The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-25-2010, 03:56 AM   #1
lghtng2
Account Suspended

Why go through the middle man when you can go right to the supplier?

This thread is going to be dedicated entirely on where you can buy new parts without the hefty price through a middle man dealer.
To start off this forum brakes, we all know that old brake booster is still functional but wouldn't it be nice to get a new chromed out one? MBM brakes is the place to go http://www.mbmbrakeboosters.com/ this is the same supplier other company's use and mark up ridiculously. If you know of any suppliers from which you can buy direct please post because paying retail for parts is for suckers.
lghtng2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:23 AM   #2
long69

Re: Why go through the middle man when you can go right to the supplier?

you'll still have to go thru a middle man unless you become a dealer for them.
at least thats the jist of it looking at the web site for only a few min.
but this thread is good idear. no one likes to be a sucker.
long69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:09 AM   #3
rsavage

I've found that most times buying parts off the manufacturer's sites, if they allow you to order directly, doesn't save much if anything. Most don't because they don't want to compete with the folks that they want to distribute their products. I've found that they usually sell at their msrp. Obviously, they sell to dealers cheaper. I spend some time on the internet checking prices, feedback or ratings etc. and try to get a decent deal. Dealers have to make a living too and there are lots of small companies that support our hobby.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:58 AM   #4
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by lghtng2 View Post
This thread is going to be dedicated entirely on where you can buy new parts without the hefty price through a middle man dealer.
To start off this forum brakes, we all know that old brake booster is still functional but wouldn't it be nice to get a new chromed out one? MBM brakes is the place to go http://www.mbmbrakeboosters.com/ this is the same supplier other company's use and mark up ridiculously. If you know of any suppliers from which you can buy direct please post because paying retail for parts is for suckers.
You will have to become a dealer to buy from MBM. They supply us with some brake parts. We don't mark them up that much. In order to get the best prices you have to purchase in quantity from them. Buying a single part from them will not save very much. Pirate Jacks is their retail store. 90% of the products we sell are going to less than what you will pay if you buy direct from the Mfg. Also many suppliers require a verified storefront, minimum monthly,yearly orders, POP displays,machine equipment,buy-ins,they have route salesman who come to your store.the list goes on. You can get all the requirements to get accounts to purchase from the mfg's but you have to purchase products and also not for the same vehicle or you risk being dropped by them.
Most legitimate companies will protect their dealers and sales
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:13 AM   #5
1LoC10
Insert Title Here

If we cut out all the middle men, then nobody will be employed in this country

1000 pics of 67-72's>> http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z...-72/?start=all <<
1LoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:46 AM   #6
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgmike View Post
90% of the products we sell are going to less than what you will pay if you buy direct from the Mfg.
mbgmike is right. And what he says is true for most of the manufacturers I know of.

For example, Edelbrock will be happy to sell you an intake manifold on their Internet store for 1.5 times what you'd pay for it at Summit or Jeg's. Same is true for Holley and CompCams.

In the 55-57 Chevy car world, Danchuk is known for making high quality trim parts. Many of the smaller vendors sell Danchuk parts for less than buying direct from Danchuk. Not only that, but the smaller guys' freight charges are lower and their service is better.

One of the few exceptions I can think of is Classic Performance Products. They often have brakes and suspension parts on eBay for less than the going price at their dealers, which must really create a lot of loyalty there!

Also, Early Classic Enterprises (pickup parts) sells direct at the same price you would pay at one of their distributors.

lghtng2, if you find some manufacturers that regularly undercut their distributor prices, let us know. But I can tell you, it costs lots of money to support full-time inside sales and customer service departments to handle complaints and returns. Entering and shipping 1,000s of small orders is much more work and less profitable than dealing with 100s of large orders from a few dozen distributors. Also, the distributors usually know exactly what they're buying and don't need any support. And they pay C.O.D. or 30 days net, whereas direct customers pay via credit cards, which probably adds 2%-7% to the cost of doing business.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!

Last edited by MikeB; 09-25-2010 at 02:44 PM.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:58 AM   #7
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

If the cheapest price is the only goal then I would prefer you do go direct. But when you have issues with the item or when they can't help or won't help or they want a CC to ship another and it takes 3 weeks to get it straight, Please don't call me for help.

There are several large distributors that have retail outlets under a different name like Key Parts and Top Banana (formerly Tri Pro Automotive), MBM and Pirate Jacks, Counter parts and Truck and car shop. The Hoffman Group has one as well but I don’t remember the name of it. Some of these companies do sell to the public at the same price as they sell to their dealers (they don’t think we know). I try not to use companies that compete with me directly and in the same venues.

When going direct the MFG/DIST expects you to know what you’re buying. When its wrong you have to try to resell it or ship it back and pay restocking fees. Going direct almost always the shipping is on you both ways and if you don’t have a UPS contract then you’re paying retail shipping which is outrageously expensive.

Last edited by dwcsr; 09-25-2010 at 12:02 PM.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:54 PM   #8
cdowns

you can buy direct from wheel vintiques but alot of thier dealers sell the same for less with less waiting time too//same with AR and RADIR
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:12 PM   #9
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

True, true... on comments re. middleman sometimes being cheaper. All one has to do is check the prices on some of the sites that do sell to the public and then check the internet to see if they are cheaper somewhere else.

I've found out that generally (not saying always) the manufacturers are higher than some of the middle men.

As was mentioned above, middlemen buy in quantities and on a continuing basis so they can get really low discounts.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:59 PM   #10
mbgmike

We buy brake rotors from the largest brake rotor MFG (in Canada) in the western Hemisphere. They make just about everyones rotors sold in the US by any company. Try buying from them on a single order. it can take 8 to 10 weeks to get it.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:48 PM   #11
69 Okie Truck

Why go through the middle man? Well.....

They provide a very valuable niche in the supply chain. They are often in your neighborhood, can gather parts from various manufacturers under one roof, and sometimes provide impetus for new products that the market may not realize the need for yet. They are also the point man on telling you which of the various products may suit your needs. I mean, there ARE differences between manufacturers, and it makes sense that the ones who deal with them daily would know the finer points of it all.

Price is always a consideration, but if I had to go to G.M. in Detroit every time I needed a good or service, this wouldn't go very far would it?

I don't mind paying if I feel I am provided with honest value in service.
69 Okie Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:55 AM   #12
jb4short
Damn Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
If the cheapest price is the only goal then I would prefer you do go direct. But when you have issues with the item or when they can't help or won't help or they want a CC to ship another and it takes 3 weeks to get it straight, Please don't call me for help.

There are several large distributors that have retail outlets under a different name like Key Parts and Top Banana (formerly Tri Pro Automotive), MBM and Pirate Jacks, Counter parts and Truck and car shop. The Hoffman Group has one as well but I don’t remember the name of it. Some of these companies do sell to the public at the same price as they sell to their dealers (they don’t think we know). I try not to use companies that compete with me directly and in the same venues.

When going direct the MFG/DIST expects you to know what you’re buying. When its wrong you have to try to resell it or ship it back and pay restocking fees. Going direct almost always the shipping is on you both ways and if you don’t have a UPS contract then you’re paying retail shipping which is outrageously expensive.

Just to clear something up from this post- Top Banana was formerly Christian's Classics....not Tri-Pro Automotive. Tri-Pro Automotive is long closed. Key Parts does not have a retail outlet.
jb4short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:28 PM   #13
TobyArnot
Quit if it's not FUN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
you can buy direct from wheel vintiques but alot of thier dealers sell the same for less with less waiting time too//same with AR and RADIR
Wheel Vintiques suggested I order from Summit, to save shipping cost to the east coast. Worked for me. Summit quoted a lower price including delivery to my door.
TobyArnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:21 PM   #14
OKLAHOMAWELDER
Tradin' Fool

My .02...
A mfg is not going to undersell their suppliers. They want to make money on big orders for long periods of time with their suppliers, not on 1 small order to the average DIY guy buying 1 item.
I myself have tried to buy direct and have even asked before when talking to the mfg why they are higher than the "middle man", and they will even tell you they dont want to undersell the people that are making them the most money.....
OKLAHOMAWELDER is offline   Reply With Quote