The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-16-2020, 04:19 PM   #1
vetnat

Question for Cpt Fab 60-62 brake booster bracket

Hey, installed the unit last year, so details in my head are fuzzy. Problem I am having is clutch is not disengaging fully, so won't go in to gear. Have not adjusted clutch fork / slave cylinder area either. Wondering if I have the pedal linkage installed correctly? If I recall, seems like linkage is adjusted "all the way out" just to get it installed, so no actual adjustment is available in the pedal linkage. Here are some photos. Clutch seems really "heavy" too.
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2020, 09:44 PM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Question for Cpt Fab 60-62 brake booster bracket

Yes that appears to be installed correctly. You apparently have had this for quite a while judging from some of the components. What are you using for a clutch slave cylinder? Is it the same as when you first bought the conversion from me? And what is the bore size of the clutch master? Did you purchase the clutch master from me?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 02:22 AM   #3
vetnat

Yes, its a 1" bore wilwood clutch master cylinder, that I purchased from you. Bought in 2015, installed in 2016. Truck has not been on the road yet, still working on brakes. Last summer (or summer before), I wanted to try putting it into gear and drive up onto the wheel chocks just a titch. Couldn't get to go into first, just grinding. Now getting around to working on that.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:26 AM   #4
vetnat

Could over tightening the bolts on the long spacer between the pedal and the push rod linkage (in upper right pic) make the clutch feel heavy?
Old 05-17-2020, 09:52 PM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Is the clutch slave cylinder a new '60-'62 style slave? Tightening the standoff bolts should not affect movement as long as the heim joint is not bound up.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:32 PM   #6
vetnat

Rebuilt the slave cylinder.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:14 PM   #7
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Is it the original slave cylinder that came on your truck???? or at least identical to what GM installed originally??

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetnat View Post
Rebuilt the slave cylinder.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:19 PM   #8
vetnat

Was the original slave cylinder as far as I know. Will see if I can link to a picture of it from another thread.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:24 PM   #9
vetnat

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...c+clutch+brake

Post #108
Old 05-18-2020, 10:34 PM   #10
vetnat

And a few more current pics.
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2020, 09:58 PM   #11
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Ok so it sounds like you have an original '60-'62 slave cylinder and I sent you a 1" bore clutch master. I have only had 1 or 2 other complaints similar out of about 50+. It is possible that you may need a larger bore clutch master, but that is going to compound your hard pedal issue. Did you lubricate the trans front bearing retainer, where the throw out bearing slides?
Old 05-20-2020, 12:16 AM   #12
vetnat

No, have not gone that far in to the trans yet. Sounds like a good place to look. Any ideas why I don't seem to have any adjustment available in the in-cab clutch pedal linkage? Could the slave cylinder to clutch fork area be so far out of whack? Thanks for the help so far.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:45 PM   #13
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Since it has been nearly 5 years since you purchased the kit from me, does the master cylinder piston seem to move freely? How about the slave cylinder? How long has it need sitting since you rebuilt it? Did the system bleed well? If you have not looked inside the bellhousing, there could be something in there causing issues. I'm not sure about the adjustment issues with the linkage you purchased from me. I have not have any other complaints about that. I can send you another longer threaded rod if that will help.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:47 AM   #14
vetnat

Clutch pedal has felt like this since I got it working and installed the new pedal linkage back in 2016. Never did feel what the clutch pedal felt like with factory linkage because the slave cylinder was seized at that time. After rebuild seemed to bleed fine.

I am still working on brakes, so have not driven the truck yet. That's why I never noticed the issue with the clutch not disengaging fully before last year, as I never attempted to put it into gear before, with the truck running. Goes into gear fine with the engine off. I will definitely be looking further into the bellhousing area. Perhaps a longer threaded rod would be helpful - between the linkage and the pedal, I assume you mean (not between master cylinder and linkage). Is this the point with the most adjustment? Will it raise the height of the pedal? Thanks for all the help.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:39 PM   #15
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The purpose of the adjustment between the pedal and the linkage to the clutch master is so that you can adjust for full clutch pedal travel without bottoming out the clutch master and causing damage.
Old 05-25-2020, 03:00 AM   #16
vetnat

Ah, OK, thanks for the explanation. So, if I understand correctly, any adjustment to clutch engagement should be made at the clutch fork linkage point. Once I can get clutch to fully disengage, then I can work on the heavy clutch pedal issue. Thanks again.