The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-04-2013, 12:18 PM   #26
jorgensensc

Re: A/C and Entropy Fans

I've got a part number I used around here somewhere. Give me a day to find it and I will get it for you. It was a real pain in the arse to find it, I remember that.

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #27
Soyuz008

In most modern OEM dual fan systems, low speed is when both motors are wired in series with the battery (approx 1/2 battery voltage to each motor). High speed is both fans are wired parallel with battery (full battery voltage to each motor). It is pretty rare to run one fan only for low speed (it is still done on some vehicles...many JOEM...but not often). One fan only operation, pulls hot air from the engine (through the non-running fan opening) and re-circulates it through the radiator. In most instances, this actually makes the coolant increase in temp.

In modern OEM fan systems, the fans are not turned on simple because AC is on. They are operated by AC head pressure (plus other inputs) and may cycle off to low or low to high depending on AC needs or cooling needs.

Fans are not turned off above a set vehicle speed. If the various cooling needs are met, the fans turn off, if anything is still above the shut off limit, the fans will run no matter how fast the vehicle is travelling.

The above is not based on internet myth. I have been supplying OEM coolings fans to GM, Ford, Chrysler and BWM for many years. I have spent hundreds of hours in the climatic wind tunnels tuning and calibrating electric cooling fans for cars and trucks.
Soyuz008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #28
C10_ustacould
A day late and $1 short...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soyuz008 View Post
In most modern OEM dual fan systems, low speed is when both motors are wired in series with the battery (approx 1/2 battery voltage to each motor). High speed is both fans are wired parallel with battery (full battery voltage to each motor). It is pretty rare to run one fan only for low speed (it is still done on some vehicles...many JOEM...but not often). One fan only operation, pulls hot air from the engine (through the non-running fan opening) and re-circulates it through the radiator. In most instances, this actually makes the coolant increase in temp.

In modern OEM fan systems, the fans are not turned on simple because AC is on. They are operated by AC head pressure (plus other inputs) and may cycle off to low or low to high depending on AC needs or cooling needs.

Fans are not turned off above a set vehicle speed. If the various cooling needs are met, the fans turn off, if anything is still above the shut off limit, the fans will run no matter how fast the vehicle is travelling.

The above is not based on internet myth. I have been supplying OEM coolings fans to GM, Ford, Chrysler and BWM for many years. I have spent hundreds of hours in the climatic wind tunnels tuning and calibrating electric cooling fans for cars and trucks.
I am so happy you revealed yourself to us. I am sure you read all of the view points and needs expressed in this thread. Since you are an automotive fan supplier, will you be developing a fan set up containing an interface that will take input from the PCM to control all fan function for the LSx swap market? I would certainly pay good money for that!

Instagram: C10_ustacould

1963 SWB Fleet Side 528 Desert Beige
Milly

1967 SWB Step Side 506 Medium Blue
The Old Girl

1968 SWB Fleet Side 503 Light Green
Ellie SOLD

1965 SWB Fleet Side 507 Light Blue
Prescription Strength SOLD

1971 SWB Fleet Side 521 White
Shiro SOLD

1968 SWB Step Side 503 Light Green
My Old Farm Truck SOLD
C10_ustacould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:16 AM   #29
Soyuz008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucks68 View Post
I am so happy you revealed yourself to us. I am sure you read all of the view points and needs expressed in this thread. Since you are an automotive fan supplier, will you be developing a fan set up containing an interface that will take input from the PCM to control all fan function for the LSx swap market? I would certainly pay good money for that!
Unfortunately, the software / PCM side of things is not my speciality, so no plans in the future for a stand alone control box. I have not started even looking for LSX donor parts yet, so I have not even roughed out a cooling plan. If I get real lucky, maybe I'll find a newer GM truck that has the dual cooling fan set-up and just use the existing ECM's outputs to the relays. Otherwise, it is figure it out as I go along.
Soyuz008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:59 AM   #30
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soyuz008 View Post
Unfortunately, the software / PCM side of things is not my speciality, so no plans in the future for a stand alone control box. I have not started even looking for LSX donor parts yet, so I have not even roughed out a cooling plan. If I get real lucky, maybe I'll find a newer GM truck that has the dual cooling fan set-up and just use the existing ECM's outputs to the relays. Otherwise, it is figure it out as I go along.
Welcome aboard and thanks for the input!
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote