The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-18-2021, 01:20 PM   #1
69Tom

radio: to restore or convert, that is the question

So, I finally found a correct 1973-1974 AM-FM radio for my 74 C20. It is currently not working, so I need to send it to someone for service.

I guess the question is:
  1. do I restore it back to original condition and purchase a marine subwoofer that has bluetooth so i can play music through and use my iPhone; OR
  2. have the guts converted to a modern radio, complete with an AUX jack, USB port, etc. The only downside to this is, the pushbuttons really are useless. The exterior still looks the same.

I've had a couple radios in other vehicles converted (they were AM radios) to AM/FM with an AUX jack and USB port. The main issue with this is, I've found, that you never know where you are on the radio dial if you're listening to FM, and the new volume and tone controls that are used are never as nice or "solid" feeling as the original stock controls.

I'm definitely leaning towards just having the radio restored to original, as it is an AM/FM (whereas the other radios, I've had converted were just AM).

Any pros/cons with the marine subwoofer? I've seen a couple people here on the forms use one (think it I saw an Infinity).

Also, can anyone recommend a good restorer?
69Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 02:27 PM   #2
kglowacky

Re: radio: to restore or convert, that is the question

I used Austin Radio in downtown Houston. When I say downtown I mean downtown. He has been there forever and the property is worth 100 X for what he makes is my bet Not sure he does restorations but he repaired my OEM radio and did a great job. Check out his website. He is a good person to deal with and quick turn around.
kglowacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 03:04 PM   #3
69Tom

I guess another question is, if I keep the radio stock, does this run an 8 ohm speaker, or can I run modern speakers? That will also determine what I do. Really don't feel like tearing my dash apart and buying new speakers all around.
69Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 08:10 PM   #4
cadillac_al

I don't think those old radios are any good at all. I would convert to at least the 80's four speaker stereo. That was the first decent radio that GM put in their trucks. Myself I would go modern with a 2 shaft stereo with whatever is the hot input nowadays; USB or something.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 08:28 AM   #5
bigschuss

I used R&B Vintage Radio https://www.randbvintageautoradio.com/
for the radio in my 84 K5. Had it done a few years ago. Great workmanship and communication from the owner. At the time I opted for just an aux input. Now I wish had a done USB and Bluetooth.
bigschuss is offline   Reply With Quote