The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-12-2020, 11:07 AM   #26
BenC10

Re: Fuel or air problems on a 70 c10 with 1 barrel Rochester

Going to wire up the HEI today and where I thought the original ignition wire was replaced is maybe factory? The red/pink wire in the ignition spot goes to the throttle solenoid and the braided ign. Wire is spliced into it further on down... Is this actually the factory setup? I can't seem to find an example of this in any wiring diagram.
Attached Images

BenC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:53 PM   #27
BenC10

Got the HEI installed and set the timing, and it seems to run great in the driveway, but low and behold... Still dying out on the road.

I tried setting the float as about as low and as high as it could go, but no change in behavior.

I'm seriously considering a Holly 2 barrel because this Monojet is driving me nuts! I may make one more effort to clean it out, just in case something has gotten into the jet.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:16 PM   #28
vince1

Can you get full flow from the tank to the fuel pump? I guess it would take two to check that.
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 11:31 PM   #29
BenC10

I'm not sure I follow. I do have a guage right near the carb and that's reading between 3 and 5 psi. I also currently have a clear filter right before the pump, and while there is fuel there, it also seems to never fully fill with fuel. The carb bowl always seems full when I check as well.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:55 AM   #30
vince1

I have seen fuel starvation a couple of times. Once in an early seventies forestry truck that had been taken in numerous times and finally they flushed the tank to find a piece of paper bag that was floating around in there and occasionally covering the filter. Another time a new diesel pick up was hard to start and some guy found a pin hole leak in one of the lines at the back. Oh I just thought of another one. A Ford again, an F350 V-10 was having a lot of trouble and a piece of rubber fuel line had shrunk down in diameter restricting its flow.

I was mentioning this also because these trucks are old and the tanks can make crud from old fuel and rubber lines can deteriorate. Maybe try blowing back through the line and you might dislodge something. Not with compressed shop air because you might blow the filter off.

Last edited by vince1; 05-15-2020 at 11:09 AM.
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 12:26 PM   #31
BenC10

Thanks! I had convinced myself it can't be starvation because every time i immediately shut off the truck and check, it has fuel in the bowl and in the lines, but I think that is the right line of thinking. There is really fine sediment in the fuel filters, so I'm thinking its either clogging the carb filter, the fuel passage in the carb or perhaps the tank itself.

I'm going to rebuild the carb again and clean it out really well and change the internal filter, hoping that maybe it's been steadily filling up with crap somewhere.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:36 AM   #32
BenC10

I completely disassembled the carb and cleaned out each passage way thoroughly and changed out the carb fuel filter (small amount of sediment in the filter). Now it drives without sputtering or stalling out completely, even under load.

So that pretty much confirms the original issue (stalling out uphill). I'm going to change out the old fuel tank and relocate it under the bed.

Thanks everyone for your helpful advice!