The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Vendor Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2005, 01:10 PM   #1
jakeslim
Premium Level Member

Thumbs down Summit Racing - Horrible Cust Service

Not bad....HORRIBLE.

For several years I've preferred Summit over Jegs...fast shipping, good selection etc. Well that day may have come to an end.
I ordered a set of Hedman hedders and installed them. Turns out the drivers side is warped and won't seal. It looked a little off before installation but who(me) wants to believe that.
I called Summit Racing to request a replacement for the defect. They refused to send me a replacement drivers side. "Can't split up a box, sorry". They did offer me a solution.....buy another set! Are you kidding me?
"Sir, we can send you a new set that we will charge you for, then you can box up the old set and when we get back the other set, we will credit you back". NOT.

Not sure where they went to school for Customer service, but they must have played hooky alot. I spoke to the supervisor. Same answer. Well as the customer, I refused to have this be MY PROBLEM. If Summit is having a problem backing there product, that is THERE PROBLEM. They also offered for me to take them off my truck, box them up and send them in then they would replace. NOT.

SOOOO.....I called HEDMAN HEDDERS directly. The customer service was EXCELLENT. They back their product so I will continue to use them. The guy could not believe SUMMIT was not helping me. He even offered to send me a
replacement, but did not have the one I needed in stock(CA smog). He said they warranty "half" sets all the time and Summit should be able to send me even half a set for replacement. I thanked him and ....

.....called Summit Racing back. Different cust serv rep. Same answer. At this point I'm done talking to these "lower" level guys who are reading script.
I ask for someone that can fix this(anyone other than those I've spoken too).

The next guy answers and gets my story(I'm upset). He then says he will send out a set (no charge) and I can send back the defective part. WHAT? THEY AGREED TO TAKE CARE OF A CUSTOMER, NOT MAKE THE CUSTOMER TAKE CARE OF THE PROBLEM THEMSELVES?!?!?!? PRAISE THE LORD!

Closing to review:
I can understand policy that limits liability and "shrink"(retail loss), but I just received these and was easily within a credible story time window if one was to exist. Anyways, HEDMAN gets a thumbs up for a no questions asked approach to fix the problem. Hedman, again, could not believe that Summit would not send me a part since they(hedman) has a great warranty program. Summit Racing needs to review there handling of this problem. DEFECTIVE PARTS ARE NOT THE CUSTOMERS PROBLEM. NEVER. If there is risk to sending out a replacement, its not the customers risk, its SUMMITS.

Sorry, been in retail to long to know that I'm right here.

later.

77 K5 - 383, auto, 6" lift, D60 front, 14b rear, 39" tsl's,
jakeslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 04:24 PM   #2
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

That doesn't sound like Summit Racing. Last week I broke a Powermaster starter in halve and they sent me a new one, even though it was out of warranty. I explained to them that the truck hasn't even been finished yet and has only been started a few times, they said no problem, send it back and we'll replace it. Guess what? I received a brand new one......10 minutes ago!! (honest)
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 05:19 PM   #3
arkracing
Weekend Warrior

I have to agree with Randy on this as well - that doesn't sound like them @ all.
how long ago did you buy the headers??

I had an issue with them on the last purchase with them. I ordered a set of .040 Forged Speed Pro Pistons for my 396 from them and they only had one set in thier arizona warehouse...so i had them with matching rings overnighted to me because my shop wanted them to do the final hone on the block. And they gave them to me for Jeg's price since they were lower

Anyway i got the shipment and the box was all taped up as well as the box for the rings.

I took a look @ the pistons and some A**hole tryed to "balance" them by grinding the bottom portion of the piston under the ring lands...and they didn't even do a good job. they were all hacked up and not even or anything.

So I called up Summit and told them - and they were like we won't be getting another shipment for 3 weeks for those or something like that. I told them that that wouldn't be acceptable. they got on the phone with Federal Mogul (Makes SpeedPro Stuff) and had a new set of pistons and rings overnighted to me directly from Federal Mogul, and they even sent me back a prepaid frieght sticker to send the bad ones back with.

I will say that they did charge my card twice for the pistons and credited it back when they got the old ones back..shipping took 3 days (i tracked the old ones back) and on the same day they arrived back @ summit i called them and told them i wanted my card credited back again and they did it.

Sorry for your experience (and yes you were right and they should have fixed it asap)....That was the first problem I've ever had with them and they fixed it
-'69 Chevy C30 Mason Dump

-'33Ford P/U 396ChevyPowered

Last edited by arkracing; 06-29-2005 at 05:21 PM.
arkracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 09:48 PM   #4
chevy72blu

Im supprised as well... I've yet to have any issues with them.

'72 C20 SWB convert. 5 lug, LS1/4l60e
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 01:34 AM   #5
jakeslim
Premium Level Member

Yeah, i've purchased from them for years and never an issue, then this. All it takes is that one time to lose a customer though.
I would not let them charge me twice just to cover themselves. Sorry, but they are a mail order company and exchanges are part of the risk. I've worked catalog and internet businesses many time in my retail career(at corp level) and this is absurd.
Funny how something like this poisons your perception of a place and makes you want to spread the word.

Sorry but after speaking with 4 people to just get it resolved is just plain wrong. I'll try Jegs next time.
Oh to the post above how long I've had the headers, got them late last week.

Old 06-30-2005, 03:31 AM   #6
Tim240Z

I have had similar issues with Summit recently. I had used them for years and have always had excellent service, until recently!!
I needed a set of panhard rod bushings for my 71 3/4 ton C20. They sent the wrong ones (1/2 ton). At this point I had removed the old bushings, so my truck was down. Called back....They would not pay for the shipping back. No way, no how....I had to pay, then they would credit me back at some point down the road. Well, I was was desperate, so I called them and ordered the correct bushings (again). They said that they were out of stock on the Energy Sus. units, but could supply Prothane...I said fine, just make sure that they are for the 3/4 ton (I repeated this 4 or 5 times). Received the new bushings.....%#$@& 1/2 ton bushings again!!! I was absolutely furious. I called Prothane directly....they don't even make 3/4 ton bushings!!!! No help at all from Summit. I ended up ordering from a local supplier, which was a special order and took about a week to get.
Summit has definitely gone downhill lately...they really, really suck now!!!!!

Sold: 71 Cheyenne 20
Installed a 99 5.7L L31/4L60E from Suburban 1500 (2005)
Tim240Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 09:17 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

On this original issue.All Summit wanted was for you to return it,then they`ll send out another set.Or,Buy another set,then return bad set and get refund(why do it that way unless you need to drive the truck until new ones arrive?).You only paid for one set,you only get one set.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 11:04 AM   #8
PRUNEDA
'87

I've never had any problems with them at all. Whenever i need to return something i just send it back and wait for the replacement.
PRUNEDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 02:08 PM   #9
see ten
WTB this ad

Sorry to hear about your experience. Summit has always taken care of me in the past and I will more than likely continue to use them in the future. Nice move bypassing the problem and going straight to the Manufacturer. You never know what it will take to resolve an issue.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 02:11 PM   #10
jakeslim
Premium Level Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K
On this original issue.All Summit wanted was for you to return it,then they`ll send out another set.Or,Buy another set,then return bad set and get refund(why do it that way unless you need to drive the truck until new ones arrive?).You only paid for one set,you only get one set.
1)Sure I could have removed them, find a new box(threw out old), packed them up, call them back to arrange UPS, wait till they receive, they send me replacement , i reinstall.

2)Sure I could have let them charge me for another replacement set. They send. I remove defective side, install new replacement, package up and call them to arrange UPS pickup and for a refund to charges.

Whats wrong with both of these options? I am managing there problem. They need to do the work, risk the replacement shipping, and yes and hope I send back. That is not my problem. I am not the business owner. They have established a ZERO liability customer service rule and cover themselves at expense to customer service.
I would believe that they do not understand what they lose in customers by doing this since it is difficult to measure a metric such as this. Sure they save on some parts of the balance sheet, but they are losing on the other. ONE rule of business is that business is built on return customers.

I chose this option:

3) They send out a new set immediately at no charge(ransom), I remove defective side and replace in box, call for pickup. Done.

I will always insist on 3. They can and will do it because bottom line there is a break point where any business fears losing customers. It just amazes me how difficult it is with Summit.
The phone converstations were shallow, not helpful(tone), "it was my problem", and there was nothing else they could do. I challenged them and at the right level achieved ....................customer service.

By the way I'm over this now, but yesterday i was fuming! LOL

Old 06-30-2005, 04:45 PM   #11
Tim240Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeslim
1)Sure I could have removed them, find a new box(threw out old), packed them up, call them back to arrange UPS, wait till they receive, they send me replacement , i reinstall.

2)Sure I could have let them charge me for another replacement set. They send. I remove defective side, install new replacement, package up and call them to arrange UPS pickup and for a refund to charges.

Whats wrong with both of these options? I am managing there problem. They need to do the work, risk the replacement shipping, and yes and hope I send back. That is not my problem. I am not the business owner. They have established a ZERO liability customer service rule and cover themselves at expense to customer service.
I would believe that they do not understand what they lose in customers by doing this since it is difficult to measure a metric such as this. Sure they save on some parts of the balance sheet, but they are losing on the other. ONE rule of business is that business is built on return customers.

I chose this option:

3) They send out a new set immediately at no charge(ransom), I remove defective side and replace in box, call for pickup. Done.

I will always insist on 3. They can and will do it because bottom line there is a break point where any business fears losing customers. It just amazes me how difficult it is with Summit.
The phone converstations were shallow, not helpful(tone), "it was my problem", and there was nothing else they could do. I challenged them and at the right level achieved ....................customer service.

By the way I'm over this now, but yesterday i was fuming! LOL
Amen Brutha!!!

Sold: 71 Cheyenne 20
Installed a 99 5.7L L31/4L60E from Suburban 1500 (2005)
Tim240Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 08:48 PM   #12
special-K
Special Order

Good Luck!Ever done it before with any other business?Summit didn`t make the headers.They didn`t cause the problem.They are boxed at Headman.Of course Headman will back it up better,they made them.Ever heard of scammers?I`m sure Summit has,there`s two sides to look at.#1 would be the standard solution.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 06-30-2005, 09:03 PM   #13
krue
Designated A-hole!

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K
Good Luck!Ever done it before with any other business?Summit didn`t make the headers.They didn`t cause the problem.They are boxed at Headman.Of course Headman will back it up better,they made them.Ever heard of scammers?I`m sure Summit has,there`s two sides to look at.#1 would be the standard solution.
Read the rules posted above. He stated his opinion of Summit, you're posting an
opinion of ...?

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 10:56 PM   #14
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

Today I received a card in the mail from Summit stating that they credited $20 back to my credit card, I guess it was to cover me shipping the broken starter back to them, didn't say. I wasn't even expecting it. Every time I order a part from them I get Summit Racing stickers in the box. I probably have over 100 of them stuck on my cabinet.
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 12:35 AM   #15
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

thats happens when you live in a old chicken town like petaulma
casa grande 76

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 02:25 AM   #16
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

Nothing to do with your problem with Summit...LMAO!

I have never had a problem with Summit or Jegs but I do have a problem with Greg Anderson taking Jason Line's car everytime he beats Greg. What does Jason get out of this? A night with Greg's wife, I hope! I will start using Summit again when they stop sponsoring Greg Anderson.

Sorry...I just had to voice my complaint about Summit somewhere and this seemed like a good place to jump on a passing band wagon....ROFLMAO! It has been a slow weekend...and to top things off...TONY STEWART WON...Boo Hoo!
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)

Last edited by stllookn; 07-03-2005 at 02:26 AM.
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 03:41 AM   #17
jakeslim
Premium Level Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70blowngmc
thats happens when you live in a old chicken town like petaulma
casa grande 76

yeah, probably comes up on there computer as "P"etaluma, right next to "p"ushover

Old 07-31-2005, 02:50 AM   #18
Hotrod70C10
Low & Slow

I've never had a problem with summit.
I was actually credited for "handling" from one of my orders. I forgot to order a couple of small parts and made another order the same day. Lucky for me everything I have gotten is free of problems.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:56 PM   #19
PHOENIX

Thats how a business has to do it.
What would stop someone from claiming something is defective if you don't have to send it back?
Jegs did that same thing to me with a new Edelbrock QJet.
I received the carb, installed it, the filter nut was stripped and leaking fuel all over.
I called them up, they said I could ship it back and they would ship out a new one.
Or I could buy a new one right now and they would credit me the return shipping and carb cost when they received it.
I bought a new one, they send it overnight, I returned the bad one and they credited me the carb cost and return shipping.

Summit screwed me on a March power steering bracket setup.
Summit will not allow returns if the part has been installed.
Well I installed the bracket setup and something wasn't right.
When I tried to tighten the belt it was rough, not a smooth action.
I called Summit and had to speak with a few people, ended up
returning it. They said they never had a problem with March pulleys
and would only credit me 80% of the cost because I installed it.
Pissed me off, but I didn't have time to play their games.

On other Summit returns I was credited the handling fee also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeslim
I would not let them charge me twice just to cover themselves. Sorry, but they are a mail order company and exchanges are part of the risk. I've worked catalog and internet businesses many time in my retail career(at corp level) and this is absurd.
Tell me where so I can buy two things for the price of one.
What happens if the seller never receives the defective part?
Would the seller charge their credit card for the second item?
That's worse than charging it up front, at least they are told.
I can't count how many times someone told us they received the
wrong part or its damaged. We tell them to ship it back and we'll
get a new one shipping ASAP. Never got the damaged one back.
So we started the same policy as this, you return it and we'll ship
you a new one or you pay for another one and we will credit you
when we receive it. One out of 10 will pay or return the item.
Sounds like a bunch of people trying to get something for free.
People like you and I pay the cost for people trying this scam.
I am in no way saying you are scamming, but how does Summit
know? They can't just ship you out a brand new set without
getting the old ones back so they get their money from the
manufacturer. It just doesn't make sense for them.

I like Summit much better than Jegs.
Summit has more in stock and gets it to me faster.
Summit (Nevada) is closer to me so I get stuff in like 3-days,
were Jegs (Ohio) would take 1-1/2 weeks.

Last edited by PHOENIX; 08-22-2005 at 02:12 PM.
PHOENIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:56 PM   #20
magooster
'65 GMC Project

I used to manage the parts department in a large retail chain. I tried the "honour" system with an upset customer who insisted the battery we sold him was defective, but he didn't want a replacement, he wanted a refund, but he needed the battery to get his car (it still ran) to get to the competition to buy one of their batteries. I decided to wash my hands of the guy and let him be somebody elses problem (because his problem was going to reoccur with the competitions battery IMO) So I made him happy, refunded the A$$hole's money and he promised to return the battery after he had purchased a new one. HE NEVER CAME BACK. Last time I ever gave anybody the benefit of the doubt. It's dishonest people like that guy that ruin it for us honest guys.
magooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 06:32 PM   #21
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

too many bad apples out there to just send parts out whenever someone says something is bad. i've never had any problems out of Summit, or Jegs for that matter. it appears that you just dont like their policy, which is actually very fair to both parties.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 12:01 AM   #22
jakeslim
Premium Level Member

a couple of thoughts to add:

1) I got a new set shipped out to me at no cost to me. I boxed up defective set and UPS guy came back the next day to pickup. My credit card was never charged.

2) I know the bad side of retail, i've worked it at store mgr, regional mgr and national mgr level for two companies. I know shrink and the challenges to control it.

3) Yet when I make a call and get treated like a liar within the first few seconds I have issue. At no time was there proper difusion of the situation like good retail service requires. No "Sorry sir, lets see how we can work this out..".

4) When I talked to the HEDMAN rep, he could not believe Summit would not send me out a replacement driverside header, since he says they always cover this type of thing with a FACTORY CREDIT to their dealers. Yes, Summits *ss is covered, all it would have taken was a partial shipment of parts.

5) I expect good treatment, no "common" or "thats the way it is" treament in my life. Funny how we get what we expect out of life. Refer back to point 1.
I also treat people fairly and honestly until they give me reason otherwise.

The fact is I'll probably buy from them at some time, hell i've bought tons of stuff from them. It should be in their pretty little computer. Perhaps they could have referenced my history before "doubting" my customer intentions.

Old 08-30-2005, 12:39 PM   #23
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by krue
Read the rules posted above. He stated his opinion of Summit, you're posting an
opinion of ...?
See #s 7,12,19,20,And 21.

Tim

Old 09-05-2005, 09:15 PM   #24
corn

Same sort of deal for me but ended up fine. I ordered a set of shortie bbc headers for my truck. I painted them & tried to install them only to find out they werent going to fit at all. I called them told them my problem & customer service told me to send them back for exchange on the correct ones. It was no issue at all, they never even said anything about me painting them. I say call & get a return #, send them back & they will get you a new set. The refund deal is just a way for them to make sure you both get what you need...corn
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 11:18 AM   #25
97silv5.7
MooMoo

I placed an order with them on monday morning, by 12:00 pm wednesday the order was at my door, Im impressed, and probably will order again.
Support the Board! Or deal with me foo!
Its all fun and games till you find out shes 16.
97silv5.7 is offline   Reply With Quote