The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2012, 12:37 AM   #1
bigblack66

My 66 Long Bed Fleetside

Ok, been lurking for awhile. finally decided to show you guys what I'm working with. This was my Grandma's 66 Chevy. She got it i believe in 95 but not sure. When she passed in 01 my Grandpa and I went out hunting that winter and I said something about liking the truck. He told me, "Well, maybe one day I'll give it to you." I didn't hear much about it after that.

Two years later, right after I turned 13 I get a call from my Grandpa. We talk for awhile then he says, "So, did you really want that old truck?" I promptly replied yes and he told me if i wanted it, come get it. So I get my dad to take me to my grandpa's house and I received my Granny's truck, a black 1966 c-10.

I drove the truck until I was 15, then moved to town and couldn't drive it around. So it sat out at my old house for nearly 2 years.

For my 17th birthday, my mom bought me new front tires (one had rotted while sitting) a battery, and paid for the tags and insurance. So once again I was riding in my 66. I drove it for 8 months, then snapped the key that hold the harmonic balancer in place, the clutch was also almost gone, (it had never been replaced in the years my grandma had it. )So, the truck went to my grandpa's house where it sat for 5 months. Being a teenager with a pregnant girlfriend made funds pretty tight. Right before I turned 18 my family and I moved from Oklahoma to Kentucky. The truck made the trip, unfortunately it was trailered to get there, and behind a dang ford u-haul. After finding a job in Ky and being able to save some funds, I was +++++++++++finally able to get her back on the road. I LOVED IT!!! I would fly down I-24 at 100 without a hiccup in the motor. It was great.

Then one day something happened, she developed a top end "click" which was most likely a lifter. I quit driving her so much and she started to sit.

Before i turned 19 me and my girlfriend, and our new little baby, moved to our own place in Illinois. With work, a new baby, and the hassles of adult life, the old 66 was kind of neglected, and so once again, she sat.

In Nov 2010 we moved again and the worst thing happened, I went to start the 66 to move it to our new place, and the motor was knocking. Not the top end click that i was used to. No, this sounded awful. I pull the dipstick and it looked like chocolate milk?!?!

So, it has sat since 2010, but with the fire rekndled I'm ready to begin getting my truck back on the road. Next year I will have had the truck 10 years! I figure what better way to tell my truck happy anniversary then a fresh rebuilt motor, a little body work, and a new paint job.
Attached Images

bigblack66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:55 AM   #2
bigblack66

Re: My 66 Long Bed Fleetside

Those were some pics from earlier this year. Here is where she's at now. The last one is a 68 250 i picked up on cl for $75 and it came with a 4 speed. I forgot to tell you guys what is in it, right now she has a knocking 68 250 with 3 speed on the floor.
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2012, 01:17 AM   #3
pdxhall

Welcome to the forum. That's a great story about your truck. Good luck on getting her back on the road.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:32 AM   #4
bigblack66

thank you, thank you, and... well, thanks. I hope to have her at least driving around by the end of march. Even if she doesn't look the best, me and my fiancee are getting married in April (been together over 5 years now, about time right?) and I'd love to be able to drive my truck away from the wedding. I used to take her to school and pick her up in this truck, and she'd love to get to ride in it again, maybe even more than me! If i ever need help, she's right there. She even helped change the clutch and harmonic balancer.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:36 AM   #5
pdxhall

It sounds like you found a great woman. It always makes things much easier when you have the support of your spouse.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:58 AM   #6
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Congrats on the engagement.
Really cool story.
Posted via Mobile Device

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:24 AM   #7
bigblack66

thanks lost. and my story??? what about yours? Amazing that you got it back. People have tried to buy mine, someone even offered $3000 for it when i was 17. I told them $10000 wouldn't do it. Just to much sentimental value tied up in this truck.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #8
bigblack66

Well, today was a pretty good day. Got some work done on the truck. Pulled the drive shaft, transmission, and the old motor out today. Now I'm left wondering, 'What's next?' The motor I picked up is leaking oil out of every gasket imaginable. If i tear it down then I will want it to go to the machine shop, but don't know where a local one is, but no point in putting it in if I'm going to be putting 2 quarts of oil a day in it (the po's estimate of what he had to put in it) Oh well, i'll sleep on it and figure something out. I guess I could just get the rebuild kit and go with it for now. Who knows?
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #9
furrydice79

welcome , and nice truck man, i have a 66 LWB Fleet too, also in the garage in bits LOL....look forward to your progress.
furrydice79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #10
bigblack66

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrydice79 View Post
welcome , and nice truck man, i have a 66 LWB Fleet too, also in the garage in bits LOL....look forward to your progress.
thanks furrydice, hopefully I decide something soon. I just know that March is going to be here quick. \

I'm considering doing the rebuild, but have never done it before. Not sure exactly where to start there, other than order a rebuild kit. Any suggestions? Or anyone live in southern il or near Paducah, Ky that knows how to rebuild a motor? I want to do it myself, but if someone had some extra time to kill and wanted to teach, I'm sure i could find a case of beer or something.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:15 PM   #11
K30cummins

nice ride im from grand chain
K30cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:27 PM   #12
bigblack66

thanks K30, it'll be nicer once she has some tlc put back in her. I'm over by GC all the time, kids and my fiancee go to school over at shawnee. She's in college and they are at the rustic campus.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:09 PM   #13
bigblack66

So, I went price hunting today.

Rebuild kit ( rering and gaskets) $200
Master kits $350-$460
have the rering done $500-$600
master kits w/ machine work plus assembly $1800-$3000

I've never rebuilt a motor myself. So I'm beginning to think that maybe a crate motor is the way to go. What do you guys think? 250 or crate 350? since it isn't a #'s matching truck i'm not that worried about it. Plus, the 350 has so many more options.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:36 PM   #14
K30cummins

ever need parts and stuff let me know i also have a body shop
Old 10-17-2012, 08:54 AM   #15
bigblack66

well k30, I could use some help rebuilding this 250, any experience with them? Even a shop that actually knows what they're doing. And as for the body work, I will be looking for it sometime. The only body shop I've heard anything good about is the one in karnak, but i went to ask them and they said they didnt know about taking on such a project. Since most of their work is insurance claims.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #16
K30cummins

i use to work there probably wont touch it ive got a buddy thats experienced with those straight 6s ill ask him
Old 10-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #17
bigblack66

would be much appreciated.