The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2024, 05:27 PM   #1
Eagle Kammback

Under bed fuel tank, front of bed?

Yeah, I know fuel tanks have been covered to hell and back here, but I can't find this answer specifically.
I really wanna switch to fuel injection, but I don't want a high pressure pump inside the cab with me. I also don't like the idea of my tank being behind the rear axle in case of rear end collision, plus I wanna put my spare there, plus weight balance, less wiring, less fuel line, etc.
My truck is a 72 C25 2WD long bed, stock height, and she has the auxiliary tank on each side, so I'd also like the fuel filler location to be on those doors (maybe one filler on each side?)
I'm assuming people don't do this because mostly the short beds are modified, but I also love the utility of my long bed.
If this isn't possible, what would you recommend? The Boyd and Holley tanks are wildly expensive, and I wanna still use the factory fuel gauge.
I've heard of people using 80s 25 gallon Blazer tanks, but what all is needed to hang it? I also assume I'd have to have another hole cut out for the sending unit in addition to the pump.
Thanks y'all
Eagle Kammback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 06:03 PM   #2
cj847

Re: Under bed fuel tank, front of bed?

In my mind you can put a tank anywhere it can fit.

With that said, I feel tanks inc has the best deals on tanks of all sizes. Also there are sending unit available for all the tanks that send the correct signal for your C10 gauge.

https://www.tanksinc.com/
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 06:14 PM   #3
dsy1

I have a '71 C20 long bed (also in San Diego). I kept my stock behind-the-seat tank and one aux tank on the driver's side under the front of the bed. To get the high pressure for fuel injection I used an Edelbrock EFI fuel sump (look up Edelbrock 36031 or 36032). I mounted the sump on the radiator core support under the hood on the driver's side (opposite side from the battery). My regular 6psi mechanical fuel pump feeds the sump, the sump contains the high pressure pump to push it up to 50-60. It can run without a return line which saves some plumbing. I am satisfied with it so far. No need to change senders or fuel gauge. Probably about the same price as a new fuel tank and likely less work.
dsy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 07:29 PM   #4
Eagle Kammback

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsy1 View Post
I have a '71 C20 long bed (also in San Diego). I kept my stock behind-the-seat tank and one aux tank on the driver's side under the front of the bed. To get the high pressure for fuel injection I used an Edelbrock EFI fuel sump (look up Edelbrock 36031 or 36032). I mounted the sump on the radiator core support under the hood on the driver's side (opposite side from the battery). My regular 6psi mechanical fuel pump feeds the sump, the sump contains the high pressure pump to push it up to 50-60. It can run without a return line which saves some plumbing. I am satisfied with it so far. No need to change senders or fuel gauge. Probably about the same price as a new fuel tank and likely less work.
I didn't even know about those! Hmmm
Though I do wanna free up some room in the cab.

Also, how long you been in Sam Diego? I left in 2019 and just forgot to update it as I've moved, she's been driven all over the country almost, now in Indy
Old 03-19-2024, 09:01 PM   #5
dsy1

I'm one of the rare ones who was born here and have been in San Diego all my life, except for a few years away during graduate school (Purdue Univ). I get to drive and wrench all year long without worrying about the weather.
dsy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 11:33 AM   #6
kwmech

Never looked close enough on a truck with a regular bed. However I installed a tank on my flatbed. Only about 8-1/2'' deep but it is 27w by 47 long. Holds about 45 gallons. Tank was made by Ricks Tanks out of Texas. They do nice work --all Stainless Steel with sender and mounting straps
Attached Images

kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 03:49 PM   #7
sixty8HDC30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
Never looked close enough on a truck with a regular bed. However I installed a tank on my flatbed. Only about 8-1/2'' deep but it is 27w by 47 long. Holds about 45 gallons. Tank was made by Ricks Tanks out of Texas. They do nice work --all Stainless Steel with sender and mounting straps
That looks great. Would you send me any more pics of how you mounted the bed to the frame? As well as the gas tank mounting points. I have a 157" C30 that I need to come up with a better mounting system for the bed than what it currently has. I also want to move the gas tank to where yours is mounted in the future.
sixty8HDC30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 04:41 PM   #8
LS short box

Just a thought but using a typical rear mount gas tank but adding a piece a 3"x 1/4" wall tubing as crash bar between the rear frame rails?
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 11:08 AM   #9
kwmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty8HDC30 View Post
That looks great. Would you send me any more pics of how you mounted the bed to the frame? As well as the gas tank mounting points. I have a 157" C30 that I need to come up with a better mounting system for the bed than what it currently has. I also want to move the gas tank to where yours is mounted in the future.
That is exactly what I have. 69 GMC 157'' wb truck that used to be a class B motor home. Luckily they didn't cut the hole through the back of the cab. If you look at the picture, you can see the bed going down to the frame rails where I bolted a piece of folded 1/4'' plate to a factory frame hole with a 5/8'' bolt. Then I welded the riser to that. I also cut almost 2' off the back of the frame and still ended up with a 10' long bed. I'll post up a few more pics in the next day or so. Here's a couple for now, while it was in progress
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2024, 12:19 PM   #10
sixty8HDC30

Quote:
That is exactly what I have. 69 GMC 157'' wb truck that used to be a class B motor home. Luckily they didn't cut the hole through the back of the cab. If you look at the picture, you can see the bed going down to the frame rails where I bolted a piece of folded 1/4'' plate to a factory frame hole with a 5/8'' bolt. Then I welded the riser to that. I also cut almost 2' off the back of the frame and still ended up with a 10' long bed. I'll post up a few more pics in the next day or so. Here's a couple for now, while it was in progress
Thanks!
Very nice looking truck you have there. Mine is super similar, mine also has had the rear of the frame cut so the flat bed is I think about 9.5' long. I plan to copy the way you mounted your bed.
Old 03-21-2024, 02:52 PM   #11
kwmech

It was a little bit of a job removing the motor home pieces. When they installed the unit there was a considerable amount of welding to the frame that I had to cut off and smooth over to get it stripped down. Here's another in progress pic
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2024, 03:07 PM   #12
kwmech

Couple of more pics. Seems I lost a folder of pictures somewhere, just took these. I put in a class V receiver while I was at it, b'cuz..why not.
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2024, 08:17 PM   #13
TobyArnot
Quit if it's not FUN!!!

Old pics , but still valid.
Attached Images

Spend all you've got,
Late in life, you'll think of the things you didn't do, not the things you did. - Get out and experience life !
Robbie Robinson a.k.a. TobyArnot (Toe Bee or not toe bee)
TobyArnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 05:54 PM   #14
'68OrangeSunshine

I have a Marine Buddy who used to have a '68 C/3500 GMC Flatbed. A regular beast.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 09:13 PM   #15
sixty8HDC30

Quote:
Couple of more pics. Seems I lost a folder of pictures somewhere, just took these. I put in a class V receiver while I was at it, b'cuz..why not.
Thanks, I appreciate it.
Old 03-24-2024, 10:53 AM   #16
Eagle Kammback

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyArnot View Post
Old pics , but still valid.
Dang! Howany gallons is that?
Old 03-24-2024, 12:22 PM   #17
kwmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Kammback View Post
Dang! Howany gallons is that?
Knowing basic step side dimensions I'd guess in the 40 gallon range. Pretty cool set-up
Old 03-24-2024, 07:31 PM   #18
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Knowing basic step side dimensions I'd guess in the 40 gallon range. Pretty cool set-up
I think Northern Tool in MN sells those. Look up that model in their catalog, and you should find the specs.

I have a vintage stepside cross-sill tool box on my Orange '68 C/10. I keep a 5 gallon Justrite safety can in there for reserve gas. I have to remember to change it out every October.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 07:03 AM   #19
TobyArnot
Quit if it's not FUN!!!

Toolbox is a standard 48” wide with modified hinges. Actual tank is a 19 gal. Fuel cell with a 12” extension added. Total capacity is about 27 gals. Mounted on rubber “donuts” and homemade straps. Lid heights is just below bedsides. I have since sold that truck but would love to find and buy it back. Crate 350 with 200R4 O.D. Drove from upstate S.C. to Daytona and back on one fill up.
Attached Images

Spend all you've got,
Late in life, you'll think of the things you didn't do, not the things you did. - Get out and experience life !
Robbie Robinson a.k.a. TobyArnot (Toe Bee or not toe bee)
TobyArnot is offline   Reply With Quote