The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2012, 01:36 PM   #101
ricott

Re: Dug's 1959 Fleetside

Thanks for the pictures and the measurements. After looking at several Fleetside pickups at Goodguys - Columbus earlier this month, and the fact I learned to drive in a 58 F@#d fleetside pickup, I decided that I would ditch the step side bed on my 55 pickup in favor of a fleetside. I purchased a fleetside bed and need to make a road trip (350 each way) to pick it up. Eric and I got all the sheet metal painted and installed on his GTO (I posted pictures) and we have been driving it several miles each evening. Good luck with your project, I hope to be starting the next one this fall. How hard was it to disassemble the fleetside bed? If it can be done in 2 - 3 hours, I will go in my S10 Pickup instead of pulling a trailer behind my Surburban.

Ricky
ricott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:16 AM   #102
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricott View Post
Thanks for the pictures and the measurements. After looking at several Fleetside pickups at Goodguys - Columbus earlier this month, and the fact I learned to drive in a 58 F@#d fleetside pickup, I decided that I would ditch the step side bed on my 55 pickup in favor of a fleetside. I purchased a fleetside bed and need to make a road trip (350 each way) to pick it up. Eric and I got all the sheet metal painted and installed on his GTO (I posted pictures) and we have been driving it several miles each evening. Good luck with your project, I hope to be starting the next one this fall. How hard was it to disassemble the fleetside bed? If it can be done in 2 - 3 hours, I will go in my S10 Pickup instead of pulling a trailer behind my Surburban.

Ricky
We had the bed off and fully apart in less than an hour. Would fit nicely in the S-10 if broken down. Mostly cut the bolts with a cutoff wheel on grinder due to rust. The few I tried to unbolt sheared off. Wood was totally rotten and the rails were pretty beat up so being careful was not an issue. Since the wood was rotten, we could lift the rails and cut them from the top side of the bed which was pretty easy overall. Had a couple of 1" to 2" sheetmetal welds at the back of the bed near the tailgate. If I had it to do over, I would have left it together until I sorted out it's location on the truck.
Attached Images

dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #103
dug224

Finally got back on the project. I included a series of photos that start with the front left cab mount placement. First photo is of the mount bolted to the bottom of the cab. The mount was not quite large enough to reach the frame so I tried my hand at fabrication for the first time and extended it with small pieces of frame metal that came off the frame horns. Turned out pretty good thanks to my grinders but my MIG welding leaves much to be desired. Had a blast doing it and can see how you can get carried away and start doing crazy things like pancaking a hood and such!!!! Practice practice practice....

Once the cab was on, I reinstalled the front clip less the inner fenders. The orignal core support fits nicely but is not quite centered on the frame horns although the outside face of the front tires are positioned exactly the same distance from the face of the fenders on both sides. Off about 3/4". The Envoy engine location is not centered in the frame either so it looks a bit out of sorts. Can't explain it. As long as the tires are in the correct location, I am going with it. Note the Envoy body mounts will be welded to the '59 core support (upside down from stock) and they will sit on top of the Envoy frame. I mocked up the inner fender with cardboard and have determined the amount of material that will have to be removed to clear the suspension. Will cut those out next weekend.

Put the doors in the holes using clamps. The hinges were welded to the driver door and worn out on the passenger door so much work to do. I believe I can go ahead and tack the front core support mounts without hanging the doors. Just need to make sure the front fenders and cab body line are all lined up.
Attached Images

Old 10-29-2012, 06:15 PM   #104
dug224

A few more photos...
Attached Images

Old 10-29-2012, 10:40 PM   #105
jrdecat

Nice looking truck! I'm considering something similar. I picked up a 58 and 59 and between the two of them could build a pretty much original truck. I'd rather have a sweet looking 59 with all of the modern conveniences. If you don't mind me asking...what did your donor frame cost? I'm trying to keep my build "reasonably" priced so I was originally looking at a mid 80's pickup that had a beat up body, but good stuff underneath. Four wheel disc brakes sounds pretty nice though. I'm going to build a flat bed, so mounting the bed isn't an issue. I just want to drop the cab on top of the engine, tranny, frame, and then tuck everything inside. Any thoughts from someone who's been down this road before?
jrdecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:02 AM   #106
Kim57

A lot of work but you're getting there.
Kim
Old 10-30-2012, 08:19 AM   #107
ricott

Great to see you working on the truck. As usual, your pictures and descriptions will make it so much easier for those of us who take this approach to building a TF truck. I'm all in now on this method of building as I have purchased a 2003 Trailblazer EXT frame and other parts for my 55 TF.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:34 PM   #108
dug224

Quote:
Great to see you working on the truck. As usual, your pictures and descriptions will make it so much easier for those of us who take this approach to building a TF truck. I'm all in now on this method of building as I have purchased a 2003 Trailblazer EXT frame and other parts for my 55 TF.
Nice...Did yours come with the V8?
Old 10-30-2012, 12:44 PM   #109
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdecat View Post
Nice looking truck! I'm considering something similar. I picked up a 58 and 59 and between the two of them could build a pretty much original truck. I'd rather have a sweet looking 59 with all of the modern conveniences. If you don't mind me asking...what did your donor frame cost? I'm trying to keep my build "reasonably" priced so I was originally looking at a mid 80's pickup that had a beat up body, but good stuff underneath. Four wheel disc brakes sounds pretty nice though. I'm going to build a flat bed, so mounting the bed isn't an issue. I just want to drop the cab on top of the engine, tranny, frame, and then tuck everything inside. Any thoughts from someone who's been down this road before?
The problem I had selecting a donor was the track width. Everthing seemed to be too wide. The Dynacorn project reference earlier in my thread convinced me to go this way. I paid $800 for the "fully loaded" frame. Came with everthing except wheels/tires, engine, transmission and radiator. Even got the jack/tools, spare and a full tank of gas. Pay attention to the color of the body mounts. They are painted and I suspect they belong in a certain location on the frame depending on load. I did not so all I can do is make sure I have the same color rubber mounts across from each other. The oil pan unique to this vehicle so, if you are going 5.3 or 6.0 liter LS, it would be easier to get one that came out of an Envoy/Trailblazer rather than a truck or SUV. Get your thread started so we can enjoy...and lots of pictures...dug
Old 10-30-2012, 01:40 PM   #110
ricott

No, it had the six. I have a 2001 LS6 engine (out of a 2001 Corvette ZO6) that is on the engine stand. It is a really strong engine, but after pricing conversion parts vs pullout engines with all the accessories, I may buy an 5.3 envoy envoy engine and bolt it in. My son is driving the GTO so we may never finish it!!! I'm not in a super rush right now as I am working on the frame of the wife's 58 corvette restomod. The truck will have to wait it's turn.

Ricky
Old 10-30-2012, 06:18 PM   #111
dug224

Quote:
No, it had the six. I have a 2001 LS6 engine (out of a 2001 Corvette ZO6) that is on the engine stand. It is a really strong engine, but after pricing conversion parts vs pullout engines with all the accessories, I may buy an 5.3 envoy envoy engine and bolt it in. My son is driving the GTO so we may never finish it!!! I'm not in a super rush right now as I am working on the frame of the wife's 58 corvette restomod. The truck will have to wait it's turn.

Ricky
Forgot you had the Z06 in stock. That will be nice if the cost does not choke you. Would love follow the '58 vette build. Let me know if you are showing it on a thread. dug
Old 10-30-2012, 06:22 PM   #112
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim57 View Post
A lot of work but you're getting there.
Kim
Kim57...thanks for encouraging all of us. It helps! Dug
Old 11-02-2012, 01:47 PM   #113
dug224

Got the driver side inner fender cut and in place. The first photo shows the inner fender before I trimmed it to miss the frame horn. The last picture an inside shot of the inner fender at the frame horn. May need some intput on how to treat the raw edges. I noted the Dyancorn truck left the edge raw and simply painted. May flange it or try to find a rubber edge to put on it to make it look more finished.
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2012, 07:23 AM   #114
dug224

Got the front clip back on with all bolts in place. Practiced repairing sheetmetal by MIG welding the fatigue breaks in the driver side sheet metal that covers the core support. Photo does not do it justice. The cracks were everywhere. When I bolted it back on, new cracks appeared. I will go ahead and weld a new tab next time the welder is on since the sheetmetal is worn so thin. Still have to design the core support mounts and get them in place. Will cut the cab floor after the core support so I can get the transmission back where it belongs and the driveshaft in place.

Real pleased with the gaps especially after shimming the fenders at the door. Got it all adjusted including the hood hinges and photographed before I put the hinge springs back on. Once I put the springs back on, it became evident pretty quickly that they are worn out. The hood now sticks up above the cowl about 1". Will replace with new soon.

To protect my shinny new wheels, I picked up some canvas wheel covers from Harbor Freight for $8.99 (pkg of 4). Comes with integral wire that keeps it clamped to the tire. Figured they would come in handy during painting as well.
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #115
Kim57

Looks like you're making good progress.
Kim
Old 11-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #116
dug224

Got the front clip lined up. There were a lot of variables to consider. I had to "unshim" the top of the passenger fender at the cab to get the passenger side to line up. Had to slightly sand the body line and paint it (see gold paint) so I could see the body ridge and line it up with the string. Will weld supports in place this weekend and move to cutting out the floor to clear the transmission.

Multiple shots of the driver side core support mount. Heated and bent one of the mounting tabs to line up with the structural piece on the core support. I will need to add some material to the fender liner for bracing since I have cut out so much for the suspension and core support mount.

One shot thru the headlight hole so you can see the general clearance of suspension and wheel.
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2012, 10:24 AM   #117
dug224

two more shots....
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #118
Kim57

Looks like you're making good progress.
Kim
Old 11-15-2012, 12:48 PM   #119
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Your frame swap is coming out very nice, very nice. Great job buddy.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:54 PM   #120
dug224

Got the core support mounts tacked in place. Proceeded to roll it outside to cut the floor for the transmission. The aluminum driveshaft is about 3" short. Will see about getting it lengthened next week.
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #121
dug224

Having some problems "stretching" the transmission to reach the factory crossmember. Trying to figure out what is wrong. I have the factory 5.3l V8 with AT mounted on a factory 4.8l I-6 frame. In the event someone can help, I post the following photos. I shot a tech question to the folks at TraiVoy.com to see if the experts can shed some light.

My have to build an adaptor plate but hate to get into all that work if it is something simple to make right...dug224
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #122
Wheelie

You may have the wromg tailhousing length wise or that thing uses a weird mount. I would personallyy make my own and move on. Looks real good so far!
Old 11-18-2012, 01:30 PM   #123
Kim57

If it was an inline 6 it was probably a little longer than the v-8.
Obviously I have no idea what the 4.8 is.
Kim
Old 11-18-2012, 08:38 PM   #124
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelie View Post
You may have the wromg tailhousing length wise or that thing uses a weird mount. I would personallyy make my own and move on. Looks real good so far!
Wheelie: Good point. I editted my question to the Trailblazer Envoy experts to include this. The trans mount is pretty tall. About 1 inch more room required to get it in place that I currently have it set up. If the fix ain't easy and cheap, I will fab a mount. Thx...dug224
Old 11-19-2012, 01:33 AM   #125
OrrieG

If the trans and crossmember are at the final heights it looks like a piece of plate will work.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote