The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-13-2018, 05:35 PM   #1
macdaddy70

area behind kick panel

I have pulled the cowl and cleaned inside cowl and areas behind kick panels as good as I can. The cowl drains are clear, but I am getting water seeping in from the seam where the bottom of the kick panel meets the floor pan. I am thinking of cutting an access panel in the kick panel to see what might be going on. Has anyone done this OR can the kick panels be removed? I want to install carpet, but I need to get this leak stopped. If I just seal the area between the bottom of the panel and floorpan, is that good enough? Can I see this area with the fender removed? Thoughts?
Attached Images

macdaddy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 05:43 PM   #2
notsolo

Re: area behind kick panel

Maybe some other areas that drain into that area too, roof gutter, condinsaton from dash weep holes.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 06:19 PM   #3
88gtstreetrod

I would think you could see it with the fender removed.. Subscribing..I think I have a similar issue..
88gtstreetrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:05 PM   #4
thehata1

mac,

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the epoxy around your drip rails has come loose. Water can seep in the body there and run through a cavity to the area you'r taking about. Look at the interior where the A pillar meets the roof and see if you see rust or discoloration.
thehata1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:14 PM   #5
macdaddy70

Took a couple of photos one of outside at seam above windshield rubber. Appears to be some sealant missing and some rust. The other pic is inside where pillar meets dash and roof. Appears to be ok...some rust, but nothing too bad. I did run water through the cowl and still having issues (did not run over windshield) I will seal up the windshield seam too. Its killing me...I have to see behind this panel to see what is going on.
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2018, 11:32 PM   #6
ryans69chevy

I would remove your outer fender and see if there are any holes where your vents sit. GM built an enclosure for air to run through the cowl and down the cavity to the kick panel vents. I bet there are some rust holes in the bottom of the enclosure that lets water run through and down the outside of your kick panel which then would hit a 90 degree flange and seep in that way. Or like someone else mentioned could be coming down your A pillar which runs down the back of the kick panel. If your drip rails lost the seam sealer, water could enter through there and get to your A pillars.

Like I said I would remove fender and check there and have someone run a hose. Start low and slowly go higher until you see water coming into cab.

Let us know what you find.
ryans69chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:38 PM   #7
Bearhawg

I know I'm reviving an old thread but I have this issue and I have refused to remove the cowl cover and the fender. I'm pretending there is no rot. That said, I removed the vent doors and snaked an air hose and vac until I stopped getting the 48 years of crap that had settled there. The bottom of the kick panel "air box" as I call it is all but gone. floors are rust free except where the kick panel and floor meet but it is minimal. I'm still looking for a replacement air box and will start the repair. I guess I'll have to open up the cowl anyway. My absolute worst nightmare is windshield frame rot.
Bearhawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 04:04 PM   #8
macdaddy70

Turns out mine had rusted at the bottom of the kick panel. I borrowed a bore camera to check inside and make sure it was clean, then I sealed using flex seal. Working so far...time will tell. I will keep it on for a few months before I install carpet to see what moisture gets into cab.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:39 PM   #9
Bearhawg

I would definitely like to hear how the flexseal works for you. I've been considering that fix as myself.
Bearhawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:34 PM   #10
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy70 View Post
Turns out mine had rusted at the bottom of the kick panel. I borrowed a bore camera to check inside and make sure it was clean, then I sealed using flex seal. Working so far...time will tell. I will keep it on for a few months before I install carpet to see what moisture gets into cab.
Get that crap out of there, I suspect it is silicone based and will not stay stuck in place. Then rust gets behind it with it holding water and the issues will multiply 10 fold.

Use something like rubberized underbody coating.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote