The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2020, 06:42 AM   #1
57NAPCO
F’B’D guy

The dash pad matrix...who makes the best?

Over the years on this forum I’ve read a lot of stories about good and not so good products. Since I need 2 of em (possibly 3) I’m trying to wade thru the many companies making/selling them. I know I’m not the only one.

Some come in the OEM colors and some are black and you paint them to your desired color. Some are made overseas and some are here in the good ol’ USA. I’m just trying to get some real life, Up to date feedback...cost is not as much a factor as quality, fit, finish and durability (how long will it last). They are a pain to install and no fun returning to the vendor if they don’t fit or of low quality.

Here are a few I have found... I know darn near everyone of us needs a new dash pad at some point

https://www.tmiproducts.com/chevy/tr...1-87/dash-pads

https://www.usa1industries.com/1973-...h-pads-covers/

https://www.classicindustries.com/sh...nts/dash-pads/

https://www.classicparts.com/Dash-Pads/products/920/

https://www.lmctruck.com/interior/dash-components

https://www.1aauto.com/chevy-gmc-mol...r/i/1aidc00003

https://www.oerparts.com/shop/1987/c...nts/dash-pads/

https://www.brotherstrucks.com/Dash-...products/2251/

https://www.ecklerstrucks.com/interi...dash-pads.html

https://www.cjponyparts.com/dash-pad...991/p/PAD59-V/

https://www.topflightautomotive.com/...direction=desc

I know there might be more and some of these might be the same product, sold under a different company.

Thanks for the feedback and opinions.
57NAPCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:20 AM   #2
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: The dash pad matrix...who makes the best?

I have always heard the USA1 stuff was the way to go for quality and all.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:57 AM   #3
xrcr

There used to be a guy on here that re did the originals. Can't remember his name. Stitch maybe? Also no Idea on cost comparison. Guess I'm really not any help
xrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 10:00 AM   #4
1957 Chief
Proud Vet that loves the USA

I used these folks form my 86 dash pad. Zero issues. Bought last year.
https://www.cheyennepickup.com

Bubba
1957 Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 10:31 AM   #5
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

I am in the market to get a replacement for my '86. I like the USA-1 pads, but the wait time is a little concerning. I am also liking the cheyenne pickup parts pad as well. Either way I am just looking for a solid replacement pad that can withstand the AZ heat...

rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 10:37 AM   #6
57NAPCO
F’B’D guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1957 Chief View Post
I used these folks form my 86 dash pad. Zero issues. Bought last year.
https://www.cheyennepickup.com

Bubba
Thanks Bubba, I missed them.
57NAPCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 01:16 PM   #7
TKCR

USA1 Industries is THE only place that builds them over a metal frame like the OEM. They also have every color for our trucks. Some places only offer a handful of colors, and pretty much all those won’t match very good. And Cheyenne no longer make theirs over a metal frame. The have switched to The urethane frame, to save money.
As for USA1 being slow on the shipping. Their dashes are not mass produced like everyone else’s is. They are dyed in house as the orders come in, same with the door panels. They are a very small company that is having a hard time keeping up with the extreme amount of orders coming in. I ordered my stuff early, I didn’t wait to order and expect to get it the next week. I knew it would take awhile. And it did, 2 months for just the door panels. But it was well worth the wait.
TKCR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 01:58 PM   #8
69GMC910
MOTORHEAD!

I thought cheyenne quit using the metal frame as they blame it for every single GM dash pad cracking?

AFR 265
Holley 850
Performer RPM Air Gap
Hooker 2455's
TCI Turbo 400 Super Street Fighter
TRRC 12 Bolt
Eaton Posi
Mark Williams Axles
Cal-Tracs
Hoosier 30x10.5 Radial Slick
Full weight long box pickup
Current best- 11.33@117mph
69GMC910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 05:57 PM   #9
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GMC910 View Post
I thought cheyenne quit using the metal frame as they blame it for every single GM dash pad cracking?
Not every GM dash pad has cracked, mine hasn’t. That is why most people complain about LMC. Is because they warp and crack in a small amount of time. I have personally seen 2 of LMC dashes warp in a matter of 6 months. Both people had come to my house to pick up a bench seat. The 1st one I saw, I made a comment to him about his dash being warp so bad. He said it fairly new, only 6months old, and he was not happy. The next guy that came, same thing, he a a very warped dash. So I ask that guy, did you buy your new dash from LMC. He said yeah, how did I know? They were both from Michigan so it was not like they are sitting the hot sun all the time. Now Cheyenne would probably say the about the Urethane dash because they know what is being said. Because when they first switched over, there was a post about why someone was not able to get ahold of them to place an order. He was finally able to talk to someone at Cheyenne. This person told them that they weren’t taking any more orders until they had everything switched over to the urethane frames. They were asked why, and they said it was to save money. Although it didn’t seem that they passed those savings to us, the prices went up.

Last edited by TKCR; 02-10-2020 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:00 PM   #10
moregrip

Doesn't dashes direct do vinyl over metal frame as well?

1983 Chevy C10 250/3spd (current project truck)
1976 Chevy C10 350/350 Heavy Half (future project truck)
moregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:06 PM   #11
Bandit130

Mine has no cracks or warps. It is original.

Pic was taken in July 2017 and still looks great since I purchased in July 2015.
Attached Images

Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice
Bandit130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:19 PM   #12
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

T,
i am leaning toward the USA-1 dash, i am guessing by the response that any issue related to money changing & no order delivered is nil? that is my only concern. I did read where the cheyenne dash is now non-metal. I am really wanting a solid dash due to the AZ summer heat! I think in the mean time i am going to try my hand at the refurbashing of my O.G. dash - foam & fiberglass like the you tube videos.... just t osee how it actually works....LOL!!!
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 06:12 AM   #13
72velle

I went with USA1 for my dash pad last year. Perfect fit and color. I bought the complete dash pad with the AC vents and logo already installed.
No problems with the install. The order was slow but I wasn't in a hurry.
I can wait for quality.
72velle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:27 PM   #14
Scott91370

FYI, the TMI do not have speaker holes, in case this is important to you. I was going to buy one because they do look like an well made piece but this stopped me. I'm sure it would be possible to cut the fiberglass backing and put your own in but with the price I was not willing to be the guinea pig.
I'm not sure why anybody would make such a dash, but they do.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:01 PM   #15
1774btcrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GMC910 View Post
I was EXTREMELY disappointed with the Cheyenne truck parts dash pad. I have promoted their dash pads for several years. The one I purchased DID go in great with no trimming. Unfortunately in just over 1 year time the plastic backing warped and it looks almost as bad as the straight urethane dashes. I contacted Anthony at Cheyenne about the problem. All he had to say is I am the only one that has complained and I could send it back. The problem is, that would be on my dime and would take me almost 2 hours to package properly . I sell parts for a living and only sell the absolute best quality, so I feel I put my reputation on the line promoting their product. I was not pleased at all with their customer service. From here on out it is USA 1 dash pads.

1972 Cheyenne Super Short Bed big block "Blackie"
1977 Crew Cab GMC Short bed with 4BT Intercooled Cummins Diesel and a 4L80e "The Junkyard Dog"
1985 Crew Cab Chevy dually with 5.9 Cummins "The Big Dog" This is what my dad liked to be called by the grandkids before he passed so it seems fitting for his old truck.
1774btcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:17 PM   #16
moregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1774btcrew View Post
All he had to say is I am the only one that has complained and I could send it back.
I don't feel that kind of response is ever appropriate, although I've been the recipient of it many times. If I remember right you live in AZ; might be a good opportunity for Cheyenne to refine their product; make it bulletproof........lol......who am I kidding right

1983 Chevy C10 250/3spd (current project truck)
1976 Chevy C10 350/350 Heavy Half (future project truck)
moregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 01:12 PM   #17
rgunlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1774btcrew View Post
I was EXTREMELY disappointed with the Cheyenne truck parts dash pad.
You aren't the only one disappointed with the Cheyenne dash. Mine is rarely out in the sun but I have some pretty bad warping, particularly around the defrost vents. I read quite some time ago that someone had been selling fake Cheyenne dashes on ebay, which is where I ordered mine. I assumed with all the great reviews on this site that I managed to get one of the fakes. Maybe not, but I got it several years ago.

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 02:27 PM   #18
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgunlock View Post
You aren't the only one disappointed with the Cheyenne dash. Mine is rarely out in the sun but I have some pretty bad warping, particularly around the defrost vents. I read quite some time ago that someone had been selling fake Cheyenne dashes on ebay, which is where I ordered mine. I assumed with all the great reviews on this site that I managed to get one of the fakes. Maybe not, but I got it several years ago.
Well that’s not good.
Old 02-13-2020, 02:52 PM   #19
Rich84

I ordered one about 4-5 years ago from Classic Industries. They had both at the time. Urethane or on Steele. Got it with a 20% off coupon and it still looks good.
They did send the wrong one first, which I had to send back for the correct one. Urethane was like a piece of wet lasagna.
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 03:12 PM   #20
1774btcrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgunlock View Post
Mine came directly through Anthony of Cheyenne truck parts at a show. He SWORE to me there were no issues with warping and I believed him! The problem with buying at a show is NO BOX and therefore no way to easily ship it back. I even talked him into being a vendor at the GIT DOWN 2018 because I believed in his products. At the end of the day, I will be better off to sell it and cut my losses. I am pretty picky but this DOES drop almost an inch in the center and has a bad wave by one of the defroster vents. I am sure there are more of us with problems. I may have to start a post to that effect and see how many people actually have a had problems.

1977 Crew Cab GMC Short bed with 4BT Intercooled Cummins Diesel and a 4L80e "The Junkyard Dog"
1985 Crew Cab Chevy dually with 5.9 Cummins "The Big Dog" This is what my dad liked to be called by the grandkids before he passed so it seems fitting for his old truck.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:46 AM   #21
69Tom

Been reading some posts on Facebook regarding the paint flaking off the USA1 dash pads after a relatively short period of time. Anyone having this issue?
69Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:42 AM   #22
72velle

None from mine.
72velle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:54 AM   #23
1774btcrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Tom View Post
Been reading some posts on Facebook regarding the paint flaking off the USA1 dash pads after a relatively short period of time. Anyone having this issue?
I regret not buying from USA 1. I made the mistake of buying a plastic backed Cheyenne truck parts one and it warped in less than a year

Old 08-05-2020, 05:19 PM   #24
kglowacky

Here's my findings on dash pads colors and quality. First let say I have a 1978 Silverado. It has the red 78 interior. the last two part color digits are 11. No one reproduces a #11 color red in a dash pad. Some reproduce the arm rest but that is it, Most dash sellers are selling you a Carmine red color which came out a couple years after 1978 therefore I can not buy one with the 11 red color. as said, Now saying that I was told all dash pads are made by two companies. everyone buys from them ( not sure on the two companies)) but again neither make a 78 #11 red. USA1 buys their dashes from one of these two and buys them all in black. Then they dye them to factory colors therefore my only choice is to have USA1 dye one for me in 78 Red. I talked to them today and they are sending me a sample color for my approval. Very nice people to deal with. They will also sell me dye to match my dash. All good. Will update when I get the sample. Now one more thing they have a 4-6 week lead time on shipping the dash . I am happy with USA1 so far they have been excellent to talk to. PLEASE take this info with some sort of understanding I am only passing on what I heard.
kglowacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:45 PM   #25
Axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott91370 View Post
FYI, the TMI do not have speaker holes, in case this is important to you. I was going to buy one because they do look like an well made piece but this stopped me. I'm sure it would be possible to cut the fiberglass backing and put your own in but with the price I was not willing to be the guinea pig.
I'm not sure why anybody would make such a dash, but they do.
Personally, I'd take one without speaker holes (hey, the real music comes out the tail pipes right? =-) ) In my vehicles, the speaker locations have always been the first thing to succomb to age, crack and fall apart.

Alex.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote