The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-28-2008, 11:52 AM   #26
redneckbilly

Re: suburban gas eater

sorry i didn's see few

NK3
NY1
NZZ
N33
redneckbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 12:35 PM   #27
ChevyTech

NA4 EMISSION SYSTEM, GVW,AB0VE 8500 LB
NA5 EMISSION SYSTEM, FEDERAL, TIER O
NM8 LEADED FUEL SYSTEM,

NK3 STEERING WHEEL, SPORT, SOFT RIM, SIMULATED LEATHER
NY1 SHIELD, FUEL TANK
NZZ SALES PACKAGE, SKID PLATE OFF ROAD SPOT
N33 STEERING COLUMN, TILT TYPE

What I take from this is it has US federal emissions equipment which is for in the U.S. except California where there are stricter emissions standards.
Gross vehicle weight about 8500 pounds – heavy duty emissions.

I will pull out a general motors emissions manual and see what I can find.
ChevyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 02:23 PM   #28
ChevyTech

I don’t have a 1992 manual but in the 1993 manual here is what I found.

The 1993 manual show trucks above 8500 GVW, automatic transmission, 350 V8, C/K, federal tier 0 emissions use a “Port” EGR valve.

The solenoid on a port EGR system is technically an EVRV which stands for electronic vacuum regulator valve.

In the 1993 manual, the wire colors for the three wires to the EVRV are: Gray, Black/white, Pink/black. This matches your photo.

I am waiting to hear what the manifold looks like where the EGR valve should mount. Is there a plate bolted over the holes? Did somebody put plugs in the holes? Where there never any hole machined into the manifold?
Old 11-30-2008, 02:10 PM   #29
redneckbilly

hey

i hope you have nice sunday, i spent whole day under my girlfriend's peugeot. little french realy got my nerves burning i never saw that you have to put out almost whole fuel delivery system just to change spark plugs...lol

anyway this is what i found on burb.. maybe you can see something from that.

and yes there is some strange plug under the injection does it belong here?
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2008, 04:36 PM   #30
ChevyTech

The plug in the second picture is where the vacuum assisted brake booster usually gets its vacuum from.

Does the one you are working on have Hydra-boost (hydraulic booster using fluid from the power steering pump)?

Your first picture shows, there are no holes in the intake manifold for an EGR valve. This is clearly not a regular production vehicle. It most likely does not have a standard prom (chip) in the ECM (computer). You can not use service manual to diagnose or repair this problem. You will need to concentrate on fundamental causes of pining (spark knock) (pre-ignition)

Test the fuel pressure.
Test for restricted exhaust.
Consider the quality of fuel in it.
Is the engine running to hot?
Check the ignition timing. Has the timing been changed – distributor turned or removed?

Make sure Nothing rattles, clicks, ticks, knocks or is loose anywhere on or in the engine OR transmission.

Code 43 can be the hardest code to find the cause of.

I will make a separate reply with instruction on testing fuel pressure and ignition timing.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:39 PM   #31
ChevyTech

Here is some info about fuel pressure testing I saved from a previous reply I made to a similar post. Hope the links still work.

C/K truck TBI systems do not have a fuel pressure test port, but the pressure must be tested with the engine running.

The fuel pressure is tested by using fittings to “T” in a pressure gauge. I like to T in the pressure gauge where the fuel filter is located. If the pressure is good, both the pump and regulator are ok. If the pressure is low it could be the pump or the regulator. If the test is done with a method that allows the fuel filter to be in place, a dirty filter can also cause low pressure. The regulator is inside the TBI unit. Stopping the flow in the return line momentarily will test to see if a low pressure problem is caused by the regulator. A bad regulator can let the fuel return to the tank instead of maintaining the correct pressure. If pinching off the return line, using care not to damage the return line hose, makes a low pressure reading surge above the specification pressure, then the regulator is the problem.

The TBI fuel pressure specification for small block Chevy’s is 9 – 13 PSI with the truck running.

Here are some web sites showing fuel pressure test equipment. The first tool gets installed where the fuel filter goes. Most people use the tool in the third site next to the TBI unit.

I you already have a pressure gauge like shown in the second web site below, all you need is the tool shown on the first web site. If not, the third would get the pressure tested for the least money.

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/ta37650.html

http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16174

http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16175

http://www.cfm-tech.com/catalog/fuel...er_2940807.htm

Another addition to the list:
http://www.tradervar.com/cgi-bin/sto...;page=3641.htm
Old 11-30-2008, 04:42 PM   #32
ChevyTech

Setting ignition timing:

To set the timing you must unplug the set timing connector, which is a single Tan wire with a black stripe/tracer on it.

Unplug the set timing wire, set the timing to zero using a timing light (strobe), re-connect the set timing wire, and then clear the trouble code.

For 1988-1993 C/K trucks
The set timing wire is located, under the hood, on the main harness that goes from the engine to the firewall, on the passenger side, sometimes underneath the black plastic cover (if it’s still there) that covers the junction block, relays & fuses. It’s near the top usually on the back side of the harness. From the factory there is what looks like black tape around the harness holding the set timing wire to the back of the harness. Doing this will set a code 42 in the computer. Clear the code after you are done checking or setting the timing.

On the truck you are working on the timing specification should be Zero degrees.

Last edited by ChevyTech; 11-30-2008 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:30 AM   #33
redneckbilly

thanks for such good description. since i am just hoby "mechanic" on cars i don't have nothing of that tools so it seams like christmass shopping for my shop.
i'll do that as soon as possible. and get back to you with informations found.

but now i'm out of order because may back stuck on monday so i have to put all that on side untill i'll get back in working condition.

what i understood is that this vehicle doesn't have EGR at all? so nothing missing on that conection and bracket mounted on valve cover empty with that couse?
Old 12-03-2008, 12:09 PM   #34
ChevyTech

Quote:
what i understood is that this vehicle doesn't have EGR at all?
Correct

Quote:
so nothing missing on that conection and bracket mounted on valve cover empty with that couse?
Correct