The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2019, 08:39 PM   #1
zac

Gaskets—carbureted 350 with Vortec heads

I’m going to have lots more questions before this is done.

Again, junkyard motor, ‘89 Iroc Camaro roller block with ‘97 062 Vortecs. I got spoiled all those years just ordering the $50 Felpro engine gasket set for my old school small blocks. No such thing seems to exist for this combo. It occurs to me that what I’m building is an inboard marine engine, but I haven’t seen a full gasket set for one of those that seems appropriate. Piecing together all the gaskets individually looks expensive. And on the intake gaskets I assume we still require the Felpro MS 98000T? I guess this doesn’t require any special head gasket, and from what I can tell GM didn’t use the steel shim gasket with Vortecs. Knocking the compression down a bit from 9.3 with a composite rebuilder gasket for use in my K20 is probably OK. I will be running an Edelbrock 7116 intake and an AFB or AVS.

Basically I’m trying to figure out if it’s best to buy the gasket set for a Vortec engine or the Camaro. Or something else.
zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 11:08 PM   #2
truckster

Re: Gaskets—carbureted 350 with Vortec heads

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why wouldn't the Vortec set work? You'd get some extra gaskets you don't need, but it should include the head gaskets, intake, and valve cover gaskets. Or, if it's a better deal, price the pieces individually. I ended up buying the Vortec set, even though mine is carbureted.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:41 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Depending on what price you are finding for a '96-'02 Vortec gasket set, it may be cheaper to go this route.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fel-Pro-Gas...l/390878103016

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fel-Pro-MS9...frcectupt=true

Not sure how these compare to the FelPro's

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-Chevy-V8...frcectupt=true

EDIT: I did a little searching and found these.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fel-ms901312
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE

Last edited by Captainfab; 03-27-2019 at 12:48 AM. Reason: added info
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:21 PM   #4
zac

I’m late to this game like I said, wondering if that last gasket set is something new from Felpro. Most stuff I have read insists the 98000T intake gasket with the metal in that center “dead zone” where there are no bolts is the way to go. When I looked at marine gasket sets from Felpro I noticed they offered top end sets that mentioned you could upgrade your intake gasket to the 98000T, for more money of course.

Playing around with part numbers, years and models on Rockauto I found the Felpro KS2678. For ‘86 bigger trucks with a 350. One piece year seal, but older style intake and valve cover gaskets. Could use those on another project and then order the appropriate intake gasket separately for this project. Would be great to get the cheaper one, might be worth a shot. Hard to believe Felpro would want to put out something they know is inferior.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:50 PM   #5
garyd1961

I ordered a gasket set for some Elderbrock E200 heads and edelbrock intake once and it came with a set of Felpro intake gaskets. I don't have the part number right now but they are the really thick paper gaskets. I used these and Elderbrock gasket sealer on four vortec motors so far without any signs of a leak. I'll try find the part number if you are interested.
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:17 PM   #6
zac

If you could come up with the part # without too much trouble it would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-27-2019, 07:46 PM   #7
garyd1961

I ordered a set for Edelbrock heads and intake and it came with Felpro 1255 intake gaskets and this sealant. It works like contact cement, you put it on both surfaces and let it almost completely dry then assemble. you have be right the first time because it doesn't come back apart, I use a couple of studs to line up the intake. I glue the whole gasket not just the ports. The only draw back is you have a hard time taking the intake back off. I wouldn't do it but I'll bet after it sets you could take the intake bolts out throw them away and it would never leak.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Edelbrock-9...3007470385?epi

As I said I have used these gaskets and sealant on 4 different motors, 2 with aluminum heads and 2 with factory cast iron vortec heads and never had a problem. I have one of them in my truck now and have been driving it for over 2 years.

Last edited by garyd1961; 03-27-2019 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:32 PM   #8
zac

Thanks. Interesting that after all the apparent issues with intake gaskets for these heads that a sort of universal gasket like the 1255 would work well. I guess the secret is it’s thickness.

We all know how things can blow up and get out of control on the old interweb. Looking at posts from 10-15 years ago, people were cursing at and insulting each other over which was the “correct” Vortec intake. I do know that the factory gasket from the engine I pulled my heads off had failed. Was clearly sucking oil from the lifter valley into a pair of intake ports.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:17 PM   #9
garyd1961

I sold a motor to my cousin who wanted to use the heads on another motor. He said he almost couldn't get the intake off and asked me to install the intake on the new motor for him with the same gaskets and sealer.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:25 AM   #10
The Rocknrod

FelPro MS 98000 T Intake Manifold Gasket Set. - https://www.autopartskart.com/sku/fp...xoCq4kQAvD_BwE
Explanation of Why:
https://youtu.be/30M4_hFUpN8
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 03:51 PM   #11
toolboxchev

dont forget about your quench
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 04:32 PM   #12
Tom
driving is in my blood

Use a vortec gasket set. Blocks are the same. Why lower the compression? Vortec motors run 9.4:1 factory with 87 octane, I did when I put one with a carb in my 79 pickup too. Besides, bigger head gasket throws off quench. I'd leave it alone.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote