The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-27-2014, 11:13 AM   #1
1966burb

Underneath spare tire carrier

Good morning- I picked up a nice used spare tire carrier for my 1966 Burb. The one end has a bolt with 2 jam nuts. My question is-- are the jam nuts to be tightened up to hold the bolt rigid off of the frame, or left loose so it can swing around a little? The piece between the nuts is an old piece of frame as the guy just used a Sawzall to cut it out. Jim
Attached Images

1966burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:57 AM   #2
Lugnutz65

Re: Underneath spare tire carrier

I just sold 2 of those. They are kinda hard to find and usually not complete like yours. Nice score.
The square piece is probably not cut from the frame. Both of mine had that square piece and I removed the carriers from the truck myself.
I can't remember exactly how the jamb nuts work. I think the FSM doesn't say much either. IIRC, the nuts tighten to keep the bolt from pistoning in the frame hole but they don't actually tighten all the way. The tire jambs up against the underside of the frame and provides tension once it's all tightened up.

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 12:52 PM   #3
60ShortStepGMC

I couldn't figure out how to remove those jam nuts. The top one was inside the frame, I couldn't get a wrench in there. Plus the rust factor. I cut it out and went a differ'nt way.

60ShortStepGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:32 PM   #4
Lugnutz65

Here's a photo from a longbed I parted out. The whole truck was original. I wish I had a few more angles to show.

I reassembled everything as it was originally. The 2 nuts go above and below the DS lower frame flange. The head of that long bolt acts as a stop.
Attached Images

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:38 PM   #5
1966burb

The piece between the 2 nuts was a piece of the frame cut out because he could not get it unbolted. Used the "hot wrench" and got the nuts off. Lugnutz65 -- were the nuts tight against each side of the frame rail? The nuts on mine were seized about 3 inches apart. Jim
1966burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:04 PM   #6
Lugnutz65

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966burb View Post
The piece between the 2 nuts was a piece of the frame cut out because he could not get it unbolted. Used the "hot wrench" and got the nuts off. Lugnutz65 -- were the nuts tight against each side of the frame rail? The nuts on mine were seized about 3 inches apart. Jim
Mine were seized too. One of mine had a large square metal piece among the parts. As I review the photos, I think the metal square on mine was added to the PS assembly so the part with the eyelet would not pass through the keyhole in the end of the horizontal hanger. Thus the owner never needed a padlock.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lugnutz65; 04-27-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:06 PM   #7
AcampoDave

I used the first nut on top of the frame to set the length of the bolt with regard to how low I needed it to hang down. Skinny tire = less bolt, the jamb nut then tightens up under the frame from below to keep everything snugged up good.

Last edited by AcampoDave; 04-27-2014 at 08:10 PM. Reason: typo
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:59 AM   #8
Woogeroo

These may or may not help :

16 pics – under bed spare tire set up

----

also, see these threads in the 60-66 FAQ Index :

Section 2D

Category : Spare Tires / stock locations / custom locations & mounts / Later model donut spares that fit 6 lugs

----

-W

Last edited by Woogeroo; 04-28-2014 at 03:41 AM.
Woogeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:32 AM   #9
Mossbeard

Woogeroo, those pics are awesome! I'm new to these trucks and was having a heck of a time figuring out how the spare was supposed to be mounted. Thanks!

Now I just have to find a carrier for sale. My truck was missing that part when I bought it.

Going back to the OP's original question, it looks like your installation has the tire snug against a rail so there's no movement?

Also, not trying to thread-jack, but does anyone know is there any difference between the carrier hardware on various years? I have a '66 C-20 fleetside and I'm wondering if a '65 has the same hardware or should I be shopping for ONLY a '66 spare tire carrier?

Thanks
Mossbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:22 AM   #10
jtrichard

Yes you want the tire tight to the cross members if not you WILL be picking up your spare out of the street some where ...I always use the bottle jack to install/remove the tire the bolt nut/loop is kinda a joke its hard as hell to get it tight enough the jack is much easier... If you are not building a museum piece you can get a chain/cable tire lift out of a late model truck they work great I just put one on a trailer ....so nice
jtrichard is offline   Reply With Quote