The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2019, 12:38 PM   #1
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Re: Wheel Vintiques / JEGS Rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
They are made in the USA, not imported. Guess what wheel is on their homepage. It appears demand is exceeding their manufacturing ability right now.
https://www.wheelvintiques.com/

Assembled in the us however the steel I'd suspect is import
Old 02-23-2019, 12:54 PM   #2
Cooper Restorations

Sorry, I just now read this post... I have a few of the wheels in stock that you need. Give me a call at 765-661-1723 or text. Message me your shipping address, and I can get you a total.
Jeff Cooper
Cooper Restorations
Cooper Restorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 05:32 PM   #3
mr.precision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper Restorations View Post
Sorry, I just now read this post... I have a few of the wheels in stock that you need. Give me a call at 765-661-1723 or text. Message me your shipping address, and I can get you a total.
Jeff Cooper
Cooper Restorations
Can do, Jeff. Just need one 15x7 series 62 with 4" backspace. Will call you to explore. Thanks
Mike
And here's the rest of the story....patiently waiting in my shop.
Attached Images

mr.precision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:44 PM   #4
3757chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.precision View Post
Can do, Jeff. Just need one 15x7 series 62 with 4" backspace. Will call you to explore. Thanks
Mike
And here's the rest of the story....patiently waiting in my shop.
I hope you not still waiting. I remember reading this this thread 6 months ago , but now I have felt your pain. I bought 2 15x8 5 lug steelies at the 1st part of Aug. from Summit. Jegs offered the 15x10 for 10 percent less so after seeing that they ship within 24 hrs I ordered on Sunday. Right away they are on BACKORDER . I call Monday, I'm told Sept.9th they are expected , OK... I can wait..Tuesday they are showing on there web sight that the expected due date is 11-16-19. I called Tuesday and cancelled , that night I ordered @ 9:59 eastern time from Summit ... they were on my porch by 3:10 Today. Their price was within $2.50 with the current promo.
Attached Images

MIKE
3757chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 11:33 AM   #5
mr.precision

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3757chevy View Post
I hope you not still waiting. I remember reading this this thread 6 months ago , but now I have felt your pain. I bought 2 15x8 5 lug steelies at the 1st part of Aug. from Summit. Jegs offered the 15x10 for 10 percent less so after seeing that they ship within 24 hrs I ordered on Sunday. Right away they are on BACKORDER . I call Monday, I'm told Sept.9th they are expected , OK... I can wait..Tuesday they are showing on there web sight that the expected due date is 11-16-19. I called Tuesday and cancelled , that night I ordered @ 9:59 eastern time from Summit ... they were on my porch by 3:10 Today. Their price was within $2.50 with the current promo.
Thanks for reviving this thread, and reminding me that I did not post a final outcome. I thought I did so, but obviously didn't.
The remaining wheel finally showed up in late March. All were promptly painted (once I was sure the two front wheels matched) and installed, as in the picture below.
I have been dealing with some health issues this year, and apologize to the community for not completing this thread.
Attached Images

mr.precision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 01:45 PM   #6
rsavage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQQL IT View Post
Assembled in the us however the steel I'd suspect is import
For what it's worth -
I don't know why they would buy foreign steel since there is a tariff on it at present making it more expensive than domestic. That is why our own steel mills are reopening and ramping up production. I believe their website says "made" in the USA.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 05:56 PM   #7
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
For what it's worth -
I don't know why they would buy foreign steel since there is a tariff on it at present making it more expensive than domestic. That is why our own steel mills are reopening and ramping up production. I believe their website says "made" in the USA.
I'd suspect the tariffs are the main issue here.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:14 PM   #8
HO455
Post Whore

In this world of global industry nothing is as it seems. Prior to last summer US steel was being exported overseas and much of it was processed into a preproduction blanks or other manufacturing ready products. and then reshipped back across the ocean for final manufacturing. This flow of steel (and other commodities) has slowed considerably in the past six months. ( I work in the shipping industry)
Steel and other commodities flow back and forth for many reasons. Sometimes to escape environmental concerns or because certain industries were bought and moved overseas, and other nefarious schemes. At this point to move them back is impossible due to the NIBY folks. Not to mention the cost and time it would take to get them back on line.
Throw in a wild card like the sudden change in tariffs and the supply chain is thrown out of whack.
Are you willing to pay 30% more for each of your new wheels to offset what the manufacturers are having to pay? It is likely WV is delaying and hoping things get back to normal before they have to pay the new tariffs. They most likely over a barrel not of their own making, having to pay the new US tariffs (which are passed through), and the retaliatory Chinese tariffs. Add in the fact there may be no products that fit their needs manufactured in the USA.
Bad times for everyone.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote