The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2010, 03:24 AM   #1
Coreyterry

Project cotton ball

I have a 1967 pickup 3/4 ton. i am 18 and currently have no job. i get my parts from doing work for a family friend who owns a towing truck company. i purchased this from my unlce who used to drive for the cotton gyn he worked for. i had been sitting out in a field rusting away for almost 20 years. there was no motor to start so i had to go pick one out from a guy i knew in the mountains. he told me the the block was running at the time. well i soon found out that he was infact wrong. it had a seven in crack right below the head. i never got a picture of it, i was highley pissed at the time. i had to go get a sad 305 out of a camaro. the best thing about this motor is its a built motor and will do a little better then stock. i worked of a complete front end and rear end setup for my truck. they are off of a 77 gmc pickup. the hole setup gave me about a 2" lift which i did not intend but whatever. i also replased my granny 4 speed four a built turbo 400. i had to find a new seat and bought a shifter for the tranny. it still needs alot of work and will probably have alot of questions regarding metal fabrication and such. i will get some pictures up tommarow of the truck and everything i've done.
Coreyterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:47 AM   #2
Coreyterry

Re: Project cotton ball

high again well it seems my camera takes to big of pictures so i will reseize them later but if you want to see them heres a link to my myspace page for my truck haha http://www.myspace.com/515515078
Old 01-25-2010, 05:44 PM   #3
Coreyterry

Smile Re: Project cotton ball

well as promiced pics of the beast. so far i have managed to replace the front end, convereted it to disk brakes, i replaced the rear end, its a dana 44 rear end out of a 77 gmc. i put a floor shifter in to shift the 400 trans. changd out the old douglass workbed to a 70 chevy bed. changed the old seat out for one that still needs to be replased.

plans for this truck are to replace the motor with a 350 motor, rims still have desided yet but swaying more towards stocks silverado rims. for paint i considered either white or smoke grey "trying for the stock but not so stock look". plan on replacing the bed and completely redoing the interior. would like to relocate the gas tank but dont know yet. the top a-arms need to be replaced on both sides. plan on throwing in a radio and some speakers and maybe even a couple subs. will have a parts list of what i want up later and more pics of progress.

this is before i tore into the front end ran real good too.

this is with the new motor and front end in.

this is the truck when i first got it.

nice interior aint it.

worst rust spot in the hole trick fortunatley, the hole rocker panel and floor will need to be replased

my dads sore attempt at fixing the bed

heres another

th-400
Old 01-30-2010, 02:53 AM   #4
Coreyterry

well finally got my truck started today. figured out it was the starter that was the problem. if you read my post "starter wont stop" then you'll know what happend. but i got it fixed and is now started and running. now my problem is my brakes haha. i will definatly be back with questions about them. no new pics but plan on doing the body work and maybe even a coat of primer in the near future but for now im focused on keeping it from running threw my house.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:06 AM   #5
OARNGESI

pretty nice project my first one of these was a 67 swb is that a gun rack in the back window are you keeping it 3/4 ton
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:34 AM   #6
Coreyterry

haha yah it is. my uncle put it there i guess. yes im keeping it 3/4 ton, even though its not really worth it. but its just a work truck for now. till im old and grey then itll be a project for me and the grand kids

Last edited by Coreyterry; 01-30-2010 at 03:35 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:00 AM   #7
Coreyterry

well my young mind wondered into well onto summit racing and made a wishlist so ill post some pics and specs for a few things i'd like to do to this truck.

Engine 350
4-bolt main block with 1-piece crankshaft seal
* Passenger side dipstick
* Align-honed
* Blueprinted cast iron crankshaft
* Chevy heavy-beam connecting rods with 150,000 bolts
* Hypereutectic pistons
* Hastings moly rings
* Melling oil pump
* Hydraulic camshaft and lifters
* Double roller timing chain set
* Performance aluminum cylinder heads with 2.02 in. intake and 1.60 in. exhaust valves
* Brass freeze plugs
* Oil pan, valve covers, and timing cover
* Dyno-tested

intake manifold
Stock/OEM standard deck
Carburetor Quantity Single
Intake Style Dual plane
Basic Operating RPM Range 1,500-6,500
Intake Finish Natural
Intake Material Aluminum
EGR No
Quantity Sold individually.
Notes Nitrous bosses, rear water outlets, two distributor clamp locations. Temperature sending unit boss clears all water necks. No provision for exhaust-heated chokes. No exhaust crossover.

ignition
Computer-Controlled Compatible No
Trigger Style Magnetic
Advance Type Vacuum and mechanical
Cap Style Male/HEI
Mechanical Tach Drive No
Slip Collar No
Gear Material Iron
Ignition Box Required No
Distributor Rotor Rotation Clockwise
Distributor Cap Color Red
Housing Material Cast aluminum
Housing Finish Polished
Quantity Sold individually.
Notes The shaft diameter on this distributor is .491 in..
Marine Use No
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2010, 04:06 AM   #8
Coreyterry

i want to have the trans rebuilt and have allison gears put in it for towing capability. its a 400 so i know it can handle it but my grandfather did his and he loves it. the only thing i realy want to do as far as looks is maybe a billet grill and a cowl induction hood.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:51 AM   #9
Coreyterry

well got it out and went for a quik test drive. so wasnt ready. p/s pump went out. brakes were squishy so had to buy another master cylinder. got em' bled and work fine now. there alittle touchy now but i quess thats how there suppost to be. next thing to do now is find a job. after i get it tagged my gpa has a s/b in the mountains so i can do pretty much the hole truck. i might wait though till i can afford new windows so i dont have to worry about demolishing whats left of the one thats on there now. the lgue is starting to split the window so i def need a new one. hopefully to do everything wont be to much. have a freind who decided to help out with primer. i gotta get the body work done so we can lay it on. i believe the beds a lost cause and will mroe then likely just scrap it and buy a new one, well one in better shape.

i do have question about the beds, did 67-68 beds come with wood beds or was it just an option?

for now i have to work one getting another p/s pump and a job. insurance quotes are threw the roof for this old thing it crazy!!! but thats life i suppose.

Last edited by Coreyterry; 02-01-2010 at 04:52 AM.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:53 AM   #10
Coreyterry

oh and the gun rack is forever lost in the pit of metal that is the scrap yard
Old 02-01-2010, 05:11 AM   #11
Coreyterry

heres the shifter b&m unimatic.

the new seat in. its out of a 78 gmc so doesnt quit fit. plan on bucket seats later on though.

was hoping to get rid of this heavy thing but cant afford anything better so im stuck with it for now.

got most of the dash primered. need to finish sandin it and then a coat of dark blue.

heres the seat that came with it. is this original in the 67 or no?? ive looked up seat covers and what not and all ive found for 67 are bucket seats. is that what cam in the 67's?

rust in the rocker panel and front fender. how hard is it to cut and replace the metal in the fender? im just going to replace the r/p but i dont realy want to buy a hole new fender for one little spot of rust yah know.

storage for all my keep parts =]. doubles as a scrap bin to now.

well ill get some more up in a few days hopefully i'll get some of it outside so i can get the hole truck.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:53 AM   #12
OARNGESI

That seat is the right one most people just make about the buddy buck seats that came in these trucks the beds came either way wood or metal
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:41 AM   #13
phipp13
THE DAMN YANKEE

corey, it looks like you got a handle on it. keep at it. thats real cool you rockin it old skool @ 18 yrs old! most guys your age would not even give that truck a 2nd look. you will find all the info you need to rebuild your truck right here on this site. my 72 looked much worse than your 67 and it's comming along. NEVER GIVE UP!!! PHIPP
phipp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:35 PM   #14
Coreyterry

haha thanks phipp, seems like everytime i turn around though somthings going out on it. oh well i suppose thats old parts for you. i love these old pickups. my dad had a 71 and i hated it when he had to sell it. if i can find a pic of it ill put it up later.

some bad news, the master cylinder is no good and will need to replace it again.
my power steering pump is leaking now also, so i need to take it apart and figure out whats rong with it.

anyone hiring in the bako area haha, need a job bad.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:38 PM   #15
Coreyterry

here it is this is my dads old chevy. i also have a 1960 dodge, its a peice of s*** though haha. but its a classic i suppose.

thats the bed that was on mine but he traded my uncle for it because it was in better shape
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2010, 12:31 AM   #16
VA72C10
VA72C10

any more progress?
Old 04-06-2010, 02:37 AM   #17
Coreyterry

been really buisy trying to find a job and get through with school. but yes as a matter of fact there is. i got it tagged insured and drove it a couple times. but about 15 problems have occured since i drove it last. the carb went out, my trany slips, the motor is over heating, my rear main seal is out, the upper a arms are about to fall off, my heater wont come on anymore(got it to turn on once but then it did a loud scream thing and shut off). over all i have alot of bugs to get worked out in it. i am really crazy trying to find a job. i do all the work i can for friends and family but the problems that have been occuring lately are costing me more money than i can make. but i do have pictures. i'll get em uploaded tommarrow after i get done with a job im doing.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:11 AM   #18
Coreyterry

well carburator went out about 2 days ago and i ran out of money thinking it was the distributor and couldnt pay my insurance. so now its parked and i plan on doing the body work while i can. anyone in bakersfield?? could use the help.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:03 AM   #19
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

Well looks like you got a good one, you got the best year anyway

Killer
Spray-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote