The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2010, 10:15 PM   #1
drag_72
Ready to go fast!!

Big Block Chevy Turbo kits?

anyone have any ideas what these cost or any info on a good start?
Holley Strip Dominator intake
1030cfm holley carb, 250 plate shot
roller rockers Erson Solid cam split duration 307/310.
.575/.595 lift
milodon oil pan
fab. aluminum valve covers
4 bolt main splayed anodized caps
all studded
drag_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:24 PM   #2
tomtuna1978

Re: Big Block Chevy Turbo kits?

i dont think anyone makes kits for these trucks, but id just make my own. you can buy all the stuff pretty cheep and if you got a little fab skills you can do it. what are you looking for ? are you doing it to the truck in your sig ?
tomtuna1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:52 PM   #3
drag_72
Ready to go fast!!

no really a kit for the trucks... just for big block. what do i need? and yes im doing it to my pro street 72. check out my build thread.. "just a kid with a dream" i know im gonna have to lower the compression
.575/.595 lift
milodon oil pan
all studded
Old 03-03-2010, 11:19 PM   #4
tomtuna1978

what heads do you have ? you might be able to just get heads with bigger combustion chambers. are you going to go fuel injected? or blow threw carb ? what kind of fuel system do you have now? you might want to upgrade that ! i just hope you got a bunch of money ! lol ... it gets expensive quick !!! you gonna go single turbo or twin ? twins might be a little cheeper because you can get used t-4/t-3 ones on ebay cheep and you can just buy shortie headers and flip em up. just gonna be a lil more plumbing. if i were you ... id read all i could on turbo setups befor i even thought about spending a dime !!!
tomtuna1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:22 PM   #5
midevil1
ShortBus KingPin

2 88mm dryer's (at least), blow thru carb, wastegates, boost controller, stainless headers, downpipes, cold pipes, bonnet for carb, some type of intercooling, timing controller, BOV, ETC..... It ain't cheap to do, but 10lbs of boost on my 505, I was making 1200+hp. It isnt any fun on the street though. That is why I sold everything and went natural. It was suprisingly streetable. You are 3 months late. I gave a buddy one helluva deal. If you shop around and know what you are looking at and for. You can get alot of parts on the cheap.

A couple of close friends are in the Outlaw racing scene and are always upgrading their setups. I'll keep my ears out for some good compressors.

2008 GMC Yukon DENALI, 425 AWHP, 5700LBS, 12.40's at 109mph. (Her RIDE)

2006 Kawasaki Brute Force, 916cc, 80 shot, 6.20's at 111 mph. (Her RIDE)
midevil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:32 PM   #6
c-10ss

do lots of reading up on turbo set ups , i just finished doing a single turbo setup on my 383 stroker, fuel injection is the way to go way easier to tune , i got a blow thru set up on my truck which is the cheaper way to go

the turboforums is a great site to read up and learn off of for turbo systems
c-10ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:34 PM   #7
drag_72
Ready to go fast!!

midevil1- u sound like u know ur **** lol i really dont know anything about it except they make tremendous power... i thought about using nitrous to get it spooled up off the line until they are fully spooled.. im just tryin to get some info under my belt before i go blowin money
.575/.595 lift
milodon oil pan
all studded
Old 03-04-2010, 09:09 AM   #8
Wild83C10

twin 88mm are pretty large for a 454. You don't need SS headers, a good set of mild steel would work fine. An intercooler isn't required either, but it does help.

You can build a 1200 hp BBC with twins or single and it can be very streetable if you build the right combo.

In order to provide some advise we need to know what parts you want to keep, what you are willing to spend (cheap to someone else may not be cheap to you) and what your goals are. 9 sec time slips, 1000 rwhp??

383 MASS-FLO EFI/TKO II 600/3.90 Posi 10 bolt
S475 and C4 DM running, fine tuning
turbo=
Douchebag Racing: Runs Fine all the Time
Wild83C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:29 AM   #9
Alex1

Try twin 68mm or 70s. twin 88's are for big time power - go to the turboforums for anything turbo related.
Alex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:29 PM   #10
nomrlz

a marine procharger kit just didn't sell on ebay for $350. now it's relisted and up to $400 this time. i almost offered him $300 last time just to have
nomrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:51 PM   #11
wheatlandbrawler

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVR...Q5fAccessories check this kit out. a big block would easily provide the airspace for this set up. it allready has a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator. the only things that you would have to buy is or build is the exhaust manifolds. do big block shorty headers and flip them upside down you may have to cut the collector and re tig it to tuck the snails under the hood a little better. this kit is a really good deal though. you can get this kit a little cheaper then that as well. ive seen them go for as cheap as a 1g flat with free shipping. and you might even be able to talk to the guy and tell him you dont want the exhaust manifolds. for cheaper prices ya know. anyways i hope this helps. oh and DEMON makes a production blow through carb allready and its cheaper then sending in a carb to have the base plate vaccum ports added and teflon floats and boost referencing the meteoring blocks to constantly equalize the pressure. you will also need a higher pressure fuel pump. more then your average 6-8 psi fuel pump.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:49 PM   #12
Alex1

Quote:
Originally Posted by drag_72 View Post
midevil1- u sound like u know ur **** lol i really dont know anything about it except they make tremendous power... i thought about using nitrous to get it spooled up off the line until they are fully spooled.. im just tryin to get some info under my belt before i go blowin money

If you chose the right turbos you wont need nitrous. You're not running a 4 cylinder here! LOL.
Alex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:33 PM   #13
Wild83C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1 View Post
If you chose the right turbos you wont need nitrous. You're not running a 4 cylinder here! LOL.
Excellent advice.

The right combo of parts will yield a streetable driver and more then enough power.

turbo=
Old 03-04-2010, 10:39 PM   #14
Wild83C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatlandbrawler View Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVR...Q5fAccessories check this kit out. a big block would easily provide the airspace for this set up. it allready has a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator. the only things that you would have to buy is or build is the exhaust manifolds. do big block shorty headers and flip them upside down you may have to cut the collector and re tig it to tuck the snails under the hood a little better. this kit is a really good deal though. you can get this kit a little cheaper then that as well. ive seen them go for as cheap as a 1g flat with free shipping. and you might even be able to talk to the guy and tell him you dont want the exhaust manifolds. for cheaper prices ya know. anyways i hope this helps. oh and DEMON makes a production blow through carb allready and its cheaper then sending in a carb to have the base plate vaccum ports added and teflon floats and boost referencing the meteoring blocks to constantly equalize the pressure. you will also need a higher pressure fuel pump. more then your average 6-8 psi fuel pump.
Those turbos are too small for a 454 and I wouldn't put that kit on my vehicle. I also don't recommend Demon carbs, never had much luck with them and I don't know anyone that has. There are much better options for a blow thru carb, a few companies that specialize in blow thrus.

turbo=
Old 03-04-2010, 11:04 PM   #15
midevil1
ShortBus KingPin

If you want your turbo system to fall off.....??? Then use mild steel headers. They WILL crack. Exhaust temps double over a naturally aspirated, nitrous'd and supercharged application. You wont have any problem spooling the turbo's unless you plan on using some smog legal oval port heads from the early 80's.

I ran 10 to 1 compression, 10lbs of boost and water/meth kit. I had 10lbs of boost at 3000 rpms and was dumping the rest. Truck was VERY streetable, but I could get NO traction when the boost came up. That was with the 31/18.5 hoosier cheater slicks on it.

A set of 80mm turbo's like an HX-80 off of a N-14 cummins would work great and are cheap. My experienced opinion...... Here are some videos of my close friends car, who happened to help me with my turbo setup. This car was built in the 2 car garage. EVERYTHING was built by the guy with the skinny get away sticks. This motor is a 598 IHRA ALL-ALUMINUM prostock ford motor. 2800hp.

Last edited by midevil1; 03-04-2010 at 11:26 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:13 PM   #16
midevil1
ShortBus KingPin

My pics and videos of my trucks old setup are on my crashed COMPAQ. Trying to recover everything on that laptop. I will post some pics and vid's of my old setup if I can save the info off the laptop. Lot of memories stuck in that piece of crap laptop......

Old 03-05-2010, 02:36 AM   #17
wheatlandbrawler

hey man you said a start up kit, and considering most big named guys run a PT106 on their big block set ups those two turbos wouldnt be not enough. and you never specified a budget thats why i recomended that carb its cheaper then the blower shop or anywhere else for that matter cuz its mass produced. good luck.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:37 AM   #18
Wild83C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by midevil1 View Post
If you want your turbo system to fall off.....??? Then use mild steel headers. They WILL crack.
Sorry but that is complete crap. I've seen more SS headers crack then mild steel. A lot more work is involved when using SS when making headers. Cheap 304 SS will fall apart. I've seen pleny of instances where mild steel has worked very well from mild 5-600 hp setups to 1500+ setups. Mild steel not working for a turbo setup is a myth. While SS is the better option of the two, it's not the only option.

turbo=
Old 03-05-2010, 01:51 PM   #19
midevil1
ShortBus KingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild83C10 View Post
Sorry but that is complete crap. I've seen more SS headers crack then mild steel. A lot more work is involved when using SS when making headers. Cheap 304 SS will fall apart. I've seen pleny of instances where mild steel has worked very well from mild 5-600 hp setups to 1500+ setups. Mild steel not working for a turbo setup is a myth. While SS is the better option of the two, it's not the only option.
Ok...so why isn't anybody who is anybody using mild steel??? If you are building a junkyard budget build than "YES". mild steel would be logical. His truck looks to be a little nicer than a junkyard build. I only use 316 SS.

Anything smaller then a 76mm on ANY respectable BB will cause drive pressures well over 1.5 to 1. Lots of piston killing heat and burnt exhaust valves......

Turbo's make MAD HP, but there is alot of money to be spent on making it last and be dependable. EGT's, Boost, intake temps, fuel pressure, oil pressure, AFR's, ETC.... should not be guessed at. E85 and a Blow-thru Carb would be the easiest and cheapest route. No type of intake cooling would be needed.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ will be spent no matter what route you choose.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:04 PM   #20
Wild83C10

SS headers, when done right, is the best option (like I said), but mild steel is also a good option. It doesn't have to be a junkyard build. Like I said plenty of big hp/big money engines running mild steel. It all depends what you have available to you and what kind of money you have to spend. My turbo build is far from a junkyard build yet I am using mild steel headers.
I made my statement because you were putting false information out there. Just because you use SS doesn't mean it's the only option. I'm am just trying to provide a all the options with a bias point of view.

turbo=
Old 03-08-2010, 11:59 AM   #21
Heavy383Chevy

Hey sorry to be a thread jacker, but the Ebay link that was posted above for the twin turbo kit. Any one know anything about a kit like this? I emailed a few people that bought the kit off ebay and everyone was happy with their order. One was even a custom shop out of Mississippi. Thinking of getting this kit for my 383.
Heavy383Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:09 PM   #22
wheatlandbrawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy383Chevy View Post
Hey sorry to be a thread jacker, but the Ebay link that was posted above for the twin turbo kit. Any one know anything about a kit like this? I emailed a few people that bought the kit off ebay and everyone was happy with their order. One was even a custom shop out of Mississippi. Thinking of getting this kit for my 383.
i posted the ebay kit, the turbos are small enough that they take alot of thought out of the equation, they dont have the potential to make pro mod numbers but they will put up respectable street level numbers. it comes with a warrantee on all parts as well. the mild steel manifolds may cause a issue but im not sure.... apparently the people on here dont like the kit, i was just making a recomendation without knowing the kids budget. for that price you WILL NOT make even a half assed single turbo kit. its more of a learning kit that will still make decent power.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:10 PM   #23
Wild83C10

If you have some money check out the following link. Some very nice kits.

The ebay (chinese) kits are hit or miss. Just as long as the turbo's are sized properly for what you want to do. You need to determine what your goals are before you can size the turbo or turbos.

turbo=
Old 03-08-2010, 11:38 PM   #24
wheatlandbrawler

those kits are way popular on the turboforums.com on a "stock" small block the thing made almost 700hp at the wheels.... they are solid.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:16 AM   #25
midevil1
ShortBus KingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild83C10 View Post
Sorry but that is complete crap. I've seen more SS headers crack then mild steel. While SS is the better option of the two, it's not the only option.
Ok now I am confused. Which one is the better one again.....

I am guessing the SS being sold up North is that "Chinese" stuff. Since I have built headers for 2000awhp diesel pulling trucks running twice the EGT's that the baddest gas burner could ever produce and NO CRACKS for countless seasons.

SS has a heat tolerance 4 times that of mild steel. Little too No Iron content.

Anyway, I think this thread was about turbo charging a truck.....