The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-05-2002, 01:55 PM   #1
Canada20

292 to 454 in a 2dw

Hey all. Lots of questions from me this morning.

What parts am I going to need to track down to put a 454 in place of my 292? This will be in a 4-spd 2wd 3/4ton. Here's what I know so far (I think);

bellhousing crossmember
engine mounts
flywheel
clutch assembly

From what I can figure, the bellhousing should be the same and my clutch linkage should work alright.

Many thanks

Greg
Old 11-05-2002, 02:05 PM   #2
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Your bell will work, but the clutch linkage is different(bell crank, rods .,& frame bracket/block bracket). the d shaft will be too short, & you will need all brackets/ pulleys, waterpump ect on the front. You will want to swap to a 4 row rad (if you havent already)& a BB fan shroud. some of the eng compartment wiring will be routed different, but can usually be relaced. Good luck......crazyAL
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 02:12 PM   #3
Canada20

Quick response, thanks Al.

I have a donor truck that the engine is coming out of which is (or should be!) complete so accesories and such hopefully won't be a problem. Showing off my lack of knowledge on this; if I went to a hydraulic clutch, that would take care of linkage? I'm just thinking that if I have to get a new clutch and linkage parts anyway, why not upgrade is the cost isn't too different.

Greg
Old 11-05-2002, 02:21 PM   #4
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

You might look around, I think Mcleaod(spell?) puts out a hydraulic throwout bearing that mounts to the front of the trans......only 1 line running out of the bell up to the master. It would be a bunch better than 30yr old linkage......
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 11:17 AM   #5
Canada20

OK...I had a quick look on the 'net yesterday for McLeod stuff and found a couple of articles where they installed them but not much info on where to get them or how much they cost. They look like a pretty slick little unit. I'll see if I can track down any more info on them on the net.

Thanks for the lead,

Greg

(It looks like the McLeod hydraulic unit would be a good thing to look for when I try the Auto-Manual swap in my Mustang; it's not all that common to find a good z-bar setup from an original mustang as the 4-speed cars were collectible enough that I think the 3-speed cars have already been scavenged. Not that I dared mention f*rd on here )

Last edited by Canada20; 11-06-2002 at 11:20 AM.
Canada20 is offline   Reply With Quote