   #6
mike's1965

Look into Summit brand headers, I was going to buy Hooker headers ($480.00 ceramic coated) for my 1965 C10 with BBC, but found Summit brand long tube headers already ceramic coated for $270.00.

That is a bargain in my mind, they look well made, have not installed yet, waiting until it gets out of the 100's here in Phoenix area.

I have had a C5 for over 17 years and still have not added headers, the prices blew me away years ago, they say it's called Corvette tax, some headers and midpipe kits sell for over $2000.00!!

Looked once at LS1 Camaro/Trans Am headers, prices much lower than Corvette.

Look into Summit brand headers, if you can't find any you can call in or do a chat and see if they can help you find a set.
mike's1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:50 AM   #7
kwmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdip View Post
Your truck and money do as you desire but....Save your sanity and future headaches, as you stated it's a 3 on the tree, so it's not a race truck....run stock manifolds....just my opinion.
Dittos and x2. Ramhorns into a single 3'' pipe.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 06:50 AM   #8
03BlkZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
Dittos and x2. Ramhorns into a single 3'' pipe.
I do have a set of rams horns that came off the engine but I just like the look of a header on the engine. I will consider reinstalling the rams horns
Old 09-25-2020, 06:52 AM   #9
03BlkZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike's1965 View Post
Look into Summit brand headers, I was going to buy Hooker headers ($480.00 ceramic coated) for my 1965 C10 with BBC, but found Summit brand long tube headers already ceramic coated for $270.00.

That is a bargain in my mind, they look well made, have not installed yet, waiting until it gets out of the 100's here in Phoenix area.

I have had a C5 for over 17 years and still have not added headers, the prices blew me away years ago, they say it's called Corvette tax, some headers and midpipe kits sell for over $2000.00!!

Looked once at LS1 Camaro/Trans Am headers, prices much lower than Corvette.

Look into Summit brand headers, if you can't find any you can call in or do a chat and see if they can help you find a set.
Ha ha the corvette tax is a real thing. I have only run Kooks or American Racing on my Vettes. Pricy as hell but high quality. Also I will take a look at the summit headers. Thanks!
Old 09-25-2020, 07:28 AM   #10
ForcedInduction355

I have run Blackjack headers ($100 back then) with 1-5/8" primaries (maybe even 1-1/2" don't recall back then), and had a huge performance increase with just a mild cam and vac sec holly 600cfm carb. Later I stepped up to 1-3/4" primary Hooker Super Comps, with no performance increase.

So my moral is, if you go headers, keep the primaries small unless you are running aftermarket heads. You will retain a lot of torque and it will sound great. Ground clearance should not be an issue as the collector is pretty high of the ground at stock height so 2.5" shouldn't be killer. BTW, dual 3" pipes with Flowmasters sounded great albeit a tad loud.
ForcedInduction355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:58 AM   #11
03BlkZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcedInduction355 View Post
I have run Blackjack headers ($100 back then) with 1-5/8" primaries (maybe even 1-1/2" don't recall back then), and had a huge performance increase with just a mild cam and vac sec holly 600cfm carb. Later I stepped up to 1-3/4" primary Hooker Super Comps, with no performance increase.

So my moral is, if you go headers, keep the primaries small unless you are running aftermarket heads. You will retain a lot of torque and it will sound great. Ground clearance should not be an issue as the collector is pretty high of the ground at stock height so 2.5" shouldn't be killer. BTW, dual 3" pipes with Flowmasters sounded great albeit a tad loud.
Cool. My engine is going to have a cam (209/216 .435 .455) and I am looking for some sound. I know headers always wakes up the sound on a corvette. I'm not looking for a hot rod because I'm keeping 3 on the tree for nostalgic reasons. It is my dads truck that he has owned since before I was born and was the very first vehicle I ever drove and learned to drive in. I was probably 9ish when I first drove it. Now he is giving it to me and we are building it together. Here is a pic of before when we started last December and where we are now.
My dad is a retired auto body man with 43 years under his belt. Kind of helps a lot with the restoration process to have him there. I'm lucky to get to spend this time with him and we are having a lot of fun.
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2020, 08:00 AM   #12
03BlkZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdip View Post
I was worried about clearance on the shift linkages. Thanks
Old 09-25-2020, 09:00 AM   #13
phlegm
Still Green but learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03BlkZ View Post
I was worried about clearance on the shift linkages. Thanks
Yeah that's always a good plan, or a pair of short headers if you want headers still but the long ones will work at least they did for me. Get underneath your driver's seat and look up high on the bellhousing and see if your linkage comes into a little connector with two or three squares if it does you can move it from side to side or flip it around in order to give you the clearance you need.

So if you look at the third picture originally the linkage was on the other side of that and bumping my header so I disconnected it from there. Took the bolt out of the back that's in those 2 holes (first and second picture) and flipped it over to reconnect it all. I didn't have to heat anything or bend anything in my case
Attached Images

2010 Acura TL
98 Mastercraft "FrankenStar" 225
27253 UPS/USPS

IIOY....nope never was

Last edited by phlegm; 09-25-2020 at 09:30 AM.
phlegm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:07 AM   #14
ForcedInduction355

I ran headers with the three on the tree for a long while and raced it like that. There were no clearance issue at all that i recall. Had to switch to a 4 speed because the 3-speed trannies kept breaking. Then finally went auto as the stick was too abusive to the drive line with slicks. Now that i am mostly done with racing I'm looking to go back to stick. Though about trying to get the three on the tree adapted to a muncie 4-speed and have a little shifter on floor for reverse. Just an idea of course.

Quote:
Cool. My engine is going to have a cam (209/216 .435 .455) and I am looking for some sound. I know headers always wakes up the sound on a corvette. I'm not looking for a hot rod because I'm keeping 3 on the tree for nostalgic reasons. It is my dads truck that he has owned since before I was born and was the very first vehicle I ever drove and learned to drive in. I was probably 9ish when I first drove it. Now he is giving it to me and we are building it together. Here is a pic of before when we started last December and where we are now.
My dad is a retired auto body man with 43 years under his belt. Kind of helps a lot with the restoration process to have him there. I'm lucky to get to spend this time with him and we are having a lot of fun.
That is awesome. I also got my truck from my father who is now retired. You are very fortunate to have the body work experience available. I don't get along with body work very well. My truck is Sanford/Farmtruck with good powertrain. Good luck on the build, it is looking great!! You might want to look into slightly bigger cam, if interested at all, (ran single pattern .222 deg @ 0.050" / 0.450" lift for a long while which is factory 327/350hp cam). Something like a 110deg lobe sep if you want some lope. They make some Thumper cams which have a little lope and produce good torque and vac. Not sure of power intent, or what you want it to sound like, but just some thoughts. I used to change cams all the time just testing them, lol.
ForcedInduction355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 01:51 PM   #15
03BlkZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcedInduction355 View Post
I ran headers with the three on the tree for a long while and raced it like that. There were no clearance issue at all that i recall. Had to switch to a 4 speed because the 3-speed trannies kept breaking. Then finally went auto as the stick was too abusive to the drive line with slicks. Now that i am mostly done with racing I'm looking to go back to stick. Though about trying to get the three on the tree adapted to a muncie 4-speed and have a little shifter on floor for reverse. Just an idea of course.

That is awesome. I also got my truck from my father who is now retired. You are very fortunate to have the body work experience available. I don't get along with body work very well. My truck is Sanford/Farmtruck with good powertrain. Good luck on the build, it is looking great!! You might want to look into slightly bigger cam, if interested at all, (ran single pattern .222 deg @ 0.050" / 0.450" lift for a long while which is factory 327/350hp cam). Something like a 110deg lobe sep if you want some lope. They make some Thumper cams which have a little lope and produce good torque and vac. Not sure of power intent, or what you want it to sound like, but just some thoughts. I used to change cams all the time just testing them, lol.
Thanks! I just wanted a small cam for a little sound. I'm not looking for a hot rod. The cam was selected by my builder based on what I told him I was looking for. It is a 110 lobe sep so hopefully it has a little chop.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:05 PM   #16
rockyrivermark

I install summit brand ceramic headers. Used a sealant with the gasket. Never leaked and no problems.
Headers were reasonable cost
RRM
Attached Images

http://www.cbcabinets.com
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 12:55 PM   #17
03BlkZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyrivermark View Post
I install summit brand ceramic headers. Used a sealant with the gasket. Never leaked and no problems.
Headers were reasonable cost
RRM
Dude I love those valve covers. Also looks like summit headers are like 3 months out from shipping. They are the only ones I find that will appear to work with my 3 on the tree. This search has sucked and almost making me go back to rams horns. Unfortunately I am set on a set of headers.