The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-13-2013, 08:47 PM   #1
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Question about Steering Wheel painting

I am looking for some input on restored steering wheels. If you were in the market, would you prefer to buy a wheel ready for paint or already painted?

For example, if I have a 67 wheel, I know that most if not all of them were painted fawn beige( I am sure I will be corrected here ) from the factory. With that said, I could have one ready to install. The problem is, does the buyer want that color or something else?

I just want to see what you gentlemen think on the subject.

Thank you,
Tom
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
SS Tim

Re: Question about Steering Wheel painting

Paint to order would probably be the best to keep from having the wrong color or dealing with mixed repair/finish materials by making it a two-person two-step final product.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #3
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Very good point Tim. Like spraying lacquer over someone else's enamel, not a good mix.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:27 PM   #4
weever82

Hopefully Andy will chime in. He recently did a heck of a job on a steering wheel rebuild/paint!
Posted via Mobile Device

Life's tough...... It's even tougher when your stupid - John Wayne
weever82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:35 PM   #5
jocko

If you're restoring one to sell, I would paint it a common color - black, for example. Or fawn for a 67 wheel, as you mention. if it's in good condition and doesn't need crack repair, I wouldn't paint it all, it's probably worth more as is (and that's a lot easier). I'm always lookin around for nice, original, uncracked wheels in any color I think I might EVER use. I have a theory, and in that theory, all 67-72 steerin wheels are cracked and ruined by the year 2019. So, I'm "saving" a few for future builds when I can find them. Don't have any extras right now though!
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:39 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

I wouldn't paint any steering wheel until it was going in a particular interior in a particular color. '67 CST wheels were color-matched to the interior color,such as red,aqua,etc. There was more than one standard color as well.
To paint a wheel properly you'll want to use a bonding enhancer,like Bulldog Adhesion Promoter,before primer and paint. So,you only want to paint it once. With all the wear put on the steering wheel finish I wouldn't recommend painting over in another color.
www.bulldogsticks.com

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #7
Mister-B
Account Suspended

You probably saw my thread where I restored a 67/68 steering wheel. I did a quality job, if I do say so myself. I later ended up finding an additional 67/68 steering wheel, so I decided to sell it on the parts board. Seems like I listed it at $50 as is, or $150 if I restored it and base coated it black and clear coated it. I put pictures of how mine turned out. Nobody was interested in buying it painted, so I sold it as is. If you're gonna paint it, I'd maybe look at selling it on eBay. You're more likely to get someone that doesn't want to/know how to do much work on their truck, and they get impulsive and just bid on it
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:37 PM   #8
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Thank you gentlemen for all the advise. I think I will advertise it as "paint to order" as Tim suggested. I will get it prepped and ready. If I paint it, you will be able to use it for a spare tire and not damage it. Very high quality work and materials will be done on this.

I do appreciate everyone's suggestions. Thank you,
Tom